Archery Success Tips

Long Cut

WKR
It’s the off season, but everyday we can improve ourselves. With that being said, what is one thing that’s increased your hunting success with archery equipment? Deer, bear, elk, turkeys etc doesn’t matter the species.

Personally for me it’s been properly tuning my bow, arrows and learning correct shooting form. Practice is only good if it’s QUALITY practice (good form, mechanics, proper tune...)

bsnedeker

WKR
Shooting every day from longrange (for me it's 80 to 90 yards). As long as the weather is bearable I get out and shoot at least 3 arrows from long range every day. Helps keep muscle memory, and shooting long range forces me to focus on every aspect of my form, every single time. When I have a bad shot from that range it means my arrows are going into my backstop (horsemat), and it's a BITCH pulling arrows out of that thing so I am motivated to be as perfect as possible. If I have bad form at 40 yards I'm still hitting the target so I tend to shrug off bad shots more than when I shoot at distance.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The archery part has never been a hindrance to my success. It's all a matter of getting the animals to cooperate and give me a good shot angle, or open shot. I'd rather have my bow in my hands than a ML. I'm a lot more confident in my bow shooting.

NB7

WKR
Simple patience. Not rushing the shot and letting the encounter play out

Yeah, it’s really like any other form of hunting. Learn the woodsmanship needed to find and get in range of game. Sure practice and equipment help. But being a good enough within your range limits is all that’s needed. Let’s face it, archery equipment from 10, 15, 20 years ago is more than good enough to shoot game.

Regarding practice though, practice shooting how you will shoot when hunting. From a treestand, sitting in a ground blind, shooting up or downhill. Etc. Just like with a rifle, the bench is for zeroing, load testing, and getting little holes close together. Get off the bench if you are practicing for hunting.

Also, have a checklist you go through in your mind when you are getting ready to take a shot. It should be ingrained so in the heat of the moment when drawing on an animal you automatically go through that list helping ensure good form and a good shot. All the high end equipment in the world is useless if you lose your composure during the shot.

nphunter

WKR
Don't stand behind anything when an animal is coming in, ungulates see movement. Being aggressive when it comes to elk hunting has been a major contributor to my success. Practice enough that you are confident anytime you draw back your bow.

Don't stand behind anything when an animal is coming in, ungulates see movement. Being aggressive when it comes to elk hunting has been a major contributor to my success. Practice enough that you are confident anytime you draw back your bow.
I hear this a lot. As a whitetail hunter I feel like they pick you out so much easier.

Rellim33

FNG
Trying to slow down and not rush, from getting dressed, walking in, putting up the sticks on the tree and attaching the platform, and hopefully the shot.
As it’s said. Fast is slow, slow is fast…

Hossway17

FNG
I’m obsessing with what type of arrows I should be using. I might switch between target and hunting arrows. Not sure yet.

Syng2015

FNG
I’m obsessing with what type of arrows I should be using. I might switch between target and hunting arrows. Not sure yet.
Not really a difference. Hunting arrows tend to be heavier, slightly more durable, but otherwise identical. Target arrows tend to be more slick for removing from targets. Read about a guy using VXTs for hunting. I'm sure they work because that's all I've heard about it.

MattB

WKR
It doesn't much matter and frankly spending time worrying about things like that is almost guaranteed to be counter-productive to you becoming a better bowhunter.

I think the single best piece of advice I ever got early on, and the one I share the most as far as killing deer, is if you can see a deer's eye when you try to draw he can see you.

I’m going to leave my rangefinder in my truck and when I get to a destination, I’m going to start guessing ranges to various things and then check my guess so I can get better at estimation, especially with hills.

I missed my elk two years ago because I had the math backwards on adjust for elevation. I actually exactly guessed the straight line distance. The arrow went right where I wanted it left to right (just slightly behind the shoulder), but it went a couple inches over its back 😔. That would have only been a .5 mile pack out too!

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Best "practice" I've done is drawing on most deer I see while hunting, regardless of whether I'm planning on shooting. That is one of the most critical parts of the actual hunt, and practice is hard to come by.

My dad started us kids doing that with our fiberglass toy bows when we were sitting with him, and I still do it when the opportunity is there. You learn a lot about how the animals react, but also how your perception of time/movement might not be actual.