Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Mechanical

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Guillotine

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

rootacres

WKR
So, most of us are finished chasing big game. I am switching into turkey mode as I have an open invitation to bow hunt turkeys this spring. My question is/are, what is your broadhead setup? Do you use fixed, mechanical, or the guillotine style? I have a pretty bombproof whitetail setup. just wondering if I should rock that or change my setup. Thanks

Fowl Play

WKR
You want big blades for turkeys. Fixed or mechanical, as long as they are big.

The only thing I change from my big game set up to turkey is the broad head. I’ll be using a large cut mechanical of some kind just haven’t decided on which one yet. Most likely a reaper.

dtrkyman

WKR
I voted mechanical but have shot many with the guillotine or bullheads, they are fun and deadly but they really suck in the wind!

Jethro

WKR
I purchased a pack of vortex 125 2-3/4 about 4 years ago. I thought they would make a terrific turkey BH. Sadly I haven’t gotten a shot since. That is the extent of my mechanical BH experience. Have killed a handful with FBBH.

HEAD SHOTS ONLY!!! Trust me after 40 years of bowhunting turkeys you will have lots of heartache any other way. They can fly and often don't bleed. Don't believe the videos. I would like to know the truth of how many birds have been lost. You shoot them in the head and it is over.
Solid Decap heads....the rest will bend and break. These are awesome heads.
look closely here, head hanging by the skin only.
IMG_6999.jpg

wyogoat

WKR
I shoot the Magnus Bullheads and have bow shot turkey’s with about every head you can; small fixed, large expandables and the Bullheads (or Guillotines) dump them in the deeks 100 percent of the time.
Nebraska double with Bullheads below..
What I have found is it’s best to keep shots within 25 yards but it’s venom inside that distance.

2016-03-27 16.08.08.jpeg

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
I have killed every turkey I have shot with 1.75" cut 3 blade mechs. Aim for the hip joints on broadside shots or the spine (middle of back or top of beard)on frontal or rear shots. They normally don't go far. I have never lost one I hit solid.

They are tricky to shoot as they are mostly feathers. It's easy to hit the feathers, but actually miss. I have to take a second and use the bare leg and neck to visualize where the body is before shooting.

I have not tried the guillotine type heads, but they look like they would be hard to get to fly good and a pain to miss blind windows with.