Arizona Unit 28 OTC Advice

msw08d

FNG
Hey guys,

First post her so first off I would like to say hello from Florida and form a long time lurker thanks for all the info. I am looking to plan a December OTC mule deer trip somewhere in southern arizona. Since I have to buy the hunting license for bonus points so I figure why not put it to use. I originally wanted to do unit 27 but it is not open when I will be able to get time off. Therefore I am leaning towards Unit 28 possibly in the turtle mountain area. Is anyone familiar with this area? I am looking for a rough area and from the maps and google earth it looks pretty good. Just wanted to see if I might be on the right track and if there are actually mulies in the area. Thanks!!

bohntr

WKR
Just remember, in general mule deer inhabit the desert flats while Coues Deer inhabit the mountain areas. This may affect where you plan on hiking into?

OP
M

msw08d

FNG
Hey Bohntr thanks for getting back to me. Maybe I just got too focused on getting away from others and need to focus more on where the mulies are hanging out at. Being from florida and having never hunted out west its kind of a challenge trying to find a good place to start. I really want to get away from the crowds and it seems everywhere I look there is some kind of hiking or atv trail.

I agree an access being too easy in az but don't mention that you will be outcast. We love our road hunting here. Funny thing about unit 28 is it never gets mentioned. I don't know anyone here who hunts it or even mentions it. There some cool country for sure. Not sure why its not in the limelight at all. I have found it gets pretty quiet during the week in any unit here. Most I think hunt weekends only on rifle and archery unless its a premium tag. Wish I had some help for you but I onlybdrive through 28 and don't know much.

OP
M

msw08d

FNG
Thanks for the responses guys I've been scouring google earth and I've only come up with a few possibilities so far. Here's an area that I have been considering. In your opinion is this too steep and deep for mule deer country??

Mulies.jpg

I'm not going to say there are no mule deer in there. However without knowing the area, I'd say thats more of a white tail area.

cubamex

FNG
I have the 2nd hunt . It's a tough hunt. I've seen mule deer in higher parts of the unit. Lots of water hit the unit last month, should be a good hunt.

Last edited:
OP
M

msw08d

FNG
Thanks for that info Bohntr and as to driving or flying im not sure yet but probably leaning towards flying as it would be quite the drive. Unfortunately that adds a lot of logistics problems in regards to getting the meat back home if I were lucky enough to get one. Are you familiar with the area bojangles?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
As to flying the meat back I use two soft sided coolers never had a problem yet. Deer really don't have tons of meat when de boned