Arkansas?

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
A friend and I are looking into places that might fill our need for adventure and freezers within about 8 hours driving time (give or take) from DFW in case we ever encounter some time off during hunting season, and one thing I noticed is all the USFS land in western Arkansas.

Doing a little research, it appears like it has some potential but the legalities of shooting something there seem a little cloudy since in that state require a "wma permit" for shooting deer on public land. At first I didn't pay it much mind, but then realized that the state classifies parts of the national forest as WMA's.

Therefore I must ask, since I can't seem to find any leads on what this area is like, what the legalities are, and frankly I just want to know if it's doable as a last minute DIY, hunting and camping trip.

If it is just some well kept secret that you don't want getting out and publicized like southwest Colorado, then let me know and I'll delete this lol

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

My distant family is from there. I have hunted that country a ton. If you want to go on a camping trip and perhaps practice your bush craft, have at it. If you want to hunt, don't waste your time.

If you are from DFW, why are you leaving Texas? Their is a ton of public land hunting. Have you looked at the Type 2 hunts? Have you looked at Sam Houston? Texas has more public land than it gets credit for. I have killed deer in Corsicana just 1 hour south of Dallas on public land (archery only).

Back to Arkansas...beautiful place, but a pumpkin patch of 4 wheeler hunters that know every inch of that ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Btaylor

WKR
The wma's and federal ground all vary. There are only a couple that are permit draw for archery so pretty much all the public ground in the state is open for bowhunting without a permit unless during the time frame for a ML or MG permit hunt. There are some wma's that do not require a permit but many do. I am not familiar with the western side of the state as I do all of my hunting either in the SE part of the state on public or north central on private. The license is relatively in expensive esp for what you get with 6 deer tags(2 bucks) and 2 turkey tags. We have a very healthy population, there are no areas of the state that don't have good hunting that I am aware of. Trophy potential is not what you would think of in comparison to many Midwestern states but you can certainly get on nice deer on all of the public ground in the state. Like most other places hunting public ground has its people challenges but we have a lot of public ground and you can normally get away from folks with a little effort.

Not sure if you're looking to gun hunt or bow hunt. The West side of the state that has national forest is mostly the Ouachita National Forrest, within it are several management areas including Muddy Creek and Winona. I don't believe either require a permit to gun or bow hunt. That area of the state is not known for it's quality of deer (antler size) but I don't think you'd have any problem filling a tag with a little hard hunting. Realizing that the adventure is probably going to be bigger than the deer you kill. It does have a great bear population though. I hunt the east side of the state (delta) which is more known for it's quality, however most management areas and NWRs are going to be bow only other than a couple short permit gun hunts which you're too late for this year. I don't gun hunt, but my opinion is if you are coming to gun hunt I'd probably look elsewhere, If you are coming to bowhunt I think it's worth a shot. Good Luck

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Not really worried about the size of deer, and to be honest the bear population is what attracts me.

I actually have family just west of the bootheel of missouruh with some great deer on their property, but kinda wanted to try something different and not keep mooching off them.

Me, my dad, my brother and my middle boy are going to float the Buffalo and hunt this November in the Buffalo National River Wilderness. We were wanting to do exactly what you are. A small backcountry experience compared to western states by should be a blast and something my 8 yr old can keep up with. Lots of public land to get lost on. And I know there are some plenty big bucks to be had back in there. Just have to work for them just like any other mature game animal. Good luck! Hope you have an awesome hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyatt G

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the wma's don't require you to draw a special permit(at least in the western part of the state), but if they do it will be stated in the regs for that wma. Like jeff martin said there's a lot of 4wheeler hunters but there's also a lot of places to get away from them. You don't have to get very far off the roads either to be by yourself, we have quite a few wilderness areas also that don't get hunted very hard. We have a healthy population of bears but if you don't hunt with dogs or over bait they are extremely hard to get. You shouldn't have any problems filling a deer tag, in the mountainous parts of the state they most likely won't be huge but possibility for a bruiser is there. All of these bucks are from the ozark nf.
IMG_3902.jpgIMG_0893.jpgIMG_0894.jpg

Wyatt G

Lil-Rokslider
Also the hunt that liwolverine described is very high on my list of hunts to do, a fantastic hunting experience along with world class smallmouth fishing.

Btaylor

WKR
Not really worried about the size of deer, and to be honest the bear population is what attracts me.

I actually have family just west of the bootheel of missouruh with some great deer on their property, but kinda wanted to try something different and not keep mooching off them.

If there place is on the ridge west of the boot heel there are some great deer killed in that area very year. Ouachitas would be an entirely different type hunt with little to no agriculture in the area, plenty of hills and big timber. Good hunting though.

Btaylor

WKR
Me, my dad, my brother and my middle boy are going to float the Buffalo and hunt this November in the Buffalo National River Wilderness. We were wanting to do exactly what you are. A small backcountry experience compared to western states by should be a blast and something my 8 yr old can keep up with. Lots of public land to get lost on. And I know there are some plenty big bucks to be had back in there. Just have to work for them just like any other mature game animal. Good luck! Hope you have an awesome hunt.

Keep in mind that area is now a cwd zone. Regs are different so be sure to check that stuff out.

When I was in DFW I could get to some great hunting in 10-12 hours, both in NM and CO.

People who are saying hunt in Texas don't realize that it is all private land and you get to pay for the privilege of shooting anything with horns. Also anything close to a major city will cost a lot more, things that aren't close to a major city are like 4-6 hours away. If you don't own land or know someone who does hunting in Texas is hard as you are paying for a lease that you most likely share with people you don't know, or you are paying for a private property hunt. The plus side is if you have the money there is always something you can hunt and kill year around in Texas.

I tried doing the local thing for a few years. Yet it was cheaper for me to go and do an out of state outfitted whitetail hunt in Kansas and an DIY elk hunt in NM than it was to shoot a small deer in Texas. That includes tags, gas, food, you name it.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
When I was in DFW I could get to some great hunting in 10-12 hours, both in NM and CO.

People who are saying hunt in Texas don't realize that it is all private land and you get to pay for the privilege of shooting anything with horns. Also anything close to a major city will cost a lot more, things that aren't close to a major city are like 4-6 hours away. If you don't own land or know someone who does hunting in Texas is hard as you are paying for a lease that you most likely share with people you don't know, or you are paying for a private property hunt. The plus side is if you have the money there is always something you can hunt and kill year around in Texas.

I tried doing the local thing for a few years. Yet it was cheaper for me to go and do an out of state outfitted whitetail hunt in Kansas and an DIY elk hunt in NM than it was to shoot a small deer in Texas. That includes tags, gas, food, you name it.
Preach!! They treat deer like livestock in this state. Being in the livestock industry, I wish cattle were selling for as much as deer were.

Since I'm on the subject, I can't even hunt the land that I run cattle on. That should mean something right there!

I'm already hunting NM this year since a trophy bull elk hunt is cheaper than a dad gum "so-so" deer hunt in my home state. With that being said I'd like to explore the Ozarks or the ouachita nf some day when I get the chance.

Not only will it be pretty cool to see what it's like out there, but harvesting something for that cheap and that close would be an awesome sort of middle finger to those who charge 3000 just to shoot a few nuisance pigs and maybe a deer.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Also since I'm on the subject, BHA and other groups should be using Texas as a prime example of what hunting is like in the absence of public land.

texag10

WKR
There are areas on some of the Texas national forests that allow dispersed camping, so that is worth checking out. I've hunted there once, saw plenty of does and one spike that I wasn't 100% sure was a spike so I didn't shoot.

It's easy to get into the woods and away from people there, but it is not what I would call attractive country.

it.

Pure non sense! I have lived in Texas most of my life and although it is mainly private their are thousands and thousands of acres of public land to hunt.

Some of the best whitetail hunting in the US (Trophy) is 1.5 hours north of Dallas - public land draw hunt.

Corsicana is 1.5 hours south of Dallas. Public land , Archery only and full of deer. Cost you $45 Type 2 permit

Dam Houston?

What about the Type 2 in the panhandle?

Is Texas mainly private? Yes. It is 100% private, not even close. Unlimited opportunities for birds, varmints and deer.

Yes, I run out west every chance I get wood never compare Texas to the west but again...plenty of public hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hflier

WKR
Although I hunt it in Oklahoma, there are some decent deer in the Ouachita National Forrest, just most guys stay by the road and don't get into the nasty stuff that holds the real bucks.

View attachment 56977

Korbin

FNG

Hey man, My wife and I have have been all over the buffalo upper and lower many times doing overnights along the river. This October we are heading back to do the same, but with our archery gear. Did you all end up doing that float/hunt? interested in talking with you some about it

Hey man, My wife and I have have been all over the buffalo upper and lower many times doing overnights along the river. This October we are heading back to do the same, but with our archery gear. Did you all end up doing that float/hunt? interested in talking with you some about it
Everyone bailed on me and did that for a few years in a row and I finally started going on my own. I did a quick overnight float hunt in '18. Saw some deer but didnt get a shot. I have been going back for at least an overnighter each year. Still havent connected but its mostly by choice. Passing deer just to see what I might see at each spot and moving around to keep learning the area. I think I have a great area pinned down now that I want me and my now 13 year old son to hunt for his birthday maybe opening weekend this year. It will be a camp hunt instead of a float but I am still trying to plan a lower buf float and at least 5 days during the december muzzle loader hunt to really have the backcountry experience and start learning the lower buffalo.