Arrow help please

jte5013

FNG
So this last year my wife got a bow (edge 320) to shoot targets with me. Low 30s draw weight with 28" draw. To begin with she has been using some of my old arrows which are 400 spine and 430 grains which make her arrows slow.

She's doing this for fun only. No broadheads ever, no competitive shooting. Is there any downside to building her a really light arrow? And what about spine? The charts generally say 500, but how important is spine for never putting on broadheads?

Spine is super important for arrow flight, stiff is better than weak. She could probably shoot something like a Gold tip Velocity xt that is 500 spine and 6.3 grains per inch. She’ll have some speed with that light weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I go weak spine for targets. They are a little more forgiving in my experience.

500 will be fine, but you could go lighter. My outdoor arrows are 500 spine, cut about 27" and coming out of a 60# bow with 100 grains on the front.

So long as you stay above 5 grain per pound, which won't be hard.

OP
jte5013

jte5013

FNG
Thank you guys. I won't have a problem staying above the 5 grain per pound, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious with her arrows.

Those GT velocity were the ones I was looking at too

You may be able to weaken the ones you have by increasing the point weight, a lot. Why go light at all if you have arrows already? $10 in field points is way cheaper than new arrows.

Speed (a light arrow) doesn’t matter at all for indoor target?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jte5013

jte5013

FNG
She has a mismatched set of arrows as another reason for getting new. She will do 3d courses with me, and doesn't like pin gapping for various ranges at the moment. And the more I can do to make it enjoyable for her, the better for me in the long run.

She has a mismatched set of arrows as another reason for getting new. She will do 3d courses with me, and doesn't like pin gapping for various ranges at the moment. And the more I can do to make it enjoyable for her, the better for me in the long run.

Gotcha. Yep that makes sense now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lot of truth right there.

I'd recommend a slider, even if it is a cheap one. Something she can set and hold dead on.

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
My wife shoots 32ish pounds on her safari/3d bow and we were having a really hard time getting any distance out of her sight. I ended up building her a 700 spine arrow with the lowest gpii could find with a 50gr glue in point. They are sub 300taw and she can get 100 yards out of her slider now which was the goal. They tuned no problem at all and she shoots great with them. Don't be afraid to think outside the box.