Arrow Set-up for Low Poundage Whitetails

My brother asked me to set up his arrows for this fall, so I'm trying to find a good low poundage short draw setup.

His specs are a #35-40 and "22 draw. IBO on his bear Legit is around 315fps I believe, so it's not a super-fast bow. Don't have a chrono, so don't know any actual speeds he's getting.

I'm planning to set him up with Easton FMJ 4mm, and try get total arrow weight around 500 gr.

For broadheads I was thinking QAD Exodus, or Tooth of the Arrow.

Anybody have any recommendations or things I should change to that setup?

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
8-10gpp is plenty with a compound and 2 blade. I’ve killed dozens of critters with 42-43lb recurve at 25 inch draw shooting a 500 grain arrow.

Me personally I would build him an arrow close to 400 grains with a 2 blade on the end and keep the shots as close as possible, then go kill some critters!

His bow will be producing around 20-25 ft-lbs of kinetic energy. For perspective, that's about 25-35% the amount of KE an average adult (i.e., 28" at 60-70 lbs) shooting a modern compound bow has to work with. His bow is still capable of killing a deer, but broadhead design and shot selection become increasingly important with low energy setups. I would recommend a 2-blade broadhead of modest cutting diameter (e.g., Cutthroat, Iron Will S-series, VPA) and limiting shots to broadside only within 20 yds. Those factors are more important than arrow weight/speed. That said, 500 gr total arrow weight seems a bit high to me; I think I would target around 400 gr.

FWIW if it were my money, I would be hesitant to buy expensive skinny arrows that he's soon going to outgrow (I'm assuming he's young and moving up in draw weight/length). Standard diameter (.245"/6.5mm) arrows have been killing deer for decades and are typically significantly cheaper than comparable 4-5mm arrows.

Last edited:
OP
Bowhunter'07
His bow will be producing around 20-25 ft-lbs of kinetic energy. For perspective, that's about 25-35% the amount of KE an average adult (i.e., 28" at 60-70 lbs) shooting a modern compound bow has to work with. His bow is still capable of killing a deer, but broadhead design and shot selection become increasingly important with low energy setups. I would recommend a 2-blade broadhead of modest cutting diameter (e.g., Cutthroat, Iron Will S-series, VPA) and limiting shots to broadside only within 20 yds. Those factors are more important than arrow weight/speed. That said, 500 gr total arrow weight seems a bit high to me; I think I would target around 400 gr.

FWIW if it were my money, I would be hesitant to buy expensive skinny arrows that he's soon going to outgrow (I'm assuming he's young and moving up in draw weight/length). Standard diameter (.245"/6.5mm) arrows have been killing deer for decades and are typically significantly cheaper than comparable 4-5mm arrows.
Do you think the Oz cut 2 blade would work? Them Iron Wills are spendy:)

nphunter

WKR
I would drop down the arrow weight to 400ish, 500gr and he will need 3 pins, 10-15-20yds, my wife and kids have shot a similar setup in the past, and that heavy of an arrow is just too much unless he plans on using a range finder before every single shot no matter the distance.

Last fall my son shot a 4pt mule deer and got a pass through at 30 yards with a 400gr arrow, he's got a 28" draw but was only pulling 40lbs, he also shot an expandable with zero issues. If I were you I would look at German Jager heads, they fly awesomely, are sharp, and penetrate very well. I'm not advocating to use expandables, I mentioned that because if my son had the energy to push a 3 blade expandable all the way though a mule deer then your brother will have no issues shooting a sharp COC 2 blade like the Jager though a whitetail even though he has a shorter draw.

Here's a link, you can find them a lot of places for like $25.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve been killing whitetails for years at around 7 gpp with Thunderhead 100 broadheads.

Zero chance I would ever use a fmj or anything other than a standard diameter arrow.

Good luck in your search.

Rob5589

WKR
I think I'm going to go with the Dead Ringer Butcher broadheads.
Anyone used them?

Look like Magnus knock offs. Plus it says discontinued. Try these...

His draw weight isn't a significant issue. His draw length is what hinders him somewhat. Something in the 375-400 grain taw with a bh like above will work no problem.

Marble

WKR
Just asked him and he said it's 23" now
My wife is 5'4" with a 27" draw length. I'm just wondering if that's really the correct number for him. Seems off.

Knowing his effective range could help too.

I would probably shoot for something around 400 grains with a good fixed blade.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
Bowhunter'07
My wife is 5'4" with a 27" draw length. I'm just wondering if that's really the correct number for him. Seems off.

Knowing his effective range could help too.

I would probably shoot for something around 400 grains with a good fixed blade.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
His draw length seems to be correct as far as I can tell.

I would say his effective range is somewhere around 25 yards right now... but he's got the whole summer to practice yet.

From experience with my son years ago. Forget the idea of arrow weight and base it on tune (will need a 600 spine maximum). I would tip that arrow with a 85 grain Magnus Buzzcut (7/8" cut with greater than a 2 to 1 ratio on blade angle). Do not get heavy with his arrow, or he will not be able to hit anything. 300-350 grains will be more than plenty with a quality head.

I would also recommend a moveable single pin as trajectory will still require almost exact yardage to make an accurate shot.

Beendare

WKR
8-10gpp is plenty with a compound and 2 blade. I’ve killed dozens of critters with 42-43lb recurve at 25 inch draw shooting a 500 grain arrow.

Me personally I would build him an arrow close to 400 grains with a 2 blade on the end and keep the shots as close as possible, then go kill some critters!
I would agree…500 is too much.
Go lighter, a 2 blade turns any good flying arrow into a killer.

Reactions: Zac
OP
Bowhunter'07
From experience with my son years ago. Forget the idea of arrow weight and base it on tune (will need a 600 spine maximum). I would tip that arrow with a 85 grain Magnus Buzzcut (7/8" cut with greater than a 2 to 1 ratio on blade angle). Do not get heavy with his arrow, or he will not be able to hit anything. 300-350 grains will be more than plenty with a quality head.

I would also recommend a moveable single pin as trajectory will still require almost exact yardage to make an accurate shot.
It seems like 300 grains is pretty light... Guys don't even shoot that out of an adult setup because of penetration problems.

300 is light but around 400 isn’t. Guys don’t shoot 300 for penetration problems, it’s more of ridiculous nightmare for tuning. Which, will cause major penetration issues as well. I would have him shoot a 500 axis and a two blade coc. Magnus stingers or a Simmons Mako would be my choice.

NYSKIER

WKR
My wife shoots 42lb with a short draw around 23/24 can’t remember right now and has no issues up to 25/30 with cut on contact head. Shot placement is key (broadside only) and I think having a single pin is helpful

Zac

WKR
I think I'm going to go with the Dead Ringer Butcher broadheads.
Anyone used them?

Don't buy broadheads off the net unless your purchasing something like IW, Valkyrie, or Day6. This way you don't get nock offs, and it's nice to support your local shop.