Arrow spine help

Hey guys. I am currently using 125 grain heads and am looking to possibly go to 200 grain heads. I am looking for input on that point weight change and arrow spine. I am currently shooting easton axis 5 mm 300s cut at 28.5 with a 50 grain brass insert out of a 60# bowtech reign 6. Current total arrow weight is around 525 grains. Looking at online charts it looks like I should be OK going to a 200 grain head (around 600 TAW) but wanted to hear from the forum gurus - thanks for the help!

Ucsdryder

WKR
I know it’s none of my business but 600gr arrow on a 60lb bow? Sounds like a rainbow...

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
Your basically shooting a trad setup at this point. I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that you needed 200 grains. If you want to try the Ranch Fairy system I would encourage you to do the work and buy the kit with the different point weights. At least then you can walk away with the knowledge that you are using the most optimum point weight for perfect arrow flight.

OP
180splitg3
I don't know who ranch fairy is - guess I'll have to look him up. I was testing some broadheads and the head I want to try this year is a 200 grain head (maasai overkill). I am not losing as much speed as one would think going to the 200 grain head so that is not an issue. I am simply looking for input on whether my current arrow spine can handle the 200 grain head. I plan on testing myself but thought I would try to get some additional info before I start testing...

Zac

WKR
I don't know who ranch fairy is - guess I'll have to look him up. I was testing some broadheads and the head I want to try this year is a 200 grain head (maasai overkill). I am not losing as much speed as one would think going to the 200 grain head so that is not an issue. I am simply looking for input on whether my current arrow spine can handle the 200 grain head. I plan on testing myself but thought I would try to get some additional info before I start testing...
I think you should be fine. I'd run your numbers through a program both with your 50 grain insert and without. I'd probably pull 3 of the brass and replace them with Aluminum or titanium to get down to 15 or 16 grains of insert weight. Purchase some 200 grain field tips and bareshaft through paper at 21 feet. Before you tune make sure your bow is in perfect spec. Before you make any adjustments to the bow you need to turn your nocks in order to get the best hole possible. If you have a perfect bareshaft hole and your bareshaft is hitting with your field tips you can probably throw the Maasai up there as long as you have enough vane to steer it. If you decide to go with a standard Hit insert instead of brass your only looking at a 40 grain bump. Good luck.

Jimbob

WKR
with 30" draw you are weak
29" borderline weak
28" on the weak side of good
27" perfect
26" stiff side of good

I would not recommend if your draw length is over 28". You can shorten your arrows to stiffen them up though.

You are definitely on the slow side of things already and throwing 200 upfront will take away around 15 fps. Your FOC should be around 18%.

Whenever you ask about arrow spine give all the details of your set-up so someone can run it through software, I had to make some assumptions.

I get increasingly skeptical of spine charts as weight increases (most charts are based on 100-150 gr points with standard inserts), but I'd say you're probably good to a bit weak with a 300 spine at 28.5" shaft length, 600 gr TAW, 60 lb draw weight.

FWIW, I elk hunted with a 60 lb bow and 630 gr TAW GrizzlyStik 240 arrows in 2018. I was likely a bit overspined with that combo, but it tuned fine. Trajectory was tolerable, and the arrow penetrated plenty well enough on a cow elk at 40 yds. Not a full pass through, but it cut ribs coming and going and stopped with about half the shaft sticking out the offside. I've lightened those arrows up a bit to 580 gr and will be shooting them out of a 70 lb bow this year. Don't let the naysayers discourage you from shooting heavy arrows if that's what you want to do. A deep-penetrating arrow placed in the right spot is what kills animals. There are many ways to achieve that end goal, and the tradeoffs between weight and trajectory are yours to evaluate for yourself.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Conventional wisdom goes out the window with point weight that high. I would go stiff then cut the arrows long and start trimming 1/4” at a time until I get the flight I’m after. Arrow charts and software might not give you accurate numbers.

OP
180splitg3
I appreciate the input so far. My initial plan was to shoot a 125 grain maasai. After a shooting session with a friend's 125 maasai heads I decided they were extremely loud. When I shot his 200 grain non vented maasai head it was basically the same sound as a field point. We had a couple of guys sitting near the target to evaluate sound. This may not matter on a deer but it was enough to make me not want to shoot them. I know there are plenty of good 125 heads but I kind of had my decision made to go with the maasai for this year. Now I'm not sure what direction to go. I don't HAVE to go with the 200 grain heads but was trying to determine if it would be an option with my current spine. From the comments so far it sounds like I'm close to being underspined but not terrible...