Arrows/BH for moose?

Hey guys. I'm fairly new to bowhunting (2019). I need to get some Arrows/ Broadheads to use for moose hunting this fall, my DW is 65 lbs and DL is 29".
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited:
Opinions will vary quite a bit - I use a ~460gr total weight setup with a QAD Exodus 125gr head. Nothing dramatic, but for big critters I like a fixed blade head and love that QAD - took a lot of different species with it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This last year I used my normal 520gr arrows with 125gr Exodus, but also wanted to try out a mechanical head on a moose. The first arrow would have been enough, but I took a second shot while he was still standing with a 125gr GR Fatal Steel head as well. That arrow buried almost to the fletching........4-6" sticking out. But that was a CO moose........for an AK Yukon moose I'd probably stick to the fixed blade. I'm also shooting 75lbs at almost 33" draw.

mooster

WKR
Read up on Ashby’s research, real world actual trials, 650 gr is magic number for bone breaking penetration. Sure people go lighter with success but his scientific testing points to 650gr as minimum in case off an shot. also fixed single bevel, two blade.

My pig hunting experience and lack of penetration with 125’s up front has me playing with heavier weights in prep for my fall trip.

Beendare

WKR
Any good penetrating arrow set up will work.

Heck, I shot my first moose with 2213‘s and a 75 gr Rocky Brodhead total weight was probably 380 gr. I think about 100 grains more now with a fixed tapered Brodhead For better performance.

I would stay away from the forward opening mechanical heads as there’s a huge difference between the hide on a thin white tail deer and a very thick hide of the moose.

-

hodgeman

WKR
I shot a moose last fall with my bow at 55 yards. I used a 418gr arrow with a 100gr Montec. It zipped straight through and punched a 1" triangular hole in and out and even cut a chunk out of a rib. The moose was down in under 30 seconds.

I was concerned my arrow and broad head were too light, but that was a lot of useless worry. I'd probably avoid a mechanical as stated above but roll with what you're already shooting well. Finding a moose will be a lot more problematic than carrying the right arrow.

OP
Moose-rider
Thanks guys for the response!. Ok cool I guess I just need a decent amount of weight with a fixed blade Broadhead.
So I think this is what I am going to go with.

:Easton 5mm axis 300 10.7 gpi arrows at 28"
:Easton 75gr hit inserts
:Magnus 125gr two blade coc Broadhead with bleeders(either stingers or black hornets)
:9 gr xnocks
:18gr blazers
-For a total arrow weight of 526.6 gr
Does that look good?

OP
Moose-rider
Read up on Ashby’s research, real world actual trials, 650 gr is magic number for bone breaking penetration. Sure people go lighter with success but his scientific testing points to 650gr as minimum in case off an shot. also fixed single bevel, two blade.

My pig hunting experience and lack of penetration with 125’s up front has me playing with heavier weights in prep for my fall trip.
Were to find Ashby's research ?

cnelk

WKR
This last year I used my normal 520gr arrows with 125gr Exodus, but also wanted to try out a mechanical head on a moose. The first arrow would have been enough, but I took a second shot while he was still standing with a 125gr GR Fatal Steel head as well. That arrow buried almost to the fletching........4-6" sticking out. But that was a CO moose........for an AK Yukon moose I'd probably stick to the fixed blade. I'm also shooting 75lbs at almost 33" draw.

Youve mentioned your CO moose before. Was there a story or pics I missed about it?

Jimbob

WKR
Having your arrow tuned to your bow is the most important part, don't overlook the right spine for your set-up.

My dad has shot 4 moose with a 60 lb bow 29" draw and a 415 grain arrow with a two blade magnus with bleeder blades. Most importantly though is that those arrows flew perfectly from his bow.

Your arrow set-up looks great. I'm shooting the axis 300 as well but only using the regular inserts as the heavier ones would put my arrow spine on the soft side.

OP
Moose-rider
Having your arrow tuned to your bow is the most important part, don't overlook the right spine for your set-up.

My dad has shot 4 moose with a 60 lb bow 29" draw and a 415 grain arrow with a two blade magnus with bleeder blades. Most importantly though is that those arrows flew perfectly from his bow.

Your arrow set-up looks great. I'm shooting the axis 300 as well but only using the regular inserts as the heavier ones would put my arrow spine on the soft side.
Ok. So...... I honestly don't know much about archery, how do you tune your arrow to your bow?

Also what dw/dl are you?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Youve mentioned your CO moose before. Was there a story or pics I missed about it?
Didn't post a story, the only pic I posted was in some other "Moose BH" thread in the moose section. The skinny is.......I couldn't find a bull all summer while scouting, I even scoured the wilderness areas on horseback from bottom to top and in between.......cows, calves, and even sheds.....but not one bull. That's why my buddy and I turned in our elk tags in another unit, it was looking like a much harder hunt than I had expected so wanted to be there for opening day. My buddy had two weeks off, and we were ready to go.

So for opening morning we packed in to a new area I hadn't been to with lots of buck brush up high. Glassed all morning.....nothing. I had another buddy that was on his first archery elk hunt in there so that afternoon/evening we went with him to help him out. He had found an area with several torn up wallows that he wanted some input on. It was an awesome spot for sure. But no elk, bugling or otherwise so about 7pm we started heading back towards camp. Suddenly my buddy says, "Look......there's a bull moose"......that's why I take him hunting with me......he's always been my spotter. I swear the guy could spot a fawn laying in the grass from 1/2 mile away without bino's. So 600 yards away this bull came strolling out of the timber into a meadow. Even without bino's I could tell he was worth checking out.

So I took off on a dead run and eventually closed the distance to 120 yards. I put my bow above my head, tilted it back and forth while I slowly moved in, while making some moose grunts. I was in brush almost up to my arm pits, so I needed to hold the bow high anyway. He watched and then started tilting his head back and forth as well. By the time I got inside of 60 yards, I still wasn't sure whether I was going to shoot him or not. I had seen bigger bulls in there in past years, but being the first bull I had seen all year I wasn't sure if I would regret passing him up. So I shot him. First shot was 53 yards, slightly quartering away......broke a rib on entry and another on exit. He measured 47".
100_4349.JPG

Jimbob

WKR
Ok. So...... I honestly don't know much about archery, how do you tune your arrow to your bow?

Also what dw/dl are you?

If your lucky you have a good shop to go to and they will help you out. Also, go over to the archery section of Rokslide and start reading up, so much to learn. As well, youtube will be your friend, look up Nock on archery on youtube and you will learn everything you need to about tuning and shooting.

For starters what bow do you have? what is your draw weight and draw length?
With those specs, we can get a starting point on what arrow set-up you should go with.

OP
Moose-rider
I have an older Diamond Core. it's cheap but I like it .
My DW is currently 65lbs and My DL is 29" .

Maverick1

WKR
Shot one cow moose.
425 grain arrow.
291 FPS.
Fixed broadhead.

38 yard, double lung. Slightly downhill shot. Arrow zipped right through, never even found the arrow. Moose ran a short distance before falling over. Entire sequence took seconds.

Jimbob

WKR
I have an older Diamond Core. it's cheap but I like it .
My DW is currently 65lbs and My DL is 29" .
With that set-up, I would choose the following

Easton Axis 340 at 27.25" (carbon to carbon) 50-grain brass insert 125-grain head. Total arrow weight - 460 grains and that should match your bow perfectly, give you good weight, good speed, and good FOC (16%)

The Axis 300 with 75 grains would also probably work but it is a pretty stiff set-up for your bow specs.

OP
Moose-rider
Thankyou for your advice.
The Axis 300 with 75 grains would also probably work but it is a pretty stiff set-up for your bow specs
I know its a little stiff, but I have an easton arrow spine chart and it shows from a 64-69 # bow at 28 inches with 150gr point weight (only mine would be 200gr) that anywhere from 340-300 spine would work, but since I have the extra 50 gr point wieght I figured doing the stiffest spine (300)would be good.

Also, I'll probably pull a heavier draw # in the future, so I figured I could probably use the same arrows

Buried an Exodus in the right shoulder on a hard quartering shot...went so deep it could not be recovered.

Last fall I arrowed one with a 60lb bow, 380 grain arrow with Kudu broadhead, pass through and 40 yards until he piled up.