Arrows

Wilcut

FNG
I’m wondering if I need a 260 spine or 300. Also thoughts on 100 grain tip vs 125 or how heavy should my arrow be?
70lbs
29inch draw

I think there is a balance in the middle for elk and most shot opportunities and I avoid the extremes when it comes to light and fast vs slow and heavy. I like that 270-280 fps range as it gives me a comfortable and forgiving balance between arrow trajectory and good broadhead flight for the western hunting I set up for which is really elk from 20-80 yards. I also shoot 70lbs and 29 inch draw and I can get that speed with a 515 gr arrow and maintaining a decent FOC. It may take some experimenting to do but if you go with a light GPI shaft and use more weight up front you might need to go to a 250 spine. Otherwise a 300 should be fine. I am currently shooting a 8.9 gpi shaft, 100 gr insert and 125 gr broadhead. Another thing to consider is your effective range. Be honest with yourself. If you are hunting in thick timber and your shot opportunity or skill limit your range then maybe a heavier arrow works. If you are effective at longer range then find the balance knowing for elk you need to consider penetration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Therooster240g

FNG
Classified Approved
Insert weight-
Arrow length-
Ibo of bow-
There’s a couple more things that are needed to give us a better idea of what you’d need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idaboy

WKR
Would just go off manufacturer spine chart, if close/near cut off, then choose stiffer spine. Too stiff spine usually easier to tune than too weak. Aim for build of 6-8 grains per pound draw wt. Adjust components for FOC 12-15%. I usually run a 100gr BH but add insert weight to get weight/FOC I want

Here's my "keep it simple" recipe for a hunting arrow at your specs: 300 spine standard diameter (6.5mm/.245") shaft with middle-of-the-road density (9-10 gpi). Cut it about 28" carbon-to-carbon, put 175 gr total on the front (could be 125 gr head + 50 gr insert or whatever other combo you like) and 3 vanes and an unlighted nock on the back. Black Eagle Outlaw, Easton 6.5mm, Gold Tip Hunter, and Victory VForce shafts would all fit the bill and come out around 460-480 gr total. A 340 fps IBO bow at 29"/70# will push that arrow around 280-290 fps. Example spine calculation below for this recipe.
Screenshot_20240409_214049.jpg

Jon_G

WKR
1) mighty mouse is the one to listen to when it comes to archery. He knows more than any info you'll find on YouTube I can reassure you.
2) trophyhill said right. Don't get worked up on arrow weight unless you want to shoot really long distances which you shouldn't even be attempting when hunting anyway.

I went from a heavy Easton axis to a lighter victory vap arrow and achieved nothing performance wise. All I did was waste money. Easton arrow was about 490 grain 300 spine and victory arrow is at 425 I think with a 350. I like the 425 grain arrow because in theory it's faster. I would hunt elk with it personally.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
I've been told time and again by the "experts" that my arrows are too light at 390 gr's. Yet these things keep killing elk. Don't get too worked up on arrow weight. Make great shots and they die quickly and cleanly.
^^^
I wish I could like this 10000X! I left archery and just hunted with what I had for 20 years. I stopped paying attention to "the industry." I started paying attention to learn when my kids became interested. Whenever I see an arrow thread or video all that comes to mind is, "Here we go again!"

OP
W

Wilcut

FNG
Insert weight-
Arrow length-
Ibo of bow-
There’s a couple more things that are needed to give us a better idea of what you’d need

I wasn’t 100% on what insert weight I wanted yet or if I needed to add more weight in order to get everything dialed. My arrow length is 28.5. Bow weight is 70lb. Do I need to add more weight if I get a stiffer spine?

OP
W

Wilcut

FNG
Here's my "keep it simple" recipe for a hunting arrow at your specs: 300 spine standard diameter (6.5mm/.245") shaft with middle-of-the-road density (9-10 gpi). Cut it about 28" carbon-to-carbon, put 175 gr total on the front (could be 125 gr head + 50 gr insert or whatever other combo you like) and 3 vanes and an unlighted nock on the back. Black Eagle Outlaw, Easton 6.5mm, Gold Tip Hunter, and Victory VForce shafts would all fit the bill and come out around 460-480 gr total. A 340 fps IBO bow at 29"/70# will push that arrow around 280-290 fps. Example spine calculation below for this recipe.
View attachment 698736
If I already have 260 spine arrows would you recommend more or less weight? I have some Easton axis 5mm that are at 28.5 cut. Should I worry to much about the perfect FOC? Thanks.

bz_711

WKR
I've never worried about FOC. I start with broadhead I like...then work the the arrow back from there...since 100gr heads are so prevalent I've always shot them. You could get 260 and 300 to fly good out of most bows with a little tinkering.
I have 70lb bow, 300 arrows, 100gr head with 50gr brass insert. If I shot the 260 you could probably even go up to a 100gr brass insert. For me I've never had a problem shooting too stiff an arrow...only too weak of spine.

Good Luck!

Therooster240g

FNG
Classified Approved
This is my arrow build as of now.

250 @ 28” victory xv
100gr/125gr head depending on the day and distance. Won’t see any change at 30.
15gr insert
20gr collar
5” wrap
3 fletch with 2.25 tac vanes
Lumenok lighted nock

With 100gr head I’m at 420ish
Shooting a pse Omen ibo is 354 ( I think)@ 70lb 29” draw
I’m getting 307.

I personally like a stiffer spine or to at least error on the stiff side. I would say you would be fine with the 260 and standard insert and 100gr head. Just make sure the bow is tuned for that arrow. Use a hot melt for the insert if they aren’t already epoxied in so you can make adjustments if need. You can go deep into the weeds on building arrows, but that a lot of and money. Try to keep it simple and not over think too much.

If I already have 260 spine arrows would you recommend more or less weight? I have some Easton axis 5mm that are at 28.5 cut. Should I worry to much about the perfect FOC? Thanks.
I would still recommend total arrow weight around 450-500 gr. How you would get there with a 260 spine 5mm Axis would be a little different from what I described above; more of the total weight will come from the shaft and less from the head/insert because 5mm Axis is a very dense (high gpi) shaft. A 125 gr head + 16 gr aluminum hidden insert (HIT) + 3 vanes + unlighted nock on a 28.5" C2C 260 spine 5mm Axis would come out around 500 gr total with 11% FOC. Spine calculators will say that arrow is on the stiff side of "optimal" with a 70# draw weight, but modern compound bows can handle a fairly wide range of spines.

Don't worry about FOC at all; build for the total weight (and/or speed) you want and let FOC fall where it may. There is no "perfect" FOC, nor is there a perfect weight or speed. A wide spectrum of arrows can effectively kill elk; where you choose to land on that spectrum is largely a matter of personal preference. Your time and effort are better spent tuning your bow and practicing shooting than laboring over the "perfect" arrow.

1) mighty mouse is the one to listen to when it comes to archery. He knows more than any info you'll find on YouTube I can reassure you.
2) trophyhill said right. Don't get worked up on arrow weight unless you want to shoot really long distances which you shouldn't even be attempting when hunting anyway.

I went from a heavy Easton axis to a lighter victory vap arrow and achieved nothing performance wise. All I did was waste money. Easton arrow was about 490 grain 300 spine and victory arrow is at 425 I think with a 350. I like the 425 grain arrow because in theory it's faster. I would hunt elk with it personally.
when i first started bowhunting in 2008, i simply followed the Easton Arrow Chart to choose what it said was the correct spine arrow for my draw length and all that other stuff and low and behold, out of a well tuned bow, which can’t be stated enough, my arrows fly as they should with a fixed head screwed on. So my philosophy has always been, “if it aint broke, don’t fix it”. Despite what the so called experts were saying and hyping about heavy arrows. Heck, i didn’t even know how much my anrrows weighed until several years later when i started noticing all the hype about heavy arrows and FOC and all that bs. And i still enjoy almost 310 fps on arrow flight which i absolutely love about this 15 year old BT D350.