Beat arrow set up

OP
D
is that app backup and running? my phone tells me it is no longer supported. I really liked the app!

I still need a 250 spine and shooting at #70 with 125 grain bh with a 50 grain insert with 25 grain collar/sleeve and I’d still need a 30-31 inch arrow with a 29.5 inch draw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So 30 inch cut arrow with 200 upfront would be too much for a 300 spine

is that app backup and running? my phone tells me it is no longer supported. I really liked the app!
Last I heard the gentleman that produced it was done fighting with Apple and the politics of keeping it running for their platform and stopped. It was
I read the same but mine didn’t stop working.
Another user in here said the creator and manager of the app stopped doing it because the apple / Android app complications became too much. If you have the app it still works, however it can't be downloaded for new use and it's not supported any longer. It sucks because it was a good app. I use archers advantage now.

I have a 29” draw and cut my arrows to 27” carbon to carbon. You could go 27.5 easy.

I run 185 grains up front and run a 250 spine shooting 74 pounds. You will be way under spined how your thinking. Always err on the stiff side spine wise.

Marble

WKR
I still need a 250 spine and shooting at #70 with 125 grain bh with a 50 grain insert with 25 grain collar/sleeve and I’d still need a 30-31 inch arrow with a 29.5 inch draw

You might be able to keep using 300s if that arrow was 27.5-28".

200 up front is a lot. With the 250 spine it might be challenging, but I've seen it done quite a bit. I did that for one set up and it shot great, until nine got a broadhead on there.

Just taking that sleeve away would help a bit.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
D
You might be able to keep using 300s if that arrow was 27.5-28".

200 up front is a lot. With the 250 spine it might be challenging, but I've seen it done quite a bit. I did that for one set up and it shot great, until nine got a broadhead on there.

Just taking that sleeve away would help a bit.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I was planning on 30-31 depending on foc and i should be able to with a 70lb draw ,be able to shoot the 200 up front if not 175?

yeah I was planning on cutting them down to 30 instead of 31 and with a 300 spine I’m still looking to get 200 up front so 125 grain broad head with 50grain insert and a 25 grain sleeve I should be good to go wouldn’t you think?

Longer the shaft the weaker it is. The more weight on the front the weaker it is.

Why are you using such long arrows? Are you afraid of the broadhead being near your hand? This is a non issue with a full containment rest. If you are somehow unlucky enough to have a complete arrow failure upon release it will not be the broadhead that hits your hand. It'll be the arrow shaft itself ruining your day.

At your stated specs 29.5"/70# you shouldn't need a .250 spine arrow. It shouldn't even be in the running. A .300 spine arrow should be plenty for 125gr tip, 50gr insert, 25gr collar. Unless you are purposefully wanting a 600gr arrow and need the added weiggt from the stiffer spine. But there are heavy GPI shafts available in a proper spine for that application as well.

I would also skip the collar altogether as it is just one more component that needs to be absolutely square and concentric. If you want the 25gr weight then get a 75gr insert.

If I can shoot a .300 spine arrow, there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to as well.
Having a 29.5" draw length and shooting 31" arrows is absurd. I have a 31.25" draw length and my arrows are 29.125".

My arrow is as follows:
Easton ACC 3-71 cut 29.125", RPS 14gr insert, Uni Bushing, G nock, 4 fletch with Flex Fletch FFS-212 vanes, and 125gr tip. 454.4gr total 13.52% FOC
Updated it with my FOC per the Victory FOC Calculator. 29.125" nock groove to insert, 18.5" balance point. 13.52% FOC.

OP
D
I figured with the 200 grain a total it would be too much for a 300 spine. So with a 250 I’d be safe and having a impact collar so my arrow wouldn’t break just trying to make them as strong as possible

I figured with the 200 grain a total it would be too much for a 300 spine. So with a 250 I’d be safe and having a impact collar so my arrow wouldn’t break just trying to make them as strong as possible
Dynamic arrow spine is a function of more than just front end weight; shaft length also plays a significant role. It has been asked multiple times in this thread but I haven't seen you answer why you want your arrow so long. At around 28" carbon-to-carbon, 200 gr on the front of a 300 spine shaft should work fine at 70#.

Idaboy

WKR
Hey guys I was wondering what some of your arrow set ups are for elk hunting. I planned on getting a new arrow set up trying some new ideas i have a 70# with 29.5 inch draw. I planned on shooting a 150 grain bh with 25 grain jack and insert. But I didn’t know what spine I should use what are y’all thoughts ?

What is your total arrow weight goal? And what is your approx arrow speed? That would dictate my build. As others have said error on stiffer spine if on chart you are in between

OP
D
Dynamic arrow spine is a function of more than just front end weight; shaft length also plays a significant role. It has been asked multiple times in this thread but I haven't seen you answer why you want your arrow so long. At around 28" carbon-to-carbon, 200 gr on the front of a 300 spine shaft should work fine at 70#.

With a 29.5 inch draw I thought my arrows would need to be around 30-31 that’s why I figured 30-31 and I was the arrow chart on Easton and it said 250 spine.

OP
D

But it sounds like I can cut them shorter I don’t want 28 that’s a little short for my draw but 29.5-30 should be good length

But it sounds like I can cut them shorter I don’t want 28 that’s a little short for my draw but 29.5-30 should be good length
Draw length is measured at a point roughly 1.75" in front of the Berger hole (rest mounting hole) and most rests sit well behind the Berger hole. In most cases, an arrow with a carbon-to-carbon length 2" shorter than draw length will stay on the rest at full draw with a comfortable margin for error. With a shorter arrow you do have to be more careful about bow hand finger placement (i.e., don't let fingers "float" up into the arrow path). I also have a 29.5" draw length and shoot 28" arrows with no problem.

GT 340’s XT Hunters cut at 28-1/8 from throat of nock to end of carbon with a 100 gr SlickTrick screwed on for a whopping 392 gr’s of momentum at over 300 fps at 29-1/4”” DL. I’m one of the few who has not bought into needing 500 gr arrows. My Bowtech D350 loves this arrow setup. And a pile of dead elk since 2010 in my freezer aren’t saying any different.🏹🏹🏹🏹

Idaboy

WKR
Trail Kreitzer just outside out a Podcaster on arrow set ups and its pretty good, no nonsense A-Z of arrow building

I’m running 70# at 27.5 DL and just went with 300 GT hunter XT spine cut to 28 inches carbon to carbon. Sure you can run shorter than DL but I prefer the broadhead to be past my hand. I have the option to run 100-125 grain tip and decided on 125 Tooth of the Arrow 2 blade single bevel. You can really get into the weeds here and everyone is gone have their own preference and opinion.