Asking for the opinion on the best shot gun shells for Ducks and Geese?

Mike76

FNG
Asking for the opinion on the best shot gun shells for Ducks and Geese

KurtR

WKR
my gun shoots the black cloud 2's really good. going to get a case of boss shot a few of my buddies and they crush. little more expensive but i think i will shoot even less

WCB

WKR
What kind of duck and goose hunting...If the majority of the shots are going to be on decoying birds say 30 yards and in. Any reputable companies basic steel loads are going to work just fine. Pass shooting, Sea Ducks, or longer shooting most of those would still work but going to a Federal Black Cloud, Hevi Shot options would work.

#1 thing...PATTERN YOUR SHOTGUN buy a box of a few things and mess around with different shells, velocities and chokes. I can't count the times guys blame the shells or the gun and I've told them to shoot at paper and the pattern is terrible. Change chokes and amazingly they can kit/kill stuff.

Jbxl20

WKR
I just bought a box of of federal speed shocks. Probably overkill, but I’ll be pheasant hunting next week and will be trying them out.

Attachments

• EAC0CFAC-6483-455A-9EF2-7E50C923C8EF.jpeg
    EAC0CFAC-6483-455A-9EF2-7E50C923C8EF.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 21
I did a trial a few years back on a few brands to see which shot best and patterned best out of my SBE and landed on Kent.

I typically buy a case of Kent, Federal, or Remington 3" #1 and a few boxes of the same in #3. The #3 work great for pheasants and ducks over decoys. #1 for mallards, snows, and canadas. Stick a smaller shot in the chamber and back it up with the larger shot.

Anything close and it doesn't really matter. Given the supply, buy whatever you can.

Holocene

WKR
Agreed -- buy a few boxes and find what patterns well.

Other considerations are cost, the size of ducks/geese you want to kill, and average shot distance.

For the OP, 3" steel #1 or #2 would be hard to beat. #2 if you think you'll shoot more ducks, and #1 if you'll shoot more geese.

Point that hasn't been made yet ------ buy ONE SHELL that can handle most of what you do and shoot only that all season. This seems extreme, but you'll get an instinct for how this shell shoots and then hit more ducks. It's a mindscrew to try and shoot multiple types of shells in a short period of time, god forbid one hunt.

DaveinAz has a really smart blog about shotgun reloading (and buying factory shells). He does a lot of writing on steel vs. bismuth for waterfowl and will give you a thorough analysis for making choices.

I like to shoot big ducks over decoys, so realistically I shoot about 80% mallards and some pintail. Usually, I'll get invited on 1-2 cackler hunts a year. For that use case, 3" steel #2 is optimal and steel #1 could work.

On brands, price is a factor but so are other things like:
  • How dirty is the shell?
  • What color are the hulls? Can you find them easily in the marsh after a hunt?
  • Can you buy them reliably year after year?
  • Case discounts?
  • Is the shot smooth and round or does it look like metal Nerds?
Winchester Dry Lok 3" Steel #2 is a winner. Beautiful quality steel shot and burns very clean. This is worth the extra expense to me. Gotta buy a case from a place like Mack's Prairie Wings or Rogers though.

Kent is solid and budget friendly. You can buy anywhere.

Federal Power Shok (the blue box stuff) is what I'm shooting right now cause I couldn't find more Win Drylok and was on a budget last year since we had a kid. These Federals are the dirtiest, nastiest shell I've used. Unburnt powder sludge in the gun and sometimes in your face! Kills ducks though and is cheap.

If you want to spend a lot on bismuth, the new Boss stuff does hammer ducks. Some of my hunting partners like them. You have to choke it differently though.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
the 3/5 boss blend shoots the same as the #2 black cloud out of my pattern master code black. i grew up with a full choke solid tube wing master so shooting a tight pattern is what i have been used to. the blue boxes are some dirty suckers i have found also. My goal is feet down and 20 yards or closer so any thing will kill but i like them deader and the boss and black cloud both do that for me on both big geese and ducks

JeffP_Or

WKR
#1 thing...PATTERN YOUR SHOTGUN buy a box of a few things and mess around with different shells, velocities and chokes. I can't count the times guys blame the shells or the gun and I've told them to shoot at paper and the pattern is terrible. Change chokes and amazingly they can kit/kill stuff.
^^^^ Very true - and include various choke tubes [even various mfr tubes if possible] if that is part of your equation. Several came with a recently purchased shotgun and I tried them all at various ranges. Very surprising the outcome of varying ranges, shot sizes, shot speed and cartridge size/capacity. Used to be there were few choices but these days....a quick foray into YouTube about 'which choke is best' demonstrate some very interesting outcomes [pattern holes for one].
Shoot what you can to finish out e season and then spend some off-season experimenting based on what your conditions mostly match.

slvrslngr

WKR
For a mixed bag hunt of geese and ducks, I’d go with some 3” #2, whatever brand patterns well in your choice of gun and choke. My choice is Kent with a modified choke in a Beretta 3901.

Mosby

WKR
Right now it's all about what you can get and afford. I won't pay $400+ for a case of ammo. This year I bought a boat load of Federal and Winchester Drylok #2 shot because I lucked into a bunch of it at some Walmart's on vacation. Will work for ducks or pheasant and that is what I hunt most of the time. I also got a case of #3 shot....because it was there and I will use it in SD.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
the 3/5 boss blend shoots the same as the #2 black cloud out of my pattern master code black. i grew up with a full choke solid tube wing master so shooting a tight pattern is what i have been used to. the blue boxes are some dirty suckers i have found also. My goal is feet down and 20 yards or closer so any thing will kill but i like them deader and the boss and black cloud both do that for me on both big geese and ducks
Those 3/5s are killers for sure, but they do beat the shooter up if you're not used to recoil. The 2 3/4" BOSS #4 are a little easier on the shoulder and kill birds stone dead.

Get what you can until the supply catches back up. Then you can be picky.

I personally have been shooting some rio bismuth #4s that I found dirt cheap at the sportsman's clearance section 2 years ago. Down to my last 5 shells. Got some leftover steel #2s in federal, Kent, and off brand f&s to get me by.

When the supply catches back up I'll try and find some more bismuth #4s in whatever brand. If you can find bismuth at a reasonable price it's nice to be able to size down one shot size but I'm not paying $60 a box for it. They all kill at reasonable ranges.

FWIW cabela's / bass pro has herters at $15 per box right now

Edit: you did ask for best. Probably federal custom shop tss #7s or #8s but get ready to pay $10 per shell.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
#2 3" Hevi-shot. Pure death.
My father in law used to reload heavy shot and he has four boxes of 3" #2 hevi shot he gave me. They absolutely crush like thors hammer. I just cant bring my self to shooting them at close in decoying birds they work so good out to 60 saving them for a special occasion. He gave me all his shotgun reloading stuff i might have to start rolling some of my own.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
A day spent patterning loads and chokes and as much time shooting your hunting shotgun at clays in the off season as you can enjoy will make you a better wingshot regardless of shell.
With steel I have had good luck getting acceptable patterns with most factory 2 3/4" 1-1/8oz #2 and 3 loads at claimed velocities of 1350-1500fps. Federals bluebox while a little dirty, was/is a good value, it just makes cleaning after a hunt more important. Good results on geese landing in the decoys and the ducks I shoot.

The most important part is being able to hit the front of them.

Sherman

WKR
My guide buddies and myself run 3” or 3.5” BB or BBB all day for geese. I have been hunting ducks with #4 and haven’t had to ring a single neck. DOA. Most of what we can get out here are the various federal variations of steel shot. After you pattern your gun and figure out where you’re shooting, it doesn’t really matter.

Last edited: