Asking for the opinion on the best shot gun shells for Ducks and Geese?

Fatcamp

WKR
My father in law used to reload heavy shot and he has four boxes of 3" #2 hevi shot he gave me. They absolutely crush like thors hammer. I just cant bring my self to shooting them at close in decoying birds they work so good out to 60 saving them for a special occasion. He gave me all his shotgun reloading stuff i might have to start rolling some of my own.

Ya, I would save them too. They cost a bunch but Holy cats those things kill birds.

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
Gentleman, Thank You for all the advise and comments!
I have been shooting 3" number 3 s in Hevi Steel. fortunately I have had pretty good luck shooting it out of my Benelli 3.5 28 in barrel.
I did as most have suggested and pattern all my shells and came to find out that the Hevi Steel done the best job out of my SBE11.
I have been hearing so much about the BOSS and also copper coated shells that I was wondering how many would bring up those shells.
BOSS<> Hevi shot Products.
I just got back from Northern CA coast hunting Brant which we don't seem to get many here in OR.
I should say a huntable number..
For those whom do not know the species they are a small sea goose that forage on eel grass as being there main staple and sand in the local Bays for digesting the grass.
They do not need fresh water as they have a system that changes the salt water to fresh. ( How ever that works)
Sounds strange but brought to point out from a local Bio many yrs ago.
So shooting my number 3s over decoys set at 33 yrds they did exceptionally well.
But on crips on the water at 40+ was a little different, and yes i can and do understand the difference there.
So i guess I'd like a shell that will shoot well at 40 as the Hevi Steel does great at 30-35 but 40 they open up a great deal, as does my federals 3" 2 s.
Si I'm thinking the Boss or Hevi Tungsten with a higher density will work much better being much closer to a lead shell.
Any comments on what I'm trying to say here? Any suggestions?
I have tried the Federal, Hevi Steel, Winchester which was terrible as was the Remington. I did shoot the Kent and it was Ok but nothing as well as the Hevi Steel. everything shot was with 2s 4s 3s. I'd love to shoot 6s that were coated with copper or a tungsten.
When we shot lead that is all I shot 6s and never had a problem out of my Browning A5 32in barrel 3in.
long time ago. I'm trying to re justifie so any and all help would be appreciated..
Thank you gentleman hunter 73

alex_b

FNG
Federal Speed Shok or Kent 2.0
3in #3 for ducks
3.5in BB for honkers