Athlon Ares 65mm vs 85mm

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Mostly A moose hunter, Caribou, Bear etc. Not a hardcore sheep hunter just yet. Im looking for a sub $900 Spotter and hear great things about the Athlon 15x45-65mm Spotter. The smaller size appeals to me. I then saw they offer the 85mm Athlon for $800. Is there that big of a difference between the two as far as magnification? My big thing is saving myself sometime deciding if a bull is legal or not. With my binos I spot the bulls but waster a lot of time getting close just to discover they are sub legal. The 65mm is $500 which would leave me $400 left to buy other hunting goodies or should I get the 85mm for $300 more?

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
I just read a review on the two and am leaning towards the 65mm because its way smaller according to the review and just as good if not better than the 85mm. The size difference between the two is unreal and Id rather pack around the smaller version. I do do a lot of walking so a smaller spotter sounds practical.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have new and open box units of the 15-45x65 ED starting at only $469.99 and for identification and "saving myself sometime deciding if a bull is legal or not" 35x should be fine at most distances so 45x will surly serve your use

lif

WKR
@lif If your still thinking about an ares. That open box price is pretty dang good.
It’s on the way. Should be at my house this week. Thanks for all the advise and insight. Looking forward to giving it a test ride.