ATX 65 vs. 85 objective

mtbraun

FNG
I'm going back and forth on what to buy. I'd like real world feedback from those who have used either or both in a backpack hunt environment, day hunts, etc. Is the larger objective worth the extra size and weight?

dapesche

WKR
I bought and returned (paid fees) the atx65.

Not worth the cost.

Had a kowa 773. Now have a kowa 883.
Using on a sheep hunt next week where glass is important. See if it is worth the weight.

In short, don't buy the atx65 unless you'll own a couple diff't atx objectives.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

OP
M

mtbraun

FNG
I bought and returned (paid fees) the atx65.

Not worth the cost.

Had a kowa 773. Now have a kowa 883.
Using on a sheep hunt next week where glass is important. See if it is worth the weight.

In short, don't buy the atx65 unless you'll own a couple diff't atx objectives.

What am I missing? From what I see the cost diff in the ATX vs. Kowa is a few hundred bucks. Comparing TSN-88 to ATX 85.

dapesche

WKR
Sorry I was not clear enough.

I have had a kowa 663, 773 and 883.

I have compared the 65atx to the 663 and I returned the atx.

Then I bought the 773. Then a used 883.

If I were you and really wanted swaro I'd either grab the 85atx or the 65ats.

fatrascal

WKR
I started out with the ats 80 in the early 2000's. I too am a backpack hunter and after awhile i upgraded and went wiyh the atm 65. Then again later to the atx 65. I have never missed the extra size or extra light gathering ability of an 80mm when backpack hunting. I used to owne the 95mm but sold it and now have the 115mm objective to use with the btx or atx. But when it comes to backpacking my atx-65 is my go to optic. It is small and compact. Weighs a little more but worth it. And digiscoping through it is great. I was afraid i would miss something going from an 80 to 65 but all i missed was weight and more bulk. Get the 65mm and don't look back.
Fatrascal.