August haul road caribou hunt 2023

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Agreed, the central arctic herd produced an abundance of medium sized bulls and small antler sets this year compared to most years behind us. But they sure taste great! My best assumption is confirmation that the herd got hit hard and is now rebounding. Pop numbers seem to support a climbing healthy herd dynamic.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah I noticed RHAK had solid justifications to support proposals. "Barrow" RAC meetings will be interesting this week. I have a feelin the pressures on gmu 23/26A communities will be palpable in future caribou/moose proposals.

ADF&G also submitted one to increase bag limit and mentioned that the herd has plenty of cows, calves, and young bulls. I told a few friends that I couldn't believe the lack of mature bulls this year, then seen the proposals which mirrored my observations. In the past, if I were to see several thousand caribou, there would be a good number of 325"-375" bulls in there, not the case at all this year.

ADF&G also submitted one to increase bag limit and mentioned that the herd has plenty of cows, calves, and young bulls. I told a few friends that I couldn't believe the lack of mature bulls this year, then seen the proposals which mirrored my observations. In the past, if I were to see several thousand caribou, there would be a good number of 325"-375" bulls in there, not the case at all this year.

That proposal passed yesterday.