Avocado trees in Southern California

Mrvrsick

FNG
I've got a few young avocado trees in the LA county (Covina) that I'm going to be clipping sometime in the next few months. One of them is a GEM variety, which happens to be highly sought after. If anybody would like to have some clippings from a Reed, Sir Prize, or a GEM variety, just shoot me a PM.

Also, doesn't seem to be any avocado threads. Maybe this will turn into the official avocado appreciation post.

OP
M

Mrvrsick

FNG
They don't grow in South Dakota. ☹️
LOL, time to try hydroponics haha. Though you might get some weird looks if you try.

Are avocados expensive there? They're about $4 for 6 at costco, and even cheaper in some stores.

JohnB

WKR
Are avocados expensive there? They're about $4 for 6 at costco, and even cheaper in some stores.
I'm trying my best not to say something rude that would make Robby to give me the boot. In rural eastern Washington I'm typically paying more than two dollars for one. Add me to the list of people that would love to be able to have an avocado tree in their yard.

OP
M

Mrvrsick

FNG
I'm trying my best not to say something rude that would make Robby to give me the boot. In rural eastern Washington I'm typically paying more than two dollars for one. Add me to the list of people that would love to be able to have an avocado tree in their yard.
Ouch! I've paid about $2 for one, but that was at a farmer's market for a variety that I hadn't tried, and it was honestly about the size of a NERF football.

Jd259

WKR
Do they root from a clippings ?
I am in so. cal Ill take some of each if you still have them available.
You can but it’s pretty tough to get them to take most people graft them which is pretty easy and your chances of it surviving are much greater I’ve got about 1200 hass trees that were all grafted we had about a 90-95% survival rate on them.

My folks both grew up in central California in the 50's and 60's, which meant that during my childhood when we lived elsewhere all of the fruits and veggies were ridiculously overpriced and on the rare occasion we got an avocado or an artichoke I got to hear the same story about how they were practically free where they came from.

Not really sure how that's entirely relevant to the thread, but man I never thought we'd be talking avocads as I call them on Rokslide.

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
Man I wish they'd grow in Southeast Missouri. I'd love to walk out to the backyard and grab a couple for some guac.

Haas avocados are usually $1 to$1.25 each here in South La. Sometimes they go on sale for 3 for $2. Not cheap by any means. I have a 5 foot tree I grew from a seed about 3 years ago. I don't expect it to produce any avocados for another 3 or 4 years, if ever.

Last edited:
Typically a tree grown from seed won't produce. You need to graft to get the tree to really produce fruit. Compared to navel orange trees or other citrus avocado trees were a challenge to get to produce when planting only a few here and there. Like citrus it will be a good couple of years before they really start producing.

netman

WKR
DAD25F53-90A1-49C5-8611-83F8D79C3126.jpegDCCF2A1B-5CDD-4D64-A9F4-2BE89C0A41B3.jpegMy uncle in Lompoc has avocado trees in his backyard. He has several. He was stationed at Vandenberg as a young man when he bought the house. He planted the trees. As the trees grew he weaved a couple together. He was in the AF for thirty years or so then worked for the DOD for several more years. While he was working in Alaska, Hawaii or ? he had someone to tend to his trees.
His trees are magnificent and produces lots of avocados. He sends us a box of avocados, oranges and lemons yearly.
Uncle Tom sure has a love for those avocados.

Last edited:

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
Holy cow that tree is huge. Are most that big? Do you wait for the fruit to fall to the ground or how would you pick them from the upper levels?

Sevens

WKR
Had a coworker when I lived in San Diego who had a bunch of avocado trees and did not like avocado. Would bring in boxes of the fruit for everyone. We all really liked that; guacamole for days!

Not overly shocking, but he said it was very common to catch people jumping the fence to steal avocados from the tree.

When I lived on Kauai the house we bought had a huge avocado tree in the yard that produced the largest avos I've ever seen. We would have avos for several months every year and they were very good. The wife even made avocado pie once, not recommended! It's to dry in SW Arizona to grow there, unfortunately.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk