Axis arrow length

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I was getting low on arrows and decided to pick up some 5mm axis.

When using the xhit inserts all my field points and broadheads stick out an extra half inch. Do people make broadheads and field points that don't? Do I need to cut my arrows 1/2" shorter to keep my spine in check?

Or does it not matter, just shoot?

OR Archer

WKR
If your points aren’t seating flush then your inserts weren’t properly installed. They should be recessed inside the shaft about 1/2” using the green plunger tool that’s supplied with the inserts.

Jbxl20

WKR
Deep six inserts or standard inserts. Brass inserts? Sounds like they weren’t set level after install and moved in the shaft. The brass inserts do not have a hole to vent when you install them. your supposed to take the nock out when you glue them or they can move.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
For reference that green plunger tool everyone is talking about is in the top right of the pic. If you epoxied them yourself you should take out the nocks so no suction is created and double check the inserts with the plunger before letting them dry. Always lay the arrows flat to dry and not standing up.

B425F44D-4211-4A59-B63B-AFCFF87BF2AC.jpeg

OP
M

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses. I am waiting on getting the brass inserts so I used a few of the aluminum ones that came with the arrows. I seated the inserts flush with face of the arrow. I used flex cool from bohning so it should be easy to remove them.

I attached a picture of a g5 montec and where it sits, currently, with the face of my shaft/insert 61bD50OnbQL._AC_SL1439_~2.jpg

Is the supplied epoxy necessary for these inserts?

Jbxl20

WKR
Use the tool that comes with the inserts to
Install them and leave them lay flat for 24hrs with the epoxy. I’ve used the coolmelt and the epoxy. Some people complain about the epoxy I’ve never had any issues. I’ve seen inserts pull out with the coolmelt.

OP
M

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. Based on your comments I realized I needed to watch the easton video to get it right.

Thanks again.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Also I forgot to mention…

a few people have mentioned that the hit inserts have pulled out of the shaft with the epoxy. Me personally I have not had one come out…ever.

if you end up setting hit inserts again I would recommend doing these few extra steps that I do on all my arrows.

-get a wire brush that will fit inside the shaft of the arrow. I use a brass brush out of my gun cleaning kit. Scuff up the inside carbon of the broadhead end where the insert will sit. Don’t get crazy but just enough to create small scratches. Then run acetone on a Q-tip on the inside to get all the dust from the carbon out.

-I use the brass inserts and I’ll take those and get some sand paper to lightly give them a scuff. Also clean these with acetone.

-when inserting the inserts with the epoxy make sure you’re rotating the insert back and forth, in and out, gradually working it in. This will ensure the epoxy is coated evenly around the circumference of the insert. When you get to the end make sure you wipe the excess epoxy off before you use the measuring plunger.

hope this helps for future reference!