B3 Hawk

Mosby

WKR
I am looking at getting a new release with a heavier trigger weight than my old Scott. I have been looking at the B3 Hawk but I can't find any specific information on trigger weight. I read every review I can find and everyone that has it seems to like it but not much more than that. Local stores don't carry B3.

I emailed B3 and the response was a little brief and all they said is that it comes with a heavier spring that I can put in. Great....what does that mean? 11oz? 5 lbs?

Appreciate any information on this release and trigger weight adjustability. Thought I would check here, otherwise I will probably call them and see if I can get more info. Thanks.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Never mind. Called them and they don't have specific weight information on trigger pull. Said it is heavier than the Claw model from the factory and they have a heavier spring I can put in from there. Like a lot of things, I'll just have to try to and see if I like it or not. I am going to order one and check it out.

cant say anything thing about the trigger but the single Allen bolt holding the strap slipped on the release I bought. Did it three times. Took it back. Just keep an eye on that.

Rob5589

WKR
Recently switched to a Stan Xtinction 2; fantastic release. Smooth, feels good in hand, nice trigger placement. I just checked it; the heaviest I can make it is 2.5 lbs, measured with a trigger pull gauge under tension. Another option if interested.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Tha
Recently switched to a Stan Xtinction 2; fantastic release. Smooth, feels good in hand, nice trigger placement. I just checked it; the heaviest I can make it is 2.5 lbs, measured with a trigger pull gauge under tension. Another option if interested.
Thanks. I looked at them at a local store but they were in the packaging. Their thumb releases have such a great reputation, that is another release I was looking at. The new Like Mike II is another. I think the Like Mike II can go up to 3.5 lbs with the spring that comes with it.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
cant say anything thing about the trigger but the single Allen bolt holding the strap slipped on the release I bought. Did it three times. Took it back. Just keep an eye on that.
That is really helpful information. I might try one of the other releases mentioned above instead and avoid dealing with the issue. Thanks.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
The Stan doesn't slip, and I tried to make it do so.
I went back and looked and the Stan and the Like Mike II both have double screws on the strap to prevent slipping. I am going to go back to the store I saw the Stan and see if I can try one and go from there. Thanks.

My stock springed B3 Hawk I bought last summer has a 12 ounce trigger pull. Mine came from a dealer over in Saskatchewan without packaging and did not come with extra springs and triggers like I understand they come from the factory. That said, I really like release...much superior to my old Scott Itty Bitty Goose releases I had shot for the previous decade or more.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
My stock springed B3 Hawk I bought last summer has a 12 ounce trigger pull. Mine came from a dealer over in Saskatchewan without packaging and did not come with extra springs and triggers like I understand they come from the factory. That said, I really like release...much superior to my old Scott Itty Bitty Goose releases I had shot for the previous decade or more.
Thanks for the information on the trigger pull. I have learned that it is difficult getting information from the manufactures on trigger weight/pull. Descriptions like light or heavy mean different things to different people. Only a few releases have specific information on trigger/spring weight. The Hawk looks like a nice release. Not sure what the second spring would get me to. They only said it was "heavier".

Mosby, I measured the pull with an RCBS trigger pull gage pulling in about the middle of the trigger. I hooked the release to a "training aid"....a fixed loop of cord connected old bow grip that I occasionally "shoot" my releases with, especially the Carter Evolution tension release.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Mosby, I measured the pull with an RCBS trigger pull gage pulling in about the middle of the trigger. I hooked the release to a "training aid"....a fixed loop of cord connected old bow grip that I occasionally "shoot" my releases with, especially the Carter Evolution tension release.
I have the same RCBS gage.

4rcgoat

WKR
Been running the hawk for 2 seasons now and really like it,have always been concerned about the single screw holding the strap but haven't had any problems yet. Really like the double screw system that the Extinction 2 runs.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I decided to order the new Carter Like Mike II that is coming out. Trigger goes up to 3.5 lbs from factory and they provide a ss ball that you can insert that will take it up to 11 lbs, although I don't plan on going up that high. Forum sponsor S & S just put it on their website for pre-order and I should get it sometime in April. I was hoping initially to stay under $100 but I decided the release is important enough to spend more.

1616856315441.png

Last edited: