Baby otter or fisher?

I saw this several years ago while summer steelhead fishing, I always assumed it was a baby river otter, but now I am curious, I saw a fisher on the same river last year, and got to wondering if this little critter was a fisher… any opinions?

Attachments

• A0DCDC3E-14FF-4860-A211-F87D6C051630.jpeg
    A0DCDC3E-14FF-4860-A211-F87D6C051630.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 266

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Neat spot! Always a pleasure to see baby animals in the woods.

To me, it looks like a fisher. I'm basing that on its more triangular snout (river otters have a more smooshed face) and on the ears (more pointed and positioned atop the head, whereas otters' ears are smaller, more rounded, and lower on the head).

I'm not a wildlife biologist, though have seen both pups and kits in the wild. I'm definitely open to corrections

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Too big to be a mink, and a different looking animal than a mink, but this fur ball was bigger than an adult mink
Fisher or mink. The only reason I throw out mink is fishers aren't necessarily associated with water. They are primarily squirrel killers.

So when someone sees big "mink" tracks going through the woods, it is likely a fisher. Conversely, if you think you see fisher tracks along a river bank, they could be mink. (You will likely see the trail drag from an otter)

OP
roosiebull
Fisher or mink. The only reason I throw out mink is fishers aren't necessarily associated with water. They are primarily squirrel killers.

So when someone sees big "mink" tracks going through the woods, it is likely a fisher. Conversely, if you think you see fisher tracks along a river bank, they could be mink. (You will likely see the trail drag from an otter)
This animal was about 200 yds above the river. I have seen a lot of mink, and it wasn’t a mink. I also have only seen mink on the lower stretches of rivers, never seen one high on a river system around here… they may be around, but I have never seen them up there.

I took some video too, I will try to find it and figure out how to post it.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
This animal was about 200 yds above the river. I have seen a lot of mink, and it wasn’t a mink. I also have only seen mink on the lower stretches of rivers, never seen one high on a river system around here… they may be around, but I have never seen them up there.

I took some video too, I will try to find it and figure out how to post it.
My money is now on fisher! (Per location)

West18

FNG
Sent this pic to my brother who's a biologist, studies martens. He asked if it was near water and followed right up with - looks like a baby mink