Back again after long time - budget setup?

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Not for this season. Fairly experienced with compound hinting but that was decades ago and everything in gear has completely changed, obviously. Lost in a sea of choices.

Ideally looking for a sub-$500 bow to start. Looking at the Diamond Edge but open to all suggestions. Also asking on all accessories, arrows and broadheads.

Finally, I started as a kid of 8 or so on my brother's beautiful recurve. Convince this older but increasingly in shape dude traditional is not in the cards - go compound.

Keepung in mind my only interest is hunting whitetails and, god willing, elk. Thanks.

Paul

I would maybe look for a used bow that’s in good shape, throw a whisker biscuit on there some black eagle outlaw arrows and RMS gear cut throat 3 blade broadheads and you would have a pretty solid set up for 40 yards and in.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I would maybe look for a used bow that’s in good shape, throw a whisker biscuit on there some black eagle outlaw arrows and RMS gear cut throat 3 blade broadheads and you would have a pretty solid set up for 40 yards and in.
Great, thanks, hadn't even thought of used...probably a better used bow over a lesser new bow, I'm guessing? 350's, 125 grain broadheads, medium whisker? - thoughts?

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Don't use a whisker biscuit... just get a halfway decent drop away so you can actually tune your arrows.
Thanks. Learning curve again, for me. It's been so long.....I vaguely remember paper tuning my last bow (I think it was a High Country?), but I don't remember exactly what I did. I'm almost certain I didn't have a drop away rest - I seem to recall two little aluminum prongs. And if I canted at all, the arrow could fall off the rest. (I just learned to shoot without canting - learned as a kid on my brother's stout recurve). Actually loved that bow and took a lot of deer on a farm we rented in S. Wisconsin. Crazy thing is that when I began bowhunting, 40ish years ago, somehow I got ahold of a cheap old Browning single cam - without a rest - and I didn't know any better, and collected plenty of game, cabin in VT woods at the time, where I lived in solitude. Pretty blissful time.

So - as a general thing - presuming the arrows and broadheads you mention Sam - 350 gr arrow, 125 gr broadhead?

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Don't use a whisker biscuit... just get a halfway decent drop away so you can actually tune your arrows.
Not true at all. I’ve shot numerous 300 indoor rounds with a biscuit and can easily bareshaft tune with a biscuit. They are the most bulletproof hunting rest ever made.

I’ve tried the limb drivers on target and hunting now, for a target bow sure. They are louder then a biscuit but it doesn’t matter for target. For hunting the biscuit is just bomb proof. Nothing to break and they are just as accurate as a drop away .

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty hard to beat the Diamaond Edge for a cheap, ready to go set up. It is a quality bow.
Thanks. That's good to know - figure better components over time, wondering people's thoughts on the bow itself so that's helpful. 31" DL, so that also checked for me. Now just figuring out arrow and broadhead weights. I remember nothing - can only say that in rifle hunting, I prefer heavier for caliber at slower relative speeds, not sure if that translates to arrow setup at all.

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with a one year old Mathews, or slightly older. If an owner is not a serious target/3D shooter they got a lot of life left in them. They cost about $1,100 new and you can pick them up for $550 generally.

Now, all brands will be better than what you last shot if it has been years since you had one. I like Hoyt and PSE as well, but for me right now it is really hard to beat a Mathews. And, to be candid maybe as recent as 10 years ago you could not have given me a Mathews. There are peaks and valleys for all manufacturers.

Good Luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. Learning curve again, for me. It's been so long.....I vaguely remember paper tuning my last bow (I think it was a High Country?), but I don't remember exactly what I did. I'm almost certain I didn't have a drop away rest - I seem to recall two little aluminum prongs. And if I canted at all, the arrow could fall off the rest. (I just learned to shoot without canting - learned as a kid on my brother's stout recurve). Actually loved that bow and took a lot of deer on a farm we rented in S. Wisconsin. Crazy thing is that when I began bowhunting, 40ish years ago, somehow I got ahold of a cheap old Browning single cam - without a rest - and I didn't know any better, and collected plenty of game, cabin in VT woods at the time, where I lived in solitude. Pretty blissful time.

So - as a general thing - presuming the arrows and broadheads you mention Sam - 350 gr arrow, 125 gr broadhead?
hard to estimate the proper spine without knowing your draw length and draw weight. Ya I like a 125 gn head for a little extra up front.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
hard to estimate the proper spine without knowing your draw length and draw weight. Ya I like a 125 gn head for a little extra up front.
DL is 31", but not sure yet on final draw weight - older guy, working on conditioning, big and tall, historically athletically strong but some substantial neuro-medical issues , want to keep good form so developing up in weight only as long as my form stays clean, not looking for weight for weight's sake - whatever takes the whitetail out to 30ish yards would be the goal.

I know that makes a spine determination impossible, just sort of a mindset, I guess, as to where I am and where I'm aiming for, ultimately. Not sure if that suggests a few different sets of arrows as I go, or just a good solid set that would cover everything from training now to ultimate draw weight, say, 60-70 lbs.

DL is 31", but not sure yet on final draw weight - older guy, working on conditioning, big and tall, historically athletically strong but some substantial neuro-medical issues , want to keep good form so developing up in weight only as long as my form stays clean, not looking for weight for weight's sake - whatever takes the whitetail out to 30ish yards would be the goal.

I know that makes a spine determination impossible, just sort of a mindset, I guess, as to where I am and where I'm aiming for, ultimately. Not sure if that suggests a few different sets of arrows as I go, or just a good solid set that would cover everything from training now to ultimate draw weight, say, 60-70 lbs.
If you shoot 55-60 lbs 350 spine with the 42 gn brass insert and 125 grain head should be a good start

Yoder

WKR
Check out Nockonarchery.com. It's a great site for learning how to do just about anything archery. John Dudley has some great videos for setting up your bow and how to shoot properly. He used to be on the U.S. Olympic team so it's a reliable source of information.

Not true at all. I’ve shot numerous 300 indoor rounds with a biscuit and can easily bareshaft tune with a biscuit. They are the most bulletproof hunting rest ever made.

I’ve tried the limb drivers on target and hunting now, for a target bow sure. They are louder then a biscuit but it doesn’t matter for target. For hunting the biscuit is just bomb proof. Nothing to break and they are just as accurate as a drop away .
I have had a damn hard time tuning out a nock high tear with the whisker biscuit on a single cam bow. Not saying you can't... but a limb driven rest is pretty bombproof as well.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Nockonarchery.com. It's a great site for learning how to do just about anything archery. John Dudley has some great videos for setting up your bow and how to shoot properly. He used to be on the U.S. Olympic team so it's a reliable source of information.
Awesome, thanks. Have the site up right now.