Back pack for 5 year old

cmahoney

WKR
I plan on taking my boy on a few easy scouting trips this year. He has no trouble hiking 3 or 4 miles right now. I want to get him a somewhat legit backpack so he can carry a few pounds, mainly because he wants to.

Any recommendations or experience with a pack like this?

He will be packing lots of goldfish
f983bf845bc36762f13913c5fd0f4e7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
my son started hiking with me at age 5 and carries a mountain hardwear scrambler pack with just a few items in it he is now going on 7 and still uses the scrambler
but with a tad more weight maybe 8-9 lbs i added pads to the shoulder straps just so he was comfortable wearing the pack but other than that it has been a great little person pack

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
my son started hiking with me at age 5 and carries a mountain hardwear scrambler pack with just a few items in it he is now going on 7 and still uses the scrambler
but with a tad more weight maybe 8-9 lbs i added pads to the shoulder straps just so he was comfortable wearing the pack but other than that it has been a great little person pack

Thanks I’ll check it out.

Rob5589

WKR
The goldfish comment cracked me up. Mine eat em by the ton. Alps makes some decent packs for a good price, especially since he will be growing out of it. I used one that I have now passed down to my daughter. Fit me at 6'2" and her at 5'3" so plenty adjustable.

the kifaru e&e is a great idea.

REI has the tarn 12 which my 5 year old uses and it’s a perfect fit for him. he carries his snacks, a book, “toys”, and i found a 1L water bladder for it as well.

I think any decent size pack like a reckoning or a Metcalf ought to fit him just fine. Probably leave plenty of room for snacks and an iPad with him in there. Or you could just strap him to the meat shelf.

Just kidding. I wouldn’t overthink it. My kid used a 22 liter day pack for a while. Then he started working his way through my gear. Rei Carries bags with an expandable frame to grow with the kid but they start at a torso length of 12-14 inches.

Nick87

Lil-Rokslider
No advice on the pack but that's great parenting right there!!

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My kids started on E&Es at 4 or 5. Brute tough packs. I added a piece of closed cell foam in the flat pocket to give it a little form and minimize stuff poking the wearer. Also added felt tubes around the shoulder straps to eliminate neck chafing when kids wore t-shirts.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Thanks guys, I ended up getting this. I couldn’t pass on the price and my daughter can use it when my boy is ready to love on

b01b7a7c84c5017457a9311ff9946e5f.jpg

My 6 year old uses a Kifaru E&E. The sternum strap is like a waist belt on him but he doesn’t care. Plenty of space for a jacket, food/water, and whatever else he needs

If you already run a stone glacier your can get there hydro lid that can be fitted with back pack straps. Suitable size for a small child and you can use it as a lid on your own pack when he isn't along.