Backcountry Protection meets Hunting Accuracy-Springfield XDm 10mm

Been a ton of "Bear Gun" threads this past spring. Some posts on frustration with firearms, but a ton of debate. I own several Glock firearms. Just bought a new Gen 5 G34 MOS that Glock better be sending me a return label for, as the accuracy is not nearly acceptable.

The venerable Glock 20! The Penultimate Backcountry Bear Gun....Meh......my knock against it are size and shape. I have a legit size Large hand. And I simply could not warm up to it. I honestly wanted to. Actually borrowed a very fresh Gen 4 G20 this week. Accuracy was acceptable. No ambi slide stop/release was a bummer, but the XDm does not have one either.

Having just moved into a home that I can shoot handguns daily from the deck, I have been doing a lot of shooting, loading and testing...rather than making a Range Trip one day off a week. Additionally, I am a Lefty. So the world of Firearms isn't nearly my oyster as it is for the general public.

My experience is 22+ years as a backcountry law enforcement officer. Competitive shooter also. I do own several handguns, but don't consider myself a handgun nerd. I'm much more a fan of the Precision Rifle.

10mm....Be All, End All? Not nearly. I don't think it's Magical, or offers too much more than cannot be done with another cartridge. I've squashed the numbers over and over vs the 45ACP loaded hot, and other than round count/capacity, not sure there is a Winner. Probably much closer to Equal than myself and others think.

The XDm gets ZERO love. Not sure why? The ergos, in my opinion are far superior. The adjustable rear target sight is amazing. Another poster mentioned that a 10mm firearm with a fixed sight was a huge shortcoming due to the huge variance in factory ammo performance levels. I'd have to agree. I've watched many shooters with fixed sight hitting 8-10" in one direction or another. Coming from the LRish Rifle game, that is not nearly good enough for my use. Some have argued that the fixed sights can be drifted, which they can, but are you really gonna get the results you want trying to dial it to exact POI/POA? Doubtful.

Shot the 5.25 bone stock for a bit. Ran some groups. Tested different powders and loads. Then upgraded a few parts. The other knock the XD seems to get is the grip safety. Fan Boys of the other flavor (insert 1911 Freaks) don't seem to poopoo the grip safety of those models. The grip safety was actually one of the main selling points to try the Springfield. Carried in a chest rig....the muzzle is flagging your arm with every other step. Or flagging a buddy. And after several years of training and range time....it weirds me out a little bit. So a second safety makes me feel more at ease. Added the Powder River Extended Bump Safety and the cheapest drop in trigger them make. And a set of $16 rubberized grips. All very huge upgrades well worth the money. Holster is by KT Mech in Nampa, ID. Had the internals micro suede and exterior Cordura wrapped. But $15 options I think. Both great upgrades. Exterior cloth really dampens the sound of brush scrapping against the Kydex. Light is very reasonably priced at $130ish. 800 Lumens.

The entire chasing of my tail with this gun was for the light rail. Was a mandatory box check for a backpacking rig. And wanting to stay 10mm....I wasn't willing to dump $1500 on a TRP, Bruin, etc.
fullsizeoutput_239a.jpeg
IMG_4766.JPG
57905866855__E5D39F8B-EB68-4782-86D4-85154CADFB7E.JPG

I've taken two deer with the 10mm in the last few years. Both one shot stops. Having a handgun for protection that also has the ability to turn into an Offensive weapon is a huge plus in my book!

Last edited:

USMC-40

WKR
Other than being made by a company that would like to see a reduction in our 2A rights, seems like a winner...

Lots of opinions with guns, which is a good thing I suppose, but Springfield can suck my left nut, and take their cheap feeling crap and insert it somewhere creative

USMC-40

WKR
Seems that they have changed their tune on the anti 2A stuff.

Looks like my rant was a little off-base

Bought consecutive serial number XD-M 5.25” 10mm for my brother and I. We’ve shot them quite a bit. Practice loads are 180gr Cast or Powder Coated with 10gr BlueDot. Haven’t had much of a chance to work up some of the 200-220gr WFN I have cast up. I’ve found mine to be more accurate than my G20 and hope to do more load development and take it hunting with me later this year.......after I get a deer with my pet 41 OMBH.

Rob5589

WKR
Nice write up. If not for Commiefornia, the Springer would have been in the running. Love the feel of the gun, they shoot great, and the grip safety is a non issue to me.

PredatorX

WKR
I am not a fan of their triggers at all. Specifically how the trigger resets compared to a glock.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Oldffemt

WKR
I’ve been looking for a 10mm for a while and I can’t get into glocks enough to lay the $$ down. I’ll have to check out the xdm. Thanks for posting.

OP
J
Trigger definitely has and had....a very different feel. The Glock crowd often says "Change the barrel to KKM and drop in a Zev or Apex trigger....and you're all set".

That's $400 in upgrades.

I was very impressed with the Powder River trigger kit. Came with an uber light Match set of springs. and Light set. The blue Match set was too light and I couldn't get consistent primer ignition. Moving up to the heavier set remedied everything. This trigger has an overtravel stop which is very neat.

Why can a California resident NOT own an XDm?

Oldffemt

WKR
Trigger definitely has and had....a very different feel. The Glock crowd often says "Change the barrel to KKM and drop in a Zev or Apex trigger....and you're all set".

That's $400 in upgrades.

I was very impressed with the Powder River trigger kit. Came with an uber light Match set of springs. and Light set. The blue Match set was too light and I couldn't get consistent primer ignition. Moving up to the heavier set remedied everything. This trigger has an overtravel stop which is very neat.

So the trigger kit came with two sets of springs?

Rob5589

WKR

That's $400 in upgrades.

CA has a roster of firearms that are deemed "not unsafe." Manufacturers have certain parameters that must be met in order to qualify for the testing, which the manu has to pay for. Only the original XD meets the standard and is the only one available unless you are in law enforcement. You can own one via the used market. But, with the roster, any gun not on it brings a huge premium. A XDM in CA can and will go for a grand, or more. I will say it for you, Commiefornia sucks donkey balls.

OP
J
WOW!....I thought it was just magazine restriction.

RE: Powder River.....yes Two sets of springs in the kit I purchased. Think $135 and called Drop In.

Totoro

WKR
Chevy vs Ford, etc.

I have medium sized hands and roll G20SF, with Ghost Disconnector and Heinie tritiums.

With Underwood 200XTP I dont feel handicapped at all.

First and foremost, whatever it is, gotta fit your grip.

Next decide on sidearm position.

Then practice, practice, and practice some more under stress.

Like wearing a backpack/gear/etc after doing some burpies.

Drawing and shooting in various contorted shooting positions.

Strong and weak handed.

Repeat....

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
I was hoping to handle one of those, but ran across a deal on a G20 before I got that far.

Nice review, makes me want to find one to give a try.