Backcountry spotting scope

What spotting scope you guys using in the backcountry? Most of my hunts are 3-5 miles in. Want something light enough but also tough enough to hold up. Middle of the road price range. I use 10x50 vortex vipers for binos. Looking for zoom recommendations aswell. Hunting mainly SW Montana, but some grasslands in central mt. Thanks for any and all!

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Wyo_hntr

WKR
My advice to you when it comes to spotters is save up to buy an alpha. Do not cheap out. Spend the money for a kowa, leica, Swarovski, or ziess. Even if it takes 12 months of putting money aside, it will be worth it. Trust me, you'll save I'm the long run.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Get a pair of 15x binos before a spotter, IMO. You will get more done with it. Most guys I know only use a spotter after finding stuff. I can tell if a deer or elk is big enough to get closer from a mile or two away with a bino off a tripod.

If you get a backcountry spotter, it’s the Kowa 554, 774, or 884 with lighter Flourite crystal they use.

Cheap spotters are useless at anything in the top half of magnification because of clarity and them mirage on top of it. Even with my Kowa, many times I couldn’t see any clearer because mirage was so thick.

huntnful

WKR
Get a pair of 15x binos before a spotter, IMO. You will get more done with it. Most guys I know only use a spotter after finding stuff. I can tell if a deer or elk is big enough to get closer from a mile or two away with a bino off a tripod.

If you get a backcountry spotter, it’s the Kowa 554, 774, or 884 with lighter Flourite crystal they use.

Cheap spotters are useless at anything in the top half of magnification because of clarity and them mirage on top of it. Even with my Kowa, many times I couldn’t see any clearer because mirage was so thick.
To add to this, cheap spotters AND small spotters are basically useless. You can hardly judge an animal passed maybe 1200 yards with the micro spotters. So when you glass an animal at 1-2 miles, you can’t hardly even tell what it is and have to go over there to
Find out anyways.

I carry a KOWA 884 everywhere. And while it might be some added weight, it’s saved me countless foot miles by not having to get closer to an animal to actually see what it is.

At MINIMUM I would go 65STX or 66 KOWA. Stay away from the baby spotters IMO

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved

Agree!

Only time a pack my Swaro spotter is for mule deer, when field judging bucks. On elk… if it has horn it’s legal. #FullSend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
And, always pay for clarity over magnification.

Running one pair of really clear 12x is better than mediocre 10x and 15x IMO. You will also get a weight bonus with one pair. I ran a pair of 12 Leica Ultravid for a couple years and only traded out because I wanted 10x rangefinder for binos.

MCS

FNG
I had the kowa 88 and tsn663. I take the 663 on my backpack hunts. The 88 takes up to much room in my pack.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Happy Kowa 554 user here. I upgraded from a lower quality 65mm spotter for weight savings. It suits me well because I typically hike in miles and don't scan/grid with my spotter, only use it to confirm animals found with my 10x binos.

I can see more detail with 18X Maven binos than my 48x 65mm Vortex spotter. Glassing through my 18Xs is very enjoyable. I can't glass for long time periods with a Swaro spotter.