Backpack of choice for DIY Elk Hunt

AXEL

WKR
What packs do you consider the best if not kifaru, stone glacier and exo? Not trying to pick a fight, I'm honestly curious. I've used lots of backpacking packs like Dana, Gregory and older Colorado made ospreys, I've also messed with a lot of by ting packs like eberlestock, badlands, Sitka, etc.

Now I'm using a new kifaru pack (fulcrum, tactical frame) and even though there were a few hiccups at first, now that I've had a chance to use it and really haul some weight in the mountains with it, I can't really imagine what I would do differently.

Right now my only other pack in the rotation is a barneys pinnacle and I mostly just use the frame to haul moose out of the swamps but I've used it for 10 day sheep hunts as well. It handles weight really well but isn't as comfortable as the kifaru when I throw ~ 75lbs into it.

I'm looking to get a new overnight/2-3 day pack and even though the fulcrum would be just fine, I'm sort of interested in grabbing that stone glacier solo so I can compare their frame directly to the kifaru frame.

Sorry, I missed this, old brain I guess.......

The term "best" is not one I find very useful in rating gear, guns or other tools. In sleeping bags over some 53 years of hunting, I have owned quite a number and used several more. I cannot now use the superb Pioneer light bag of my youth or my original Marmot Mtn. Works G/T bag I used for 21 years.

So, I have now owned and used all over western Canada, bags by Feathered Friends, Marmot, Fairy Down, Paul Petzoldt, Caravan, Blacks of Greenock, Pioneer of Vancouver, MEC, Exped, Wildthings, Camp Seven, Integral Designs (original) (3), Weatern Mountaineering (3), and Valandre.

Is one the "best", well, no, the top few have some features I prefer and none has all of these. I will say that for top quality and utility, my choices would be the Valandre Shocking Blue, ID custom Himalayan, Marmot from 1978 and my latest and last bags, bought this summer, WM Terralite and Sequoia.

Fit is a huge factor in this as I find these "barrel" bags FAR more comfortable than any mummy bags I have had.

With packs, same thing, Dana Design framed packs were the most comfortable for me and many others were not quite as good, so, given the legendary DD-MR Bozo-made QC I would call them "best". However, my two recent SOs are MORE comfortable, less than half the weight and the QC seems outstanding so far.

"Best", I think it is different for each person and even at different times. JMHO-YMMV :)

Hey all first post on Rokslide! I'm looking for a do it all pack as well as some advice. I've been loving the look of the ma deuce though I'm curious how well it compresses for the day pack once empty. From what everyone is saying here it sounds like I'll be happy with it. I will be packing in for a 5 day elk hunt in the fall in Western Washington. I'm trying to get out as cheap as possible with the exception of the pack I think I'll go Skre camo I have a bear bow some gold tip Hunter arrows montec broadheads I'm hoping to get most of not all I need for around $1500 any advice on frame or anything I should know I'm shorter at 5'7 about 250 hoping to slim down a bit sorry about the book just looking for tons of info and don't know where to start.

If all packs were created equal, which they aren't, but let's say they were, Kifaru would hands down be my choice. And here's why. It's real simple. 100% made in the USA

rekkr870

Lil-Rokslider
Stone Glacier gets my vote. Lightweight and simple.

Kifaru, Exo, and Seek Outside are great packs as well.

MR is decent.

Kuiu is not good. Should not be mentioned with the other packs like SG, Kifaru, SO, Exo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
I recently picked up the Sitka Mountain Hauler 4000. I bounced back and forth between that and the 6200. The ruck is very well constructed and has a logical storage layout. The 4000 will be a great ruck for a 2-3 day hunt.

Jory S.

FNG
Had an Exo, sold it and got a Kifaru. A lot more comfortable with heavy weight in my opinion.

jswayze1

FNG
If you want to buy just one ....buy Kifaru!!! As mentioned above Kifaru has so many bag and pocket options. The frame is solid, comfortable, and capable of 100+ lbs. I have an EMR2 that handles extremely large, bulky loads and a Timberline for smaller loads with quick and easy access to pockets. I've used my EMR2 on several Alaska sheep, mtn goat, and bear hunts where I had to pack camp, meat, and lifesized capes. I've also hauled a gob of boned elk meat and capes out of ungodly places! The EMR2 also has large outside pockets that work great for a large spotting scope plus tripod. I use the guide cargo pocket on top for quick and easy access to raingear, food, maps, knife, etc.

If you only have 1 bag I would suggest a larger volume bag. A larger bag will save you 1 to 2 trips. If you start tying meat or cargo haulers to the outside of a smaller bag they will likely shift when on steep/uneven terrain. It always pays to load and carry the hefty part of the load (meat) next to your back. Even when unloaded my EMR2 cinches down really tight and doesn't weigh that much less than my Timberline.

One thing to remember is elk are large animals! If you backpack in and shoot a bull 5 miles from your truck it will roughly take 3 to 5 trips for 1 person to get camp, boned meat, antlers, and possibly cape out. You may also want to review YouTube videos on how to bone out an animal!

One thing you might look into is the weight of the MR. The old ones used to weigh a bunch!

Once you get a pack you might try a scouting trip to work out some of the cobwebs. You will likely learn quickly what to bring and what to leave home. A week long backpack trip is a super long time. You will also need a lot of food! You may want to try 3 or 4 days...take a break to shower/eat a good meal...then head back out for a few more days? If the weather is bad a week long trip can be brutal!

With that said...you will hardly find any complaints from Kifaru owners!
Good info.