Backpacking 4-5 day food

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning all,

Question, I’ll be packing in 3-4 miles and would like your thoughts on meals to cover 5 days straight.

Obviously the lighter the better 😁

Thanks

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Give a listen to the rokcast on food/prep. They don't give you a menu but some brands and options for meals. They even talk a little Calories per oz and dollars per oz. I just went back and listened a second time because I wanted to check out a bar they had mentioned.

Bbrinks

FNG
If you’re going to do freeze dried, it’s a good idea to try them at home first to make sure they don’t cause any digestive issues. It wouldn’t be too much fun to be a few miles in and get a case of diarrhea

Peanut butter and tortillas
Milano cookies
Ramen
Dehydrated potatoes
Jerky
Minute rice with soy sauce packeyd
Trail mix
Mix in some dehydrated commercial meals

Food for each backcountry day-Minimum 6 setups
1 Butthole sandwich
Bagel
Peanut butter
Honey
Bacon
Oatmeal-in small freezer bag
2 packages
Dry milk
Craisins/Raisins
Two Clif bars
1 Ramen noodles
Package mixed nuts/trail mix
2 coffee singles
Instant Mashed potatoes 1/4 cup dry
1 Dehydrated meal.

YouTube ramen bombs and if you are going with mountain houses stay away from the chilli Mac...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I don't eat much out hunting, but here's what I usually have:
1 MH meal for dinner/night
1 pack of tortillas
1 jar of peanut butter
Couple packs of beef jerky
Couple packs of trail mix
2 cans of Copenhagen
2 packs of gum

banishd

FNG
Get yourself some moon cheese at costco. Crunchy, salty, good. High cal/oz. I also like pro bar meal bars and cheez its. Really a lot of options out there if you spend some time looking at the store.

Look up @V2Pnutrition on the gram. Kyle Kamp is a legit dietitian. He works at a local clinic in Boise then does meal plans and coaching for hunters and mountian athletes to support his own hunting fund. I've lost well over 20lb since May with his help. About 10% body fat.
I had him like me out with a basic hunt plan. He set me up with a low level activity plan and a higher activity plan.
I tried the higher one out scouting this week. Basically it's about 4600 cals and high carb. My fitbit Thursday said I burned 5500 cals and covered 11 miles or a tad over. So even with that much food I still had a calorie deficit.
Then too he's all about real science, no bro science fad diet.
So instead of over spending for super healthy organic foods he has me loading up on pop tarts, oreos, gummy bears basically junk food. He's been on a few podcasts and explains why this works for high output hunts. Basically your body needs sugar for fuel and it can't tell the difference between gas station carbs and patchouli store carbs. And it sure seems to work. Hard to blaim a sore body on "processed foods and sugars" when you've been crushing miles on the mountian all day.

Super good dude. Money well spent! Listen to him on the Byland podcast.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Another good option is hard salami. And x sharp cheddar! Also Parmesan is a good one as well! Peanut butter and bacon jerky wrapped in a tortilla as well. Don’t forget K.I.S.S. Freeze dried are definitely light but can be pricy and if water source isn’t exactly close, it can be an annoyance

Why skimp. Take two mountain house per day. Make one at lunch while you glass from a ridge and one at your camp later.

There is no point whatsoever on a five day hunt to skimp on food. Takes lots of VIA coffee and a some oatmeal and kind bars too. A 20 ounce bottle filled with good whiskey to be nursed sparingly every night is a cherry on top.

Now if you we’re doing a 3 week sheep hunt and weight and space were more of a factor then you do what you got to do, but not in this case. If you tag out, you can eat two meals before you hump out.