Backpacking food

TravisIN

WKR
So I have a question and not sure if this is where to ask it. I’m planning food for this fall and have been buying some to taste test. I just got the Peak Refuel chicken Alfredo, it’s delicious. My only gripe is that it’s a ton of food. I’d like to split it up and get two meals per pouch. It’s made to cook in the bag though. I’m sure I could cook in my pot but I really don’t want to have to waste water cleaning my pot. Waters tough where I hunt. Anyone have any suggestions on splitting it up. Also what are some foods you guys like out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Small spray bottle with bleach spray cleaner will clean your pots easily. Scrubbing bubbles foaming bleach cleaner and a scrub pad works real good. No water necessary.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used freezer bags for oatmeal with good success I'd think you could use them to rehydrate if you separate portion size. Holding on to bag while eating could be interesting

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Splitting it into quart sized freezer bags works great. Just make sure you buy a good brand name like Ziploc or Hefty. Also, buy or make yourself a cozy to keep the bag warm while it rehydrates. The freezer bag isn't insulated like the packaging those meals come in, so you'll end up with cold food otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
Split up the meals into quart freezer bags, but take 1 actual Peak Refuel nag to reuse for heating the meals up. Anytime you find a creek you can rinse it out, or use some of the cleaning solutions previously mentioned. Same idea as field stripping MREs in the military.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

hunt406

FNG
Splitting it into quart sized freezer bags works great. Just make sure you buy a good brand name like Ziploc or Hefty. Also, buy or make yourself a cozy to keep the bag warm while it rehydrates. The freezer bag isn't insulated like the packaging those meals come in, so you'll end up with cold food otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I would agree with this ^^. We Rehydrate our homemade meals in the quart freezer ziplocs without problems. Made koozies out of reflectix from a thread on here for insulation while rehydrating. Only complaint is the bags get kind of deep when digging out the last part of the meal, but just rolled the top of the bag down.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thess87

WKR
I’d like to know when humble foods is going to drop there meals Snyder talks like there real good.

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
I saved my bag from the peak alfredo with what most of you mentioned in mind. I’d say that’s the way I’ll go. I had considered just doing it in freezer bags but liked how these heavier duty bags hold the heat. The bags on these and off grid seem a lot more durable than a MH bag and I would think could handle the repeated use. Thanks fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlkaetz

WKR
These are my top choices....

Peak Refuel Dinners
Off Grid Dinners (recently tried these and they are amazing)
Mountain House Biscuits & Gravy
Mountain House Sweet & Sour Pork
Honey Stinger Waffles (Lemon & Caramel)
Justin's Almond Butter
Wasabi & Soy Almonds
Bobo Bars (Peanut Butter Stuff'd & Apple Pie)
ProBar Meal Bars (Banana Nut Bread)
Off Grid Jerky

Mosby

WKR
I have tried several different brands of meals in several different flavors the last couple of years, in search of a good solution. I bought 3 different name brands last year. I did the same in prior years. Most I would not order again. Some do not taste very good(to me). Some did not completely rehydrate well and it felt like I was picking out rocks. Some taste pretty good and tear your stomach and gi system up a bit later.

I have settled on Packitgourmet.com for my dehydrated meals. I cook and eat out of the bag they provide. A cozy is really important to properly cook and heat meals in a bog. I use one from Arrowhead Equipment which is a company out of Idaho. I put a link below.

If you are going to split up meals, I would buy a small electronic scale to keep everything equal and I have read that freezer quart bags work for bag cooking but I haven't tried it.

https://www.packitgourmet.com
https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p323/SuperDinnerBivy.html

jmez

WKR
Freezer quart bags work well for cooking in. You just have to get an insulator for them. You can buy insulating pouches online that a freezer bag will drop right into.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dla

Ranger619

WKR
I have split meals and put them in freezer bags without issues. Just remember to write on them the amount of water and time it takes to rehydrate. I forget that one year and it was kind of a pain in the arse guessing how long to let them sit. I don't take an insulating pouch, I just slip them into a stocking cap or wrap them in a coat or my sleeping bag. Just make sure they are sealed really well before putting them in your sleeping bag, no need to be eating food out of your sleeping bag with spoon:)

NDGuy

WKR
Off Grid Dinners (recently tried these and they are amazing)
I am still super annoyed that they didn't stock much all year and how they handled preorders. I am glad I didn't place one. Still want to give them a shot.

Otherwise in addition to Mtn House I have tried Paleo Meals to Go, now called Wild Zora those meals are really good and aren't as unhealthy like some of the others. I tried the Beef Stew and Summit Chicken.

Also Heather's Choice packaroons are the bomb!

Last edited:

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
I've used quart freezer bags for instant rice/potatoes. Works really well, just figure out how you want to keep them warm while you eat/it rehydrates

*zap*

WKR
If you want 'real' food you can pre make meals by wrapping the items in food grade parchment paper and then wrapping that in barbecue grade aluminum foil.....cook on coals/pot/pan as is and eat right off parchment paper. Obviously the temperatures need to be cooler and for multiple days away from a cooler you may need other food sources. But it really is a good way to make a meal for primitive camping if you have the right conditions.