Backpacking Stove?

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
What has anyone thought about trying a wood burning backpacking stove for cooking and boiling water. Thought I could bring that instead of having haul fuel canisters. They make them out of titanium.

Mosby

WKR
I have a wood stove I could use but don't out west. Too dry to use sometimes and when I am elk hunting, I am normally pretty tired by the end of day(I'm getting old). It would also suck in really wet conditions. I want to boil water quickly, eat and go to bed. I would probably carry an alcohol stove and maybe 3 oz of fuel a day before wood. I just had the same discussion with my son, who asked about using a wood stove this year. JMO.

reaper

WKR
Smaller one is perfect for this, sometimes it can take some time to boil water VS a canister stove but i really like the warm feeling in the shelter with a wood stove.

I have used the kifaru parastove now using seekoutside CUB stove,really nice.
033c260206be724fc9b16a885886fbb3.jpg
eff345a9316eb668d023e43a882f5e83.jpg
7aa1c6aa8e7c871f2d8759041d89e829.jpg
0d910aa8417489f0d89140007be98a24.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking about the smaller ones, ultralight that are shaped like a little box and made of titanium and doesn't have a stovepipe and don't go into the tent.

CAH

FNG
I think I would rather just have the fuel canister stove... To me, finding wood would be a chore especially after a long hike back to camp. You're going to be hungry and want food fast. Plus, you won't have to worry about an ember flickering up into your tent canopy with the fuel canister allowing you to cook inside on those rainy days.

Lawnboi

WKR
I was thinking about the smaller ones, ultralight that are shaped like a little box and made of titanium and doesn't have a stovepipe and don't go into the tent.

These are neat in theory but a pita in real use. Your at the mercy of the weather, boil times are extremely slow even with prime fuel. Fun to play with on a mild weather trip, or a non hunting situation but at the end of a long day of hunting the last thing I want to do is process wood, wait for my water to boil for 10 minutes and then eat. Much easier and less work to just fire up a canister or white gas stove.

I have taken one on a few trips, not hunting though and even on those trips after a few days I was swearing at the thing, that swearing became more frequent with rain and wind.

I don’t mind a wood stove in a shelter for boiling, but again it requires wood prep, and takes longer, something you may or may not want to deal with daily.

jmden

WKR
What has anyone thought about trying a wood burning backpacking stove for cooking and boiling water. Thought I could bring that instead of having haul fuel canisters. They make them out of titanium.

I've got this Core 5 with some extra goodies from: https://shop.mysurvivalpack.com/

It's OK. Fun option to play around with. Could certainly make it work in decent weather. Have done a little cooking over it, but have to be careful about kinds of pots to use and do you have a hot mit to be able to get it off the stove. Mine puts out one heckuva flame.

But I think unless you were packing 4+ cannisters for backpacking, you'd be better off with a backpacking cannister stove. The cannister stove I use is hardly bigger than my thumb folded up and probably weigh about the same. Hard to beat.

I've got the Cub SO stove as well as well as two sizes larger of the SO stove. In cold weather, definitely best to go that route, but you didn't mention cold weather as I recall, so...

Mike 338

WKR
If you don't have to be anywhere or have anything else to do, it would be a fun thing to use. Can't imagine it would be awesome with a bunch of wet wood everywhere. Summer time seems like the time to use one. Then again, if your really serious about weight, leave the stove hove and eat only meals that require no cooking.

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I love a fire and was trying to do something different I guess. I usually truck camp and was thinking about a spike camp one night and that this setup could work relatively cheap.

jmden

WKR
No doubt those MSP stoves work, but good weather, dry wood and all that probably good with that setup. Mine is pretty heavy all up in reality, but it's pretty cool to use. They r fun!

EmperorMA

WKR
If you’re just spike camping overnight, s small, durable stove like the MSR PocketRocket Deluxe and a single small canister stuffed into a 700ml Titanium pot will be perfect. Light, easy to carry and boils water fast, even in lousy weather.

Lawnboi

WKR
Yeah, I love a fire and was trying to do something different I guess. I usually truck camp and was thinking about a spike camp one night and that this setup could work relatively cheap.

They are not expensive, buy one and give it a try at home, I think you will quickly see why many don’t use them while hunting. Iv got a vargo ti hexagon stove if you want to give it a try for cheap

Beendare

WKR
I've cooked on the cylinder stove I built years ago...now I have the same design but from that light outdoors.

Boiling water for 2 guys can take about 20 minutes plus...more if you are starting cold. I don't do it on a hunt for the reasons the other guys above mentioned.

Now on some summer backpack trips when I have more time to dink around with stuff I used to use one of those home made wood burners- the Sierra stove. With a little fan they work pretty good....takes about 6 min to boil 2 cups of water. After mine got crushed...I never got around to building another.

I've often thought a guy could do a version of one of these with a stove pipe that would keep a small tent warm.

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I was thinking about.

https://www.amazon.com/JOYOOO-Porta...QZMQS34WCAT&psc=1&refRID=MNJN5G7FRQZMQS34WCAT

I could boil water hydrating dinner and breakfast as well as to make some coffee. And I would have a fire to look at and to play with. I really don't think it will be that hard finding the little bit of wood that I would need to burn in it. Fires are cool and although less efficient than a gas stove and a fuel canister it just seems to be better for out west. Maybe I am too much of a romantic or am I just being stupid? Be gentle folks.

It would suck having to get out of the tent before making my coffee and breakfast in the morning. I like my fuel stove. start the water heating before I get out of the sleeping bag. puts a little warmth in the tent.

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
It would suck having to get out of the tent before making my coffee and breakfast in the morning. I like my fuel stove. start the water heating before I get out of the sleeping bag. puts a little warmth in the tent.

Well I guess you have a point on that. But ............ shirt ........... I can't counter that.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Used my large Kifaru stove to cook elk back straps on this last season and it was great! Probably wouldn’t boil water on it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out firebox stoves. They are a great piece of gear. I have no problems hiking with my nano and also have the full size for truck camping. They are extremely efficient and boil water quickly. However, if I am just boiling water, I use a jet boil. For sausages, burger, steaks and boiling water then it's the firebox.

That said, I have never taken one on a hunting trip but use them all year long on backpacking and overlanding trips.