Backup rifle considerations

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
In the initial discussions had on here about bringing a backup rifle to camp, it seemed evenly split, with some folks bringing a second rifle while others opted for more gear. Expanding upon the topic (and not reviving a dead thread) for those of you who bring a backup rifle, do you select the same caliber? If you could, would you bring a twin of the rifle you hunt with, or would the same optic be enough?

sndmn11

WKR
I do take an extra rifle, or three or four. The cartridge is not duplicated by design due to the probability of forgetting four different boxes of ammo versus one.

I don't care if they are duplicate platforms or not is not valuable to me.

Brendan

WKR
Extra rifle - definitely (Bow too during archery season). No need to duplicate cartridge or optic, as long as it's appropriate for the terrain and animal being hunted. My two go-to guns are a 300WM, and a 6.5PRC.

Now, I wouldn't bring it in on a fly-in hunt unless I had a ton of weight allowance, nor would I hike it into a backcountry camp. Generally stays in the truck or base camp unless needed.

Had a failure this year, so my backup did end up getting used (successfully) even though it wasn't ideal for the task at hand.

hiker270

WKR
Depends on what type of hunt I'm on. If I'm hunting out of a cabin or my truck I usually have a backup rifle or bow. On horseback hunts I don't have an extra due to weight restrictions. I don't care about matching calibers as long as the rifle is appropriate for the game I'm hunting. I have never had an issue with a rifle. Had an issue with a semi-auto shotgun on a duck hunt once. Twice I have had a problem with a bow and used my backup.

SDHNTR

WKR
When possible, I do, but that’s also often not possible or practical. ie backpack and fly-in hunts. So for those hunts, a reliable rifle and scope (you listening JW@Tract?) is critical! Not a place for rifles and scopes that won’t withstand some bumps and bruises that happen along the way!

Last edited:
Without a question. On my rifle hunting trips I always keep a backup in the truck or camp. By choice it never is of the same caliber but enough gun to get the job done. On the other hand, for bowhunting I just bring one bow and call it good to go. Bringing a second bow is IMO a PITA. In my younger days I used to bring everything and the kitchen sink now I just bring the bare essentials.

Last edited:

fmyth

WKR
I keep a cheap Savage Axis 7mm-08 locked in the truck as a backup/loaner. I check zero on it just like my primary rifle when I arrive in camp. Dope card and 2 boxes of ammo are in the case and its cable locked to the seat base of the truck to deter a smash and grab. If someone breaks into the truck and cuts the cable/lock to take it the damage to the truck will likely be more than the cost of replacing the rifle. It is not chambered in the same caliber as my primary hunting rifle.

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
Never.

Tikka with a SWFA mounted in TO84rings is as bombproof and capable delivery system there is.

492slayer

FNG
I always bring a number of rifles and a shotgun when headed up to hunt. I'm lucky to only have to day hunt as I stay at a friend's house in our hunting unit. I will switch it up at times depending if I plan to hunt the open ridges (7mm Mag/.300 Win Mag), dark timber (.375 H&H) or whitetail and muleys (30-06, 7mm) and if all works out and I fill my tags, the 12ga gets some love for grouse and the occasional late season turkey tag.

I always bring a number of rifles and a shotgun when headed up to hunt. I'm lucky to only have to day hunt as I stay at a friend's house in our hunting unit. I will switch it up at times depending if I plan to hunt the open ridges (7mm Mag/.300 Win Mag), dark timber (.375 H&H) or whitetail and muleys (30-06, 7mm) and if all works out and I fill my tags, the 12ga gets some love for grouse and the occasional late season turkey tag.
Why .375 H&H for timber?

SwiftShot

WKR
When I go on an away hunt I bring a backup rifle. My primary for many things is my 300 RUM. The backup is usually my 6.5 PRC. Exact same platform but it does swap around. Hunting Pronghorn or whitetail the PRC is the primary and the 300 RUM is backup.

If I am flying in or backpacking in, no backup at all. I am not going to pack it and I will not be leaving it in the truck so no reason to bring one.

robtattoo

WKR
I carry 2 on every truck/cabin hunt.
I couldn't say either are necessarily a backup, but i generally carry a short thumper for the woods & something more pointy for longer range stuff.
I'm never sure until i arrive, whether I'll be hunting thick wood or open country. The general rotation has always been .358win + .30-06/6.5x55 next year I'll be adding in a 9.3x62 for up to 200yds. None of them match, but I'm very familiar with all of them.