Bad shot

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Sunday early afternoon I shot a bull but made a poor judgement and the end result was a gutshot animal that I didn't recover. Posting this as an example to think in the heat of the moment and make sure the shot is going where it needs to.

After 8 days of no shots I was in a new spot and trying to get a bull to respond to a bugle. Came up on a swap on a steep hillside. Moss and vegetation everywhere in the middle of a kind of dry hillside full of blowdowns. Lots of bear scat. Walking and bugling i bumped a bull in the swap. I bugled as he ran away and assumed he was gone. Waited a few and kept going. Bumped him again 75 yards uphill. Bugled again and sat down. Threw put a few cow calls and a chuckle for the heck of it assuming he couldn't hear me anyways with the wind.

Well a few minutes later i see horns moving parallel to me at about 50 yards. He was on a hump is the shade with the sun right behind him and I was sitting in a bright spot downhill. He got to 40 yards and i drew back but after i drew I couldn't see him at all. Let down and tried to spot him. The sun was blinding me. Saw him move at 35 and drew back but couldn't find him in my sight again so let down. Finally i catch something off to my side and see him in a more open spot. Ranged him at 33 and drew back. The back half of his body was clear but front half was behind trees. I knee walked to my left to get a clear shot. Leaning hard to the left I thought i had the back half of the breadbasket but once that thought crossed my mind it took a millisecond for me to shoot. I could see the arrow fly exactly where i was aiming. But as the bull turned and ran i coule see the spot i was aiming was not the backhalf of the lungs. It was right in the guts.

Never found blood or my arrow. Followed the most likely paths he took for close to a mile each. Grid searched the swap. No sign anywhere. Looked the next day again with no luck. Notched my tag and headed home 5 days early. Still sick about it. I haven't lost an animal since I can't remeber because I don't take shots that aren't a sure thing.

Anyways, just a reminder that even when things happen fast and the adrenalin is flowing, make sure not to take a dumass shot and lose an animal. There will be other opportunities.

a couple years ago I took a bad shot with a rifle on a doe and I thought I'd learned my lesson. I recovered that animal but ended up turning what was left of the rear end into burger. this year archery hunting elk I felt the pressure to take a shot that wasn't ideal. my mind raced back and forth, shoot... don't shoot.... shoot... SHOOT. next year or the next hunt I hope to keep my pride at home and honor the critters with the sure kill.

I'm new to hunting and newer on these forums but I'd just like to say that as a guy who's still working through (and probably will always be working through) all the ethical stuff here, I really appreciate that you guys are willing to admit mistakes and admit that they matter. I've been a little put-off by a few things I've seen and heard about from the guy who opened the door to hunting for me. I appreciate him but just feel that he doesn't respect the animals he's hunting...thinks his stories about taking bad shots are just hilarious, etc. Maybe my tune will change as I gain experience and I won't give a shit either, but man, right now it really bothers me to see people thinking the animal deserves precisely zero consideration. So I guess what I mean to say is that as much as I've felt I don't fit in with a few of the hunters I've met because of their general carelessness about this stuff, I appreciate folks like the ones on this thread who seem to genuinely care. Even as the FNG, people on these forums have made me feel like there are definitely other hunters out there I can identify with. Thanks folks.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I gut shot a cow a few years ago and never recovered her. Really tore me up. Elk hunting karma kept me from even seeing anything the following year.

hammerguy

FNG
Sunday early afternoon I shot a bull but made a poor judgement and the end result was a gutshot animal that I didn't recover. Posting this as an example to think in the heat of the moment and make sure the shot is going where it needs to.

After 8 days of no shots I was in a new spot and trying to get a bull to respond to a bugle. Came up on a swap on a steep hillside. Moss and vegetation everywhere in the middle of a kind of dry hillside full of blowdowns. Lots of bear scat. Walking and bugling i bumped a bull in the swap. I bugled as he ran away and assumed he was gone. Waited a few and kept going. Bumped him again 75 yards uphill. Bugled again and sat down. Threw put a few cow calls and a chuckle for the heck of it assuming he couldn't hear me anyways with the wind.

Well a few minutes later i see horns moving parallel to me at about 50 yards. He was on a hump is the shade with the sun right behind him and I was sitting in a bright spot downhill. He got to 40 yards and i drew back but after i drew I couldn't see him at all. Let down and tried to spot him. The sun was blinding me. Saw him move at 35 and drew back but couldn't find him in my sight again so let down. Finally i catch something off to my side and see him in a more open spot. Ranged him at 33 and drew back. The back half of his body was clear but front half was behind trees. I knee walked to my left to get a clear shot. Leaning hard to the left I thought i had the back half of the breadbasket but once that thought crossed my mind it took a millisecond for me to shoot. I could see the arrow fly exactly where i was aiming. But as the bull turned and ran i coule see the spot i was aiming was not the backhalf of the lungs. It was right in the guts.

Never found blood or my arrow. Followed the most likely paths he took for close to a mile each. Grid searched the swap. No sign anywhere. Looked the next day again with no luck. Notched my tag and headed home 5 days early. Still sick about it. I haven't lost an animal since I can't remeber because I don't take shots that aren't a sure thing.

Anyways, just a reminder that even when things happen fast and the adrenalin is flowing, make sure not to take a dumass shot and lose an animal. There will be other opportunities.

Thank you for the reminder! I've worked so hard to be ready for this year, I don't want to miss out on the shot but don't want to take the wrong shot.

If anything positive came from this, by notching your tag, you've told me and a bunch of other folks what kind of a hunter you are. Hats off to you.

I'll say this, and I'm not knocking you because you do whatever feels best, but as bowhunters there are going to be those times and we need to move on. You gain lessons with experience, there really is no other way. I've done the same thing but stayed in the game and then shot my first elk, a nice 6 x 6. I felt like I was going to put it behind me and think positive. Would you have felt guilty shooting another elk if you had hunted the remaining five days? Only you know the answer to that but I try to stay positive and move forward and chalk it up as lesson learned. I didn't take it lightly though and looked as thoroughly as possible as you did.

jog

FNG
Sunday early afternoon I shot a bull but made a poor judgement and the end result was a gutshot animal that I didn't recover. ...Notched my tag and headed home 5 days early. Still sick about it....

That was a very responsible thing you did right there and then posting this thread so others might benefit from your mistake is a great way to take responsibility for what happened.

I wish you luck next hunt and you are welcome in my camp anytime. I wish more hunters would own their actions the way you have.

Rich M

WKR
Sorry about that. Tough situation, sounds like you did all you could and then you did the right thing by not going and killing another elk.

It will sting less in time, never goes away tho. Keep your chin up.