Bad shot placement?

cgasner1

WKR
You had good shot placement, elk just have a large body cavity that needs to fill before you get a large blood trail. And thick coats that can soak up quite a bit. Your story is pretty common even with well placed shots.

This right here it’s kinda like poking a hole in a bucket then filling it with water takes awhile before it start coming out but personally rather hit them a touch high so it fill that cavity and they drownd. He probably got some adrenaline from your buddy and decided to try and live or die in a nasty spot either way everything went as it should

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
LoganKenworthy
This right here it’s kinda like poking a hole in a bucket then filling it with water takes awhile before it start coming out but personally rather hit them a touch high so it fill that cavity and they drownd. He probably got some adrenaline from your buddy and decided to try and live or die in a nasty spot either way everything went as it should

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He definitely got it in his head to make some distance and ended up dying in the thickest stuff he could find. Thank you to everyone who responded, it was super helpful to hear everyone’s opinions and I feel a lot more confident in my shot choice after talking with y’all. Much love

Firestone

WKR
That's a great shot, sometimes they bleed a lot and sometimes they don't. I feel like you could hit 10 different bulls in the same spot and come out with 10 slightly different outcomes.

Try ditching those G5’s and Shoot a muzzy 4-blade. That 4th blade is a game changer. Trust me.

I’ve been shooting them for 25 years.

Ps: PERFECT SHOT

OP
LoganKenworthy
Try ditching those G5’s and Shoot a muzzy 4-blade. That 4th blade is a game changer. Trust me.

My dad and me both shot a muzzy replaceable blade for a while (he still does) and I had the blades break twice on ribs, that’s when I switched to the G5’s. I’ll have to take a look at their 4blade options nowadays

Fowl Play

WKR

What do you see as the benefits of the 4th blade? just curious

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
Fantastic shot. Don't over analyze it. No need too. I shot a bull this year at 30 yards. Hit him perfectly in the lungs. I've learned to shoot a little further back from the crease to reduce the risk of a shoulder shot. Elk's lungs are huge. The bull I shot this year was hit midline square in the lungs. I got about 16" of penetration. I heard him crash within 10 seconds of the shot. I waited about 30 minutes. When I started looking for blood I found nothing. Started grid searching and eventually found my arrow in some very thick undergrowth by luck. It was covered in bubbles. There was still no blood around the arrow or in the vicinity. I found one tiny spec of muscle tissue, like the size of a pin head, about 10 yards away from the arrow. I searched for another 1.5 hours and eventually walked up on him. This is in thick stuff and you could rarely see more than 10 yards. He only ran about 60 yards up the drainage. I knew he was dead but the passing time and lack of blood had me concerned. I am sure this will draw some sceptcism, but I was shooting the Rage hyperdermics. With all my other kills, inluding a bear this year, I get fantastic blood trails with the Rage broadheads.

When I found him, knowing where he came from based on the arrow, I still could not find a drop of blood. There were two drops coming from his mouth where he laid. Nothing came from the entrance wound. When I reached into his abdomen to grab the tenderloins, it was like a blood waterfall. There was so much blood it was splashing in my face when I was moving my hands for cuts. He filled up like a water balloon. Nothing was external. That was the first time that ever happened to me and it gave me a lot of perspective. It was a learning experience for sure.

In other words, you just never know. Great shot and I wouldn't over think it. It sounds like it was simply a weak blood trail.

TxxAgg

WKR
Here is another good thread about blood trails. OP, might consider adding your pic and experience so the next time someone searches the site they can learn from it.

My dad and me both shot a muzzy replaceable blade for a while (he still does) and I had the blades break twice on ribs, that’s when I switched to the G5’s. I’ll have to take a look at their 4blade options nowadays
I can shoot mine into a steel 55 gallon burn barrel, not break the blades off….just saying

What do you see as the benefits of the 4th blade? just curious
It provides another cutting edge that imho creates more of a “hole” in the animal for blood/clots to pour out of.

Either way, they are tough as hell and I get great blood trails with mine for the last 25 years.

Ridiculously sharp from the factory as well.

TxxAgg

WKR
Just for grins, if you decide to tinker in the offseason try some VPA 3 blades over the G5's.

If you use this video and buy the file and stropping compound he lists, you'll find it very easy to sharpen them.

I'm not trying to start a debate. Just giving the OP another option.

Scoot

WKR
I've shot the G5s into lots of critters- some great blood trails, some not as great. No better than the ones I've run through with 4 cutting edges. I agree on the VPAs too, good heads. But... nothing wrong with the G5s. I wouldn't write them off with one less than great blood trail. All heads will produce mediocre blood trails eventually, if you shoot them enough (even on good shots).