Badlands precision bullets?

DuckDogDr

WKR
Moderators I debated on which forum this should have been under, however I wanted the most views so settled here. If needs to be moved I understand.

Considering swapping several rifles to use these.
Was wondering if anyone had any experience with terminal performance on game.
I’m primarily a hunter vs target shooter but the BC’s on these have me drooling .

Twist factor doesn’t bother me as both of new rifles are fast twist. And I’m not one to try and do the most with the least animals will be taken with appropriate calibers.

So far I’m liking the results I get from Hammer Bullets as far as harvests and lack of surrounding tissue damage .
The nosler ballistic tips have served me well too. But exit wounds have varied in size from baseball up to a literal beach ball on one (liver shot)
Hoping for something to be a nice meet in the middle on BC vs performance
Game of choice white tail , antelope and elk

Last edited:
Also wondering how they work on game. I ordered the 195gr BDII to try out in my 22" 300 PRC. I hope to test on game performance this fall.

Jmort1754

WKR
The 205 BD-2 in my 300 prc is lights out with n570. Like 3 inch 500 yard groups.

Just worried about them on game

I use them. Somewhat similar terminal performance to hammer hunters but a much improved BC due to the design. Extremely accurate. My rifle prints groups in the .2-.3 range with very little load development with them.

I killed my bull with them last year and terminal performance was good. It was unfortunately a one lung shot as there was a quarter towards me I must not have recognized at last light (my fault, not the bullets), but I still got full penetration with an exit. From the terminal damage on the exit side good expansion as well. About a 250 yard shot out of a 7 SAUM with 150gr Bulldozer II’s

Big thread on them over at longrangehunting.com with lots of terminal performance reports.

Unless something better comes along, it’s my my elk bullet for the foreseeable future. I used to use Hammers but moved on due to the lackluster BC, which was much lower in reality for me vs what was advertised by Hammer.

Entrance
IMG_0226.jpeg

Exit
IMG_0232.jpeg

Last edited:

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I use them. Somewhat similar terminal performance to hammer hunters but a much improved BC due to the design. Extremely accurate. My rifle prints groups in the .2-.3 range with very little load development with them.

I killed my bull with them last year and terminal performance was good. It was unfortunately a one lung shot as there was a quarter towards me I must not have recognized at last light (my fault, not the bullets), but I still got full penetration with an exit. From the terminal damage on the exit side good expansion as well. About a 250 yard shot out of a 7 SAUM with 150gr Bulldozer II’s

Big thread on them over at longrangehunting.com with lots of terminal performance reports.

Unless something better comes along, it’s my my elk bullet for the foreseeable future. I used to use Hammers but moved on due to the lackluster BC, which was much lower in reality for me vs what was advertised by Hammer.

Entrance
View attachment 572565

Exit
View attachment 572566
What load development technique do you use for them? I want to make a load for 280 ai and try and do it as efficiently as possible since those BD2s aren’t cheap.

What load development technique do you use for them? I want to make a load for 280 ai and try and do it as efficiently as possible since those BD2s aren’t cheap.
@SDHunter44 I started with Barnes load data as a jumping off point. I loaded at .030” off the lands, jumped by .5gr with a single shot each until I got to my target velocity or saw pressure signs.

I got to 2950 out of a 22in barrel and called it good in my case. Then I shot a group and was completely satisfied. My load development probably took around 15 rounds total.

Could I eek a bit more out of it? Maybe. But when you are already printing in the .3’s, it’s not worth the barrel life or components.

Trackselk

WKR
Looks like justice was served. Really unlikely this guy is going to survive 15 years in federal prison, (unless he paroles early) especially with a child related charge. So, basically worse than a death sentence...
And, who's to say the proceeds aren't feeding his wife and kids, or elderly relatives. I don't think we need to avoid these bullets is all I'm saying.
If he gets out of prison alive, then I think it's a different call. Also, should his business partner suffer for his crimes...
As far as we know, the partner may have been the one that turned him in.(?)

Back to the bullets. I agree with the excellent accuracy. 500ish pound elk meets 22 creedmoor, 3559 fps 70 grain bulldozer II. Sheds petals at this speed out to at least 350 yards (where i shot the elk). The petals radiate outwards with surprising force. I found 2 petals deep in muscle tissue after making more holes in the lungs. I was up on a cliff with about a 70ish degree downward shot on the bedded bull. It went through the lungs, exited the ribs, and almost blew his foot off when it hit his ankle. He traveled a slow (for a wounded elk) 100 yards and expired, unable to keep up with the cows. The results were much more deadly than an arrow... (and I like arrows!)
I also shot a deer that traveled less than 100 yards. So far so good, but i think it has its limits in 22 cal. I passed on a 500 yard broadside shot on a decent sized 6 point bull, because there was some light brush right in front of him. I would have sent it if I had been shooting a 30 cal projectile.
Meat damage/ terminal performance was maybe slightly less than the barnes ttsx .308 150's that I'm accustomed to (factory speed).

Attachments

• IMG_20231119_125140.jpg
    IMG_20231119_125140.jpg
    670.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: