25-06ai loaded with modern heavies….130’s

LJT88

FNG
Anyone out there running fast twist 25-06 or 25-06ai with the modern hornady and Berger mid 130gr bullets?

What twist you running?
What speeds are you getting?
What brass are you using and how are you getting AI brass?
How’s the terminal performance been on game?

I have a tikka long action standard bolt face action I’m looking to do something with.

Primary used for hunting anything from antelope, whitetail and mule deer and elk.

An easier option would be the 280ai. Factory ammo available along with pre fit barrels. Just built a 280ai for my dad and it works great but the 25-06 is an interesting option.

Not to change your mind but I have a 280AI I had built on a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter and I love that rifle and cartridge!!!
Rifle.
IMG_2052.jpg
Grizzly Bear
DSCF0254(1).JPG

My rifle

SloppyJ

WKR
Sub'd for discussion. I already have a 280ai and I'm looking for something for whitetail under that. Like you, I have a donor gun (Model 70 30-06) that I want to do something fun and unique-ish with. Was looking at the 25 creed for the ability to shorten the barrel and run a suppressor but might want some more juice behind it.

With that said, like the poster above, the 280ai is a really special cartridge. I love mine and cannot see ever not having one.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a buddy I set up with 280ai. Killed elk over the last few years. He killed the first year with my 7mm so that was close enough for him and buying some factory ammo was an important factor.

The 280ai is a great cartridge. I was a big believer in 7mm. It gets the benefit of the heavy 180 and 195 with high BC with less recoil than the .300. The 280 ai runs awesome with 168 VLD handloads. I still am a big 7mm guy, but…

My 7mm shot a coues at 730 yards and was way too much on deer even that far. I didn’t think the 6.5 magnum wasn’t much different than the 7mm, so I didn’t switch. And, s 6mm wasn’t as good as I wanted in the wind at the furthest distances I could shoot in some hunts. Having shot a bunch of 6 creed in matches, I wanted a little more weight for shots over 600 yards to reduce wind drift.

Years ago. I had been watching guys using the 130 Blackjack in .257 with interest when it was new. So, when Berger dropped the 133 elite Hunter I preordered bullets and sent my barrel. I built myself a 25 SST running them easy about 3050 in a 24” barrel. I got a new barrel at 21” and am working up loads. I think I can get 2950-3000 fps and be happy.

I would tell you to go the the 25-06ai all day long.

It is easier to shoot and is about like a 6.5 creed recoil. The 133 Elite Hunters are devastating. They have a bit more penetration than the ELDm and TMK but just as explosive. I like the extra penetration for elk. Haven’t killed anything besides deer and caribou so far in the year I have had it (only tags I have had).

If you want a more turnkey set up than 25-06 ai, the 25 Sherman is an option with his dies and brass.

Exit on a small caribou inside 100 yards. That’s why I knew I did not need the 7mm for the vast majority of shots. At 800 to 1000 yards I might want to have my 7mm cause of wind.
CDDC1DEC-C85B-4563-A9C3-1963FC105660.jpeg

SloppyJ

WKR
I have a buddy I set up with 280ai. Killed elk over the last few years. He killed the first year with my 7mm so that was close enough for him and buying some factory ammo was an important factor.

The 280ai is a great cartridge. I was a big believer in 7mm. It gets the benefit of the heavy 180 and 195 with high BC with less recoil than the .300. The 280 ai runs awesome with 168 VLD handloads. I still am a big 7mm guy, but…

My 7mm shot a coues at 730 yards and was way too much on deer even that far. I didn’t think the 6.5 magnum wasn’t much different than the 7mm, so I didn’t switch. And, s 6mm wasn’t as good as I wanted in the wind at the furthest distances I could shoot in some hunts. Having shot a bunch of 6 creed in matches, I wanted a little more weight for shots over 600 yards to reduce wind drift.

Years ago. I had been watching guys using the 130 Blackjack in .257 with interest when it was new. So, when Berger dropped the 133 elite Hunter I preordered bullets and sent my barrel. I built myself a 25 SST running them easy about 3050 in a 24” barrel. I got a new barrel at 21” and am working up loads. I think I can get 2950-3000 fps and be happy.

I would tell you to go the the 25-06ai all day long.

It is easier to shoot and is about like a 6.5 creed recoil. The 133 Elite Hunters are devastating. They have a bit more penetration than the ELDm and TMK but just as explosive. I like the extra penetration for elk. Haven’t killed anything besides deer and caribou so far in the year I have had it (only tags I have had).

If you want a more turnkey set up than 25-06 ai, the 25 Sherman is an option with his dies and brass.

Exit on a small caribou inside 100 yards. That’s why I knew I did not need the 7mm for the vast majority of shots. At 800 to 1000 yards I might want to have my 7mm cause of wind.

This 25SST might be the ticket. Was wanting something a little hotter than a 25creed to run a shorter barrel with a suppressor. That 133 at 3kfps would be perfect.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This 25SST might be the ticket. Was wanting something a little hotter than a 25creed to run a shorter barrel with a suppressor. That 133 at 3kfps would be perfect.

25 saum or SST is a good call. The 25-284 is another option that should fit in a short action.

Since its a tikka with a long action bolt stop I would look at the 25-06 as the easy button. I don't think there is any reason to use the AI version with that caliber unless you want a laser beam! Now if you could use 280 AI brass and just neck down? that's not too bad unless you have to neck turn, but fireforming 25-06 AI brass gets to be an extra step....

If you do want something different the 25-284 would also go well in the Long action and let you shoot the really long bullets seated out. Could use 6.5/284 brass?

In a tikka, 25-06 with Berger 135 is a little too long OAL. You might get away with a custom reamer and running the bullet deeper in the case.

25-284 works better on a tikka

3000-3100 fps in either depending on barrel length, powders used, etc

I would also add that Redding sells 25-06AI die sets, so fireforming isn't absolutely required. From the several articles I've read on the 25-06AI, folks typically get good accuracy with standard 25-06 ammo as well. After shooting you have once-fired AI brass fireformed.

https://eabco.com/redding-25-06-remington-ackley-improved-40-degree-deluxe-3-die-set/

Greatest value that AI provides is reduced trimming and case life. The additional capacity shouldn't be a determining factor or tiebreaker vs. another good cartridge.

In a tikka, 25-06 with Berger 135 is a little too long OAL. You might get away with a custom reamer and running the bullet deeper in the case.

25-284 works better on a tikka

3000-3100 fps in either depending on barrel length, powders used, etc
Agree after testing in my Tikka 25-06. You cannot maximize COAL for the heavies as the action gets in the way. You can solve this with some round file work and updating to Red Snake tactical DBM and mags. However, this is a lot of extra expense with questionable return.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I have a long action model 70 I'd like to convert. Any recommendations?
the mag boxes are interchangable in the m70. You might have to modify some stuff like the extractor, bolts stop, follower but all easy to do. I have my m70 at the smith right now getting a 8 twist .270 win barrel. Took the spacer out of my standard long action box and will be able to get 3.6 oal.
Id do a fast twist 25-06 for the brass availability and ammo on the shelf in emergencies but it's really think it's a personal choice they get the same thing done.

Ran some calculations the other day. The published Tikka LA internal magazine length is 3.36"
  • The .25-06 AI neck/shoulder is 2.1818"
  • Berger .257 135 hybrid target bearing surface- .450"
  • Berger .257 135 hybrid target nose length- .729"
Per @wind gypsy, Add those 3 dimensions and you get the estimated COAL with the bearing surface seated right at the neck shoulder junction.
  • Given these measurements, the Berger 133-135 (and likely Hornady 134 ELDM) estimated COAL is 3.3608" which exceeds the length of the Tikka LA internal mag.
There are a couple solutions to this problem.
  • Seat the bullets a little deeper, losing some capacity and increasing risk of compressed max loads
  • Take a round file to the action and increase the internal clearance for the long bullets
    • Purchase Red Snake tactical DBM and mags for additional COAL

OP
L

LJT88

FNG
I would be putting my tikka into either a XLR element or MDT HNT26 chassis. Both have 3.560 mags. That should make running heavies work.

Last edited: