Bag boil meals?

S.Clancy

WKR
I've done it with lasagna, pesto pasta, regular pasta, stir fry, chili, stew, tons of stuff. A couple weeks ago I made sushi rice, vac sealed it, then reheated in a pot on a rafting trip to make tuna poke....no cleanup. It's the bee knees.

NCtrapper

FNG
Nailed it.

If not back packed in and truck camping all my meals are pre prepared and heat up in hot water.

To the OP, darn near anything you want to eat can be sealed in a foodsavwer so no need to gather idea. start cooking and selaing and freezing.

Pro tip, for anything wagtery, freeze first, then vac seal to get a better seal.

I make a pile of breakfasst burritos, wrapped in foil before vac seal, red chili, green chili, stroganoff, ‘beef’ bourguignon, tacos, spagetti/meatballs, lasagna, smoked chicken etc. all made with a variety of whatever game meat I want to thin out each fall, and for any 5-10 day hunt, I have four or so varieties I rotate dailed for diinner and a breakfats buttito each morning. Works for me and satisfying every meal and fast prep and minimal cleanup. Swap in whatever you like. If a favbe food can be frozen and reheagted it can be in your rotation. Often I start with 20 or so pounds of meat, cut into cubes and stewed and then parcel that meat out into some of thre above favorites. In one nmight will make that sgtedwsed meat into green chili, red chili and stroganoff. then freeze into 1 or 2 person meals then vac seal next day.

By early august I hav er a freezer full of premade meals, usually more than needed for fall hunts.
If one were to be backpacked in, how long do you think a burrito that was frozen before you packed in would last? I'm thinking about doing this to break up the amount of freeze dried meals I eat when not staying at the truck. even if its just the 1st or second night.

87TT

WKR
My experience with burritos is they are fine in my pack for a couple of days. Just no sour cream. Cheese has been fine. Carry them for lunch and eat them cold with hot sauce packets from a fast food place. If you boil them in vac seal bag, they get gooey and doughy. I just wrap them in foil.

Bumping this back up because I’m leaving for rifle in a few days and I’m finishing up meal prep. I’m interested in the breakfast burrito. So you guys are cooking sausage, eggs etc, wrapping the ingredients in a tortilla, then wrapping in foil before vacuum sealing. For warm up, just throw the sealed bag into boiling water? Any other meal ideas that’s worked well? Has anyone done bbq chicken or pulled pork?

Azone

WKR
Bumping this back up because I’m leaving for rifle in a few days and I’m finishing up meal prep. I’m interested in the breakfast burrito. So you guys are cooking sausage, eggs etc, wrapping the ingredients in a tortilla, then wrapping in foil before vacuum sealing. For warm up, just throw the sealed bag into boiling water? Any other meal ideas that’s worked well? Has anyone done bbq chicken or pulled pork?
No experience with pre made breakfast burritos but pulled pork and chili Colorado were well received at camp last year using the hot water reheating method.
Having some bags of frozen pre cooked rice and potatoes went well with them. I’d imagine some bbq chicken thighs would be pretty tasty.
Last years surprises were the frozen meals we did in foil trays and reheated on top of the wood stove with a large tinfoil shroud over the trays. If memory serves me correctly it was enchiladas and mac n cheese and they were pretty damn good. If you go the foil tray route with some of your meals the thinner the layer you can keep in the tray the faster and more even it will heat up.

I try to do this for atleast one meal when I go on trips so I have a guaranteed meal. My favorite is pork loin, sauerkraut, and perogies. I cook the loin in the pressure cooker so it breaks down easily and throw some granny Smith apple slices in too. I will just stick the bag in my wall tent stoves water tank and eat right out of the package. Got to keep the digestive system properly functioning!
428b615f41d03d37546859fa48a0f66e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk