Bag for Cold Sleepers

I have tried down booties, the ice breaker booties, socks, warm water bottles, hand warmers, warm rocks, etc. So far nothing really works.

Esse quam videri

Hmmm, the booties worked for me. I have the 4oz fill enlightened equipment APEX ones now that I really like, but the wiggys were the warmest I ever tried. For the price, you might give them a shot. They are heavier, but to sleep comfy, might be worth it.
Booties: Warm, Durable & Breathable - by Wiggy’s

Weekender

WKR
Generally the cold feeling is from the ground. Try the Zlite under a Xtherm, wear some wool socks, long underwear, and cap. If you need more pull out synthetic insulation coat, pants, boots, and cap. If your cold after that...man you are a cold sleeper ;) . Stove and better bag

Before I bought anything in the bag department, I'd get a foam cell pad and try it with the inflatable pad you have. And add a woobie. Good luck and God Bless

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
Before I bought anything in the bag department, I'd get a foam cell pad and try it with the inflatable pad you have. And add a woobie. Good luck and God Bless
Hey guys... Why the woobie suggestions? Ive never really looked into one until recently and they dont seem like they would be awesome to pack around.

Why would it better that a warmer bag?

Last edited:
If you are backpacking, space and weight is paramount. And, packing gear that serves multiple purposes saves on both. We have all likely been hunting in paces that required a lot of walking. The kind that gets you hot. So, you wear minimum clothes while walking or humping in and, pack outer layers for when setting. For me, a primaloft vest, a primaloft liner jacket, wool or microtex button up, and a baselayer will get me to 20 or so on sunny days. I can leave the vest out and use the woobie when setting awaiting the next move or waiting on an animal. I can use the same woobie when lounging in the evening before bed. I can use the same woobie for a blanket over my top quilt when ground sleeping in single digits. Or, stuff it in between my under quilt on my hammock when it drops to the low teens. It's just a multiple purpose piece of gear. My homemade one compress very small. As small as the vest. It's light because I made it shorter and, out of a lighter shell material. And, the big thing is, I could wear the vest for everything I can use the woobie for. Except sleeping. I don't like bulk when sleeping and the vest doesn't boost the whole quilt like the woobie.

If I had a bag that was almost good enough, instead of buying another $400 plus bag, I'd buy $50 worth of material and sew one or, have a local shop sew me one for using when sleeping. God Bless

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
Thanks guys. Who makes one other than the military one and Kifaru? Id like to research it.

there are some other makers of woobie type liners but dont know enough about fabrics and materials to say there worth anything.i saw a Kelty bestie blanket for 20$ at Dicks sporting goods. there is also a woobie blanket at bed ,bath, and beyond.then theres the Snugpak jungle blanket.

Dobermann

WKR
Another option is a an 'inner bag' or 'sleeping bag extender' ... basically, a really lightweight extra bag that you can use inside a full-size bag to extend the temp ratings.

I sleep cold as well, but two bags covers me for everything: summer, I just use the light bag, mild temps I use the standard bag, and cold weather means using both. Plus, if you need to vent during the night, it's possible to undo the outer bag for a bit, but still have some coverage from the inner bag. This allows me to let out some excess heat while not freezing. I've used this system for years now, and it works well for me.

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
Hey guys, when Ive had time over the past day I have been researching this woobie/quilt idea and it sounds better the more I research.

A 40 degree quilt made from 3.6 Apex should be able to get me down to -10 in combination with my bag, according to Enlightened Equipment... even though I sleep warm, I bet thats 0 or so, and thats pretty much what I want to be comfortable at. As WV Mountaineer brought up, I also will have a very versatile piece of kit to add to my collection. I think theres a lot of upside to trying this out before I invest in a bag.

As always seems to be the case, at least with me... If you keep discussing things, ask questions, and let your threads play out you really end up with great solutions from this forum. Thanks again guys!

rayporter

WKR
if you are putting the extra insulation over your bag sew a couple strips of velcro to the bag and the over quilt to keep it in place.

that slippery stuff is hard to keep in place.

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
if you are putting the extra insulation over your bag sew a couple strips of velcro to the bag and the over quilt to keep it in place.

that slippery stuff is hard to keep in place.

If I make it myself I was thinking of adding a draw string and some buckles so i can cinch it down about 1/3rd of the way and wrap it better under my feet.... more like a quilt. Would this work or will I need more?

Old_Navy

Lil-Rokslider
EE has a strapping system, that goes around your pad & clips to the quilt to anchor it to the pad

https://enlightenedequipment.com/elastic-pad-straps/

they also have a double buckle strap when you run 2 quilts

https://enlightenedequipment.com/sub-zero-strap-quilt-layering-strap/

be sure to size -up on the quilt, you want it loose enough to cover you & the bag without compromising any of it's loft.

Give the folks at EE a call , discuss your plan I'm sure they will be happy to help with the best solution

hodgeman

WKR
For what it's worth... the only two bags I've found that would go to their temp rating comfortably was a WM and a Wiggy's. The Puma is probably overkill, but your current bag is probably not nearly as warm as it's advertised.

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
For what it's worth... the only two bags I've found that would go to their temp rating comfortably was a WM and a Wiggy's. The Puma is probably overkill, but your current bag is probably not nearly as warm as it's advertised.
Im not surprised. Thats what I've always read (regarding WM). I think my bag lines up more, spec wise, with a 30 degree WM bag than a 20 degree.

For me, my bag is good until the high 20s, not 19 degrees.