Bag/Sleep system for Brooks Range

badlander

FNG
September in the Brooks Range.

I have an Enlightened Equipment 20F down quilt and I really like it, but most recommendations I see for this trip are to go synthetic.

Considering a few options.

Kifaru Slick 0 and just having that?

Kifaru body bag and using that over my down quilt for a bit more full coverage and protection in case I do get a bit of moisture in the tent?

I suspect the layered version would be warmer and slightly heavier, just the hassle of 2 bags. the Kifaru bags sure appear to be the lightest synthetic option Ive found. I like the idea of being able to "sleep my gear dry" in the synthetic bag, not sure how well that works and retains insulative value in the layered system.

Thanks!

Wapiti151

WKR
just my .02, I always use down and was on a trip very similar to you a few months ago for caribou as well as a VERY wet blacktail trip a couple years ago in the PWS of AK. I've never had a problem with my bag getting wet, at least not to a point that inhibited insulation. My hunting group of 4 all had down bags, either 15* or 0* and my partner in the PWS also had a down bag. However, we all had this water proof bivy from MLD https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/event-soul-bivy/, which you can put your bag and sleep pad in to keep everything together and dry. In PWS we used these to sleep in a floorless shelter on top of snow and completely saturated, spongy ground....never got wet and was still able to sleep everything dry per usual. Like ground saturated to the point of a puddle forming wherever you stepped. I also keep my down in a waterproof compression sack anytime it's in my back to keep it dry even if I fall in a creek, or whatever.

The bivy is amazing, and use it in my sleep system for all hunts now regardless of weather...it's also only 12oz and takes up less space than a nalgene.

Sounds like this could be a good option for you. Just take the necessary steps to keep all your down as dry as possible and you should be good to go, IMO.

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
As he said above, Lamina bags are good. If you’re looking for the same Apex insulation, some of the Eddie Bauer bags use them. I had a slick bag and it was just ok. Traded it for a Chilkoot 15 and haven’t had any down wetting out issues on two long hunts—one a very wet sheep hunt. I didn’t use any special bivy or bag. When my feet might rub on the tent, I cover the foot of my bag with my rain jacket.
I picked up one of the Eddie Bauer 20 degree bags with the Apex for $99 on sale and used it on a short hunt. Worked just fine. I still think I’m going to stick with the Chilkoot for just about everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk