Chilkoot Bag too Narrow?

Hi all,

I've been researching that crap out of bags, and one thing really has me scratching my head. The Chilkoot is listed as a bit narrower than most other bag in the hips and feet. The shoulders seem like a normal cut. It's strange because people talk about how roomy these bags are - I assume they mean up top. As an active side sleeper, I sleep much better if I can spread my legs out a bit, stretch out one knee, etc.

Any folks have experience they can relate to this? Anyone feel a little restricted in these bags from the waist down? Thanks!

I'm a flop around, side/belly sleeper and find that my Chilkoot has plenty of room. I'm about 5'9" 210lb for reference.

I think if you want more room, it's probably a semi-rectangular or similar cut bag.

Bearsears

WKR
I have a 15 and I love it. It is really roomy for me until about mid thigh. From there down I do feel it is a little tight. Im a pretty active sleeper and every once in awhile it bothers me. It doesn't bother me enough to look for a different bag or suggest something different to people though. They have to taper somewhere to retain the warmth the bag has and not up the total weight of the bag too much. Gear is always a compromise somewhere.

cjcavinaw

FNG
I would agree, it does feel a little tight in the legs sometimes. With that being said though, I have never slept better in a sleeping bag than in my chilkoot. I'm 6'6" 220lbs so its hard to find one that will fit my long legs in the first place but with how light and warm it is i love mine.

I have the chilkoot 15 and it vary roomie throughout the upper body and shoulders. I have a 42" chest with broad shoulders and have plenty of room to move around. Matter of fact any bigger it would lose thermal efficiency.

OP
W
Thanks folks for the feedback. Yes, the Chilkoot is very roomy! I think they measure things a bit differently than other companies - they measure width and other companies measure circumference - some online outlets (I think GoHunt) double the width of the Chilkoot to match the circumference measurements of other bags. Well, it doesn't quite work out, as I tested the Chilkoot against other bags that were supposed to be wider in the hips/knees/feet - but were not. YOu were right, the Chilkoot is huge! And super comfy with all that size. However, for me it was just too long (I'm 5'8"), so I lost a lot of heat at the feet. Plus, with the hole in the zipper (I just posted about this), the bag didn't keep me nearly as warm as the other bags I tested that were the proper length and had any zipper drafts buttoned up with draft tubes.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback - your insights were closer to reality than researching the statistics... which I guess is why this forum exists. Cheers!