Baggage policies

280rem

FNG
Since some of the caribou hunters are traveling before a lot of the moose hunters. Have any of you dealt with the new alaska air baggage policies for tickets purchased after June 30th 2023? Wondering what you’re encountering as far as the them saying they can charge multiple fees on a bag and such? I see these as being some extremely bad charges for us traveling hunters and requiring all new game plans in the future for some.

Smtn10pt

FNG
I know my buddy thought he was going to get a bunch of free bags with his military ID and that did not work out in his favor. I paid 200$ for two boxes that were close to 100 pounds each.

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
I know my buddy thought he was going to get a bunch of free bags with his military ID and that did not work out in his favor. I paid 200$ for two boxes that were close to 100 pounds each.
Wow! How much is "a bunch"? The policy is still the same for Active Duty but 150 instead of 100 for the additional... and dependents are the same...
Active duty US military personnel
Must have a valid military ID: Bags may weigh up to 70 pounds and be up to 115" (linear) without incurring overweight or oversize fees.
First 5 bags free;
additional bags $150 each

Diff airlines give diff mil allocation for baggage.

And sometimes it depends on if traveling on official orders travel or leave status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
Diff airlines give diff mil allocation for baggage.

And sometimes it depends on if traveling on official orders travel or leave status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah but since the OP was specifically talking about AK Airlines I had copy/pasted AK Airlines military personnel baggage policy.

OP
280rem

280rem

FNG
Yeah this is alaska air specific. Other airlines have been charging sky high fees for years now. Alaska air has kept very generous policies and a commitment to the traveling outdoor enthusiasts. It’s been cheaper to fly fish/game home than about any other means. I’m pointing out the significance of this as it’s appearing that this may mean an end to an era. Ole game plans may need to be revised.

OP
280rem

280rem

FNG
In the past I’ve encountered a large difference at Alaska airports vs lower 48 airports. The alaska air staff at alaska airports are always generous and courteous to outdoorsman, and seem to have good knowledge of policies. Staffing at lower 48 airports seem more like subcontractors, that know only general airline rules and I’ve often had to point out and show alaska air specific policies to them to get things correct. So yes I would expect all degrees of interpretation and treatment at various locations around the United States.

Yeah this is alaska air specific. Other airlines have been charging sky high fees for years now. Alaska air has kept very generous policies and a commitment to the traveling outdoor enthusiasts. It’s been cheaper to fly fish/game home than about any other means. I’m pointing out the significance of this as it’s appearing that this may mean an end to an era. Ole game plans may need to be revised.
I can let you know tomorrow, flying out of Fairbanks. I’m not optimistic, I’ve had two interactions with Alaska airlines in the past 2 weeks and both were terrible. Actually had a lady yell at me this morning from Alaska air 😂

OP
280rem

280rem

FNG
The biggest point of all this, and for anyone who doesn’t know. For example, the 3rd bag WAS $100, PERIOD!!! It did not matter if was oversized AND weighed 98lbs it was $100 and NEVER more. Now, it is $150 AND another $150 for oversized or overweight according to their website. Hopefully only double charging and not triple charging. That’s why I was hoping to get a feel for what people are encountering.

Smtn10pt

FNG
I
Wow! How much is "a bunch"? The policy is still the same for Active Duty but 150 instead of 100 for the additional... and dependents are the same...
Active duty US military personnel
Must have a valid military ID: Bags may weigh up to 70 pounds and be up to 115" (linear) without incurring overweight or oversize fees.
First 5 bags free;
additional bags $150 each
He was thinking he would get 5 free bags. I think he ended up having 4 bags but three of them were over the 70 pound cutoff so he was charged the overweight fee.

OP
280rem

280rem

FNG
I can let you know tomorrow, flying out of Fairbanks. I’m not optimistic, I’ve had two interactions with Alaska airlines in the past 2 weeks and both were terrible. Actually had a lady yell at me this morning from Alaska air 😂
My check in was a shit show, because all but one employee was very late including manager who had keys to gun declarations and other info. But on a good note, I was extremely nice with the one employee and not charged any more than the kiosk that prints the bag tags charged, which was far less than I thought it might be.

My check in was a shit show, because all but one employee was very late including manager who had keys to gun declarations and other info. But on a good note, I was extremely nice with the one employee and not charged any more than the kiosk that prints the bag tags charged, which was far less than I thought it might be.
Charged the $150. Also had to stand at check in for an hr because Alaska employee said I didn’t have a ticket, on phone with American, back and forth, stayed very pleasant, Alaska airlines employee did not. She finally called someone else over and they fixed it in 2 minutes. I’ve had exactly 3 interactions with Alaska Airlines now and all were awful.