Barefoot Options

Wojo14

WKR
Guys, Over the last 2 years I have worked my way into “bare foot” zero rise shoes and boots. It fits my paleo life style. I find I can not wear standard boots anymore because my feet feel very cramped in the toe box and even the most flexible boots I have tried seem too stiff.
I like like feeling connected to the earth...
Anyway, I am concerned about how I can hold up on a backcountry pack hunt. I have been doing intense 3 mile hikes in my Vivo Tracker hikers and I seam ok. Now, I have only been using about 30 pounds in my pack right now.
Any guys out there “bare foot” guys too?
What do you do/suggest?
Is there a good boot out there as an alternative for my hunting boot that gives my a very flexible sole and less lift?

~Wojo

Trial153

WKR
I use vibram five fingers to finish my stalks in some country. They might work for your needs

Altra is the big name when it comes to zero drop shoes. They have a true hiker coming out in the summer as well.

Wirrex

FNG
I have been a martial arts guy my whole life and prefer wide flexible footwear. I have never found a boot that I really like. They are usually too stiff and narrow. I’m following this thread hoping someone has an answer.

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
I am going to continue the search. I like the Vivo’s but the lack of a gaitor might be an issue. I put 4mm wool for beds in them and made a world of difference in the cold and for comfort.

Those Altra Peak look interesting and are gaiter computable.

twall13

WKR
While I do like Altras and they are a good zero drop shoe with a generous toe box, they are not a barefoot shoe by any means. I wear a lot of Vivobarefoot shoes, including for everyday wear and my main trail running shoes. I mix in a pair of Altras on occasion for trail running and there is a big difference in how I feel the ground between the two. If you truly want a barefoot feel the Altras won't get you there but they may be the next best thing. Otherwise I'd keep testing the Vivobarefoots you have to see if they will work how you need them to and just be careful not to injure yourself.

Personally I train and build up foot and ankle strength with barefoot shoes but in the mountains I go with a stiff, full length Crispi boot. The steep terrain means I don't notice the heal drop as much and I like knowing my boots are helping protect my feet with a heavy load. Maybe it won't work for everyone but it's worked for me so far.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
While I do like Altras and they are a good zero drop shoe with a generous toe box, they are not a barefoot shoe by any means. I wear a lot of Vivobarefoot shoes, including for everyday wear and my main trail running shoes. I mix in a pair of Altras on occasion for trail running and there is a big difference in how I feel the ground between the two. If you truly want a barefoot feel the Altras won't get you there but they may be the next best thing. Otherwise I'd keep testing the Vivobarefoots you have to see if they will work how you need them to and just be careful not to injure yourself.

Personally I train and build up foot and ankle strength with barefoot shoes but in the mountains I go with a stiff, full length Crispi boot. The steep terrain means I don't notice the heal drop as much and I like knowing my boots are helping protect my feet with a heavy load. Maybe it won't work for everyone but it's worked for me so far.

Very good point! I agree after looking at the Altra.
~Wojo

Jbehredt

WKR

This seems smart. Training your feet to safely and suddenly be able to add 100 lbs to your back and traverse steep, uneven terrains seems like a tall tall order.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Belleville/Tactical Research Mini Mil.
I haven't used them but the Mini Mil was designed as a minimalist footwear boot and probably pretty close to what you want.

Not as minimal, but still less drop and less cushion and more flexibility than most boots is the Belleville 320 Ultra light assault boot.

Both of those may be worth looking into.