Barrel length, concussion, your experience.

180ls1

WKR
I can’t own a suppressor in my state but toying going to a longer barrel with no device.

What has been your experience with barrel length. Of my 3 rifles 22” bare, 24” spiral port, 26” baffle. Each progression increases blast despite having a longer barrel (this is a factor of the muzzle device I assume). However, for the sake of discussion, how would a 28” barrel muzzle rifle shoot compared to the 22”? Would the blast be much different?

I am also looking at a SME device.

Any general thoughts on the topic are welcome.

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat, wish I could have a suppressor but I can’t. My preferred barrel length is 26” without any muzzle device. The muzzle blast difference is very noticeable to me. Comparing the same cartridge (6.5cm and 22cm) with 20” and 22” barrels to 24/26” is the difference between occasionally fighting shot anticipation and getting off clean, relaxed shots. Maybe I’m just sensitive to it but I’ll take a 24-26” barrel every time if I can choose. 22” is manageable but less than that is obnoxious to me.

Buddy tried an SME device and didn’t think it really offered much. Slightly less recoil than bare muzzle (or maybe prolonged impulse) and louder than bare muzzle. Didn’t really solve anything for him.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
I’m in the same boat, wish I could have a suppressor but I can’t. My preferred barrel length is 26” without any muzzle device. The muzzle blast difference is very noticeable to me. Comparing the same cartridge (6.5cm and 22cm) with 20” and 22” barrels to 24/26” is the difference between occasionally fighting shot anticipation and getting off clean, relaxed shots. Maybe I’m just sensitive to it but I’ll take a 24-26” barrel every time if I can choose. 22” is manageable but less than that is obnoxious to me.

Buddy tried an SME device and didn’t think it really offered much. Slightly less recoil than bare muzzle (or maybe prolonged impulse) and louder than bare muzzle. Didn’t really solve anything for him.

Thanks for the input. That is interesting.

I assume there are diminishing returns at some point. However, a smaller more efficient cartridge would help, to what extent? I have no idea.

I also assume barrel length helps but when do the returns diminish? Maybe just with packability but *some* of that could be mitigated with a folding chassis.

22ARC with a 28" barrel vs 6.5 creed with 24" barrel? How different are they really? What about a 6arc at 26" compared to a 6creed at 26".

Wrench

WKR
28" is going to need to be pretty stiff to equal the accuracy of a shorter barrel.

I'd certainly tune the choice around rifle balance before I went to a 28.
Here's a 28" plus a brake I spun up. Think it's stupid. It looks and handles like a goose gun.

Screenshot_20240512-115336_Photos.jpg

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
28" is going to need to be pretty stiff to equal the accuracy of a shorter barrel.

I'd certainly tune the choice around rifle balance before I went to a 28.
Here's a 28" plus a brake I spun up. Think it's stupid. It looks and handles like a goose gun.

View attachment 710832

How does is the blast compared to a shorter barrel, say 24" if everything else is the same?

Each person’s threshold is going to be different.

I have a 300 Norma Improved at 26” and a 300 SAUM Improved at 21”.

The difference in felt blast is pretty much inconceivable to me but I don’t consider myself to be recoil or blast sensitive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
Each person’s threshold is going to be different.

I have a 300 Norma Improved at 26” and a 300 SAUM Improved at 21”.

The difference in felt blast is pretty much inconceivable to me but I don’t consider myself to be recoil or blast sensitive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Same/similar muzzle device?

huntnful

WKR
Is the blast effecting you negatively? Or is it just something you notice? I use directional muzzle brakes, which is pretty much a maximum achievable blast. And I’ve shot various larger magnums in 24” & 26” and notice no difference between them. The only difference I feel is dropping cartridge size completely. I think that has a MUCH larger effect than 2” of barrel length

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
Is the blast effecting you negatively? Or is it just something you notice? I use directional muzzle brakes, which is pretty much a maximum achievable blast. And I’ve shot various larger magnums in 24” & 26” and notice no difference between them. The only difference I feel is dropping cartridge size completely. I think that has a MUCH larger effect than 2” of barrel length

Not my shooting so much, if at all. I am *worried* about my head. I can just tell its a bit much. I agree 2" wouldn't do much but how about +4", dropping in caliber a bracket or two and no brake? That would seem to really move the needle.

Its really only an issue with the 300PRC and the directional break, even then the directional isn't very swept back so its not crushing me. The 6.5 spiral is a touch much as well. I haven't shot .270 with no brake in a while to compare but that one recoils a little more than I like. LOL, sounding like a cry baby here.

Maybe I am trying to emotionally justify a 26"+ 22/6 - Cred/ARC build or something.

Wrench

WKR
Get a 90* brake if you're worried about blast. You mentioned a creed. If that's too much gun, you may want to weight it up or go through a rifle fundamentals class. Long ass barrels are for speed freaks and geese.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used the Whit Machine SME while waiting for my cans. They are worth it me as I am more blast sensitive. The SME makes it tolerable with foam plugs instead of the double ear pro I need with a break. I have 2 Whit machine in 5/8x24. 30 cal for sale on the forum.

I am willing to ship one to you to try it for 2weeks. You just cover the cost of shipping both ways. It is $11.00 USPS each way to ship CONUS. PM me if interested.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
I’ve used the Whit Machine SME while waiting for my cans. They are worth it me as I am more blast sensitive. The SME makes it tolerable with foam plugs instead of the double ear pro I need with a break. I have 2 Whit machine in 5/8x24. 30 cal for sale on the forum.

I am willing to ship one to you to try it for 2weeks. You just cover the cost of shipping both ways. It is $11.00 USPS each way to ship CONUS. PM me if interested.
Thank you for that offer. I'll definitely consider it. Unfortunately none of my rifles are threaded in that pitch.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
Get a 90* brake if you're worried about blast. You mentioned a creed. If that's too much gun, you may want to weight it up or go through a rifle fundamentals class. Long ass barrels are for speed freaks and geese.

How would fundamentals or weight help with the blast/concussion?

TaperPin

WKR
Back when I was most comfortable with two identical hunting rifles - primary and backup - both were 7 mags with 24” barrels. To see if there was much of a difference in a 24” vs 22” barrel, one was cut down, and at the range I could definitely tell the shorter one was louder. After that I had a 26” barrel installed. I still feel a 26” barrel is ideal - maybe those hunting brush need shorter barrels, or at least think they do. Western kids grow up working fly rods through brush, so something as short as a 26” barrel seems effortless.

Any brake is so much louder I’m actually surprised they are legal. Even with ear plugs it’s on the verge of hearing damage. At least in our family, muzzle brakes have caused more shooting problems than the reduction in recoil has helped.

My experience in a sample of 1 is that a shorter barrel will have more blast/concussion.
My 264 win mag, shooting 147 eld m, 4 port beast brake on the end of a 26" proof has less blast/concussion and definitely less noise when fired without ear pro vs my 22" 6.5 prc shooting 156 vld with a 4 port brake but not sure what it is.
Maybe it's the brake design? But I know my ears definitely noticed a significant difference having to kill animals with both rifles at short distances without ear pro.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk