Barrel Vice Recommendation

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm going to give the Wallycooper Gunsmith Supplies vice on Ebay a try. It looks well made, and significantly cheaper than the SAC Bravo. He also has a Tikka specific external action wrench.

Last edited:

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to give the Wallycooper Gunsmith Supplies vice on Ebay a try. It looks well made, and significantly cheaper than the SPC Bravo. He also has a Tikka specific external action wrench.
I have one of those, and I use it to take off factory barrels.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm going to give the Wallycooper Gunsmith Supplies vice on Ebay a try. It looks well made, and significantly cheaper than the SPC Bravo. He also has a Tikka specific external action wrench.
I recently bought a SAC Bravo (they had a sale a few months back) and before I did that one I looked into some and a couple differentiating points were noted on some boards. The SAC has tapered bushing as most barrels tend to taper, they even have one that is contoured to fit a tikka sporter well. The SAC has nubs on the bushings so they don't spin in the vice and keeps them centered for clamping forces. No idea how many barrels you plan to do but the SAC is a really nice product imho after using it (esp that tikka specific bushing, I can take a photo if you want but its contoured nicely), also if only doing one barrel I imagine the resale value on the known SAC with a good bushing is gonna be better. Just a thought.

I think the wally action wrench would be fine though.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I recently bought a SAC Bravo (they had a sale a few months back) and before I did that one I looked into some and a couple differentiating points were noted on some boards. The SAC has tapered bushing as most barrels tend to taper, they even have one that is contoured to fit a tikka sporter well. The SAC has nubs on the bushings so they don't spin in the vice and keeps them centered for clamping forces. No idea how many barrels you plan to do but the SAC is a really nice product imho after using it (esp that tikka specific bushing, I can take a photo if you want but its contoured nicely), also if only doing one barrel I imagine the resale value on the known SAC with a good bushing is gonna be better. Just a thought.

I think the wally action wrench would be fine though.
If only doing one barrel, I would just pay someone. But I'm unlikely to use it more than twice a year, and some years not at all.

Out of curiosity, what is the OD of the SAC bushings?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If only doing one barrel, I would just pay someone. But I'm unlikely to use it more than twice a year, and some years not at all.

Out of curiosity, what is the OD of the SAC bushings?
Looks like ~ 1.44" not counting the alignment tabs.

Here's a photo showing how well the tikka one fits the taper of the tikka factory sporter barrel.
jgFoKsFl.jpg

lintond

WKR
I got a PMA vise that allows you to rotate for different barrel sizes. Worked well on my recent barrel swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk