Barrel Vice Recommendation

atmat

WKR
Does anyone have any recommendations for a functional yet affordable barrel vise? I’m replacing a factory Tikka barrel with a prefit PBB.

Local gunsmiths are quoting me >$200 for the job, so it has me thinking I should just look into buying the tools myself. Even if I don’t anticipate using them often, I’d breakeven in a couple of barrel replacements.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of an affordable smith in Dallas, TX, area, I’d appreciate the recommendation. Or if you’re in the area and are open to letting me use yours, I’d happily pay in beer or something similar!

Last edited:

Tullis94

WKR
Ebay has some that are "Seconds" I have one and it works really well. I don't know why it is a second but it looks good and functions perfectly. Search "barrel vise with 5 Inserts" and it should come up.

Gorp2007

WKR
Assume you mean barrel 'vise'?
No, he's talking about the affliction of buying a barrel vise, and then compulsively refreshing the classified ads looking for cheap take-off barrels that you don't actually need but think would make a great addition to the stable.

OP, I've got a barrel vise and all the fixin's but I'm down 35 near San Antonio.

If you'd rather just invest yourself, I've got the Viper barrel vise and use a Wheeler for an external action wrench and the Bugholes for the internal. External is for taking the factory barrel off the first time, internal is for everything after that. You'll also want a torque wrench.

wnelson14

WKR
If you have no care or worried about the current barrel just use a regular vise. And get an action wrench. Once you need to install the pre-fit, put the action in the action wrench, action wrench clamped in regular vise and put your new barrel on.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
No, he's talking about the affliction of buying a barrel vise, and then compulsively refreshing the classified ads looking for cheap take-off barrels that you don't actually need but think would make a great addition to the stable.

OP, I've got a barrel vise and all the fixin's but I'm down 35 near San Antonio.

If you'd rather just invest yourself, I've got the Viper barrel vise and use a Wheeler for an external action wrench and the Bugholes for the internal. External is for taking the factory barrel off the first time, internal is for everything after that. You'll also want a torque wrench.
I’ve got family in SA, so maybe I’ll hit you up one day if I’m down in that direction when the new barrel arrives.

I’ll look into the Viper, thanks!

The Wheeler barrel vise and action wrench have worked well for me on 3 actions. I've used both resin and powdered sugar on the wood bushings and the powdered sugar worked better (to grip the barrel) so you can save some money on that resin. Also, I've read that aluminum works just as well.

Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
Don't know if it'll work for your situation, but PBB will Remove and replace your barrel for an extra $90.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
Don't know if it'll work for your situation, but PBB will Remove and replace your barrel for an extra $90.
Thanks! That would still be >$100 when you factor shipping, which is why I was more interested in just buying the equipment. But definitely an option!

Axlrod

WKR
Thanks! That would still be >$100 when you factor shipping, which is why I was more interested in just buying the equipment. But definitely an option!
No problem. I am a do it myself guy, but I have done a couple barrel take offs that I would have paid the fee gladly!

rayporter

WKR
i have seen gunsmiths use wood blocks clamped in a vise to remove very stubborn barrels. this is so they dont mar the barrel. sometimes a little rosin is helpful.
drill a hole in a wood block to match the barrel and then split the block.

Unckebob

WKR
Does anyone have any recommendations for a functional yet affordable barrel vise? I’m replacing a factory Tikka barrel with a prefit PBB.

Local gunsmiths are quoting me >$200 for the job, so it has me thinking I should just look into buying the tools myself. Even if I don’t anticipate using them often, I’d breakeven in a couple of barrel replacements.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of an affordable smith in Dallas, TX, area, I’d appreciate the recommendation. Or if you’re in the area and are open to letting me use yours, I’d happily pay in beer or something similar!

I don't know if they are affordable, but Ray's Sporting Goods has a fully gunsmith shop upstairs.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
I don't know if they are affordable, but Ray's Sporting Goods has a fully gunsmith shop upstairs.
I honestly haven’t price checked Ray’s (local Dallas place for anyone else reading) because the reviews have been so hit and miss.

Unckebob

WKR
I honestly haven’t price checked Ray’s (local Dallas place for anyone else reading) because the reviews have been so hit and miss.

They ought to be able to do a Tikka barrel swap no problem as long as they have the right action wrench. Rear Entry is the only way to go on action wrenches.

Personally, I would get the Viper vice (I have one), the correct action wrench (go inside the action if one is available) and a barrel nut wrench. Then, you can do what you want to your rifle.

Last edited: