Barrett Fieldcraft or Christensen Arms Mesa

Go with the T3x. Lighter, and the extra money you save can go into optics or a stock upgrade.

Appreciate the feedback!

My current holdup with the T3x is the stock just feels flimsy and brittle. I really like the feel of the Mesa but if it can't shoot then no point in buying it. Any stock recommendations for the T3x that are light weight and not $800? I've got a hard budget of 2k for the gun and optics. Currently set on buying one of the scopes on sale from Cameraland so that leaves around 1200 for the gun.

I threw a B&C stock on one that I set up for my daughter and it’s way nicer than the factory stock. I bought it second hand, so I got a pretty decent deal on it, but they’re still under $300 new. I’ve also heard some good reviews on the MPI stocks if you’re looking for something UL wt., but I don’t have any personal experience with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renagde

WKR
Appreciate the feedback!

My current holdup with the T3x is the stock just feels flimsy and brittle. I really like the feel of the Mesa but if it can't shoot then no point in buying it. Any stock recommendations for the T3x that are light weight and not $800? I've got a hard budget of 2k for the gun and optics. Currently set on buying one of the scopes on sale from Cameraland so that leaves around 1200 for the gun.
T3x can be had easily for around $800, sometimes much less. That leaves you with around $400. If you can find a T3x for around $600, I would put on the Mesa Precision Altitude or any of the AG composite stocks, they run around $600.

Lawnboi

WKR
Appreciate the feedback!

I’d take the tikka T3x stock over the CA Mesa stock. The CA stock is junk too. Just my opinion. Restocking a CA is a waste of money IMO as well. Did that now the stock is going on a custom build.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My current holdup with the T3x is the stock just feels flimsy and brittle.

Curious, what seems flimsy and brittle, as they are anything but.

I’ve had many people saybthe same about Tikka stocks, yet in each case they had never used one and were just going by what others had said. From a design and rigidity standpoint they are one of the best “normal” factory stocks. The only one that tops them is the Sauer 100 stock design.

I have used many CA’s and there is much lacking in design and function in my experience.

Brittle?

that’s a strange adjective for a stock that’s known to survive yard sales off cliffs and still hold zero.

Curious, what seems flimsy and brittle, as they are anything but.

I’ve had many people saybthe same about Tikka stocks, yet in each case they had never used one and were just going by what others had said. From a design and rigidity standpoint they are one of the best “normal” factory stocks. The only one that tops them is the Sauer 100 stock design.

I have used many CA’s and there is much lacking in design and function in my experience.

Holding the CA and Tikka back to back those were the adjectives that coming to mind. I didn't really say much until a friend who was with me said nearly the same words. The gentleman behind the counter sighed and said something to the extent of "we constantly hear that and struggle to sell the Tikka despite them being very accurate guns at a great price point." Something certainly feels off to me unlike the CA which is confidence inspiring for whatever that's worth.

My friend on the spot bought a Mesa but we have not been out to shoot it yet so first hand experience with accuracy is yet to be determined.

If you don't mind sharing, what do you find lacking in design and function of the CA? I know the individuals on here have more experience than me and I'd love to be able to fully utilize the knowledge base here before I make a decision. I really do appreciate the feedback everyone!

I’m not formidilosus, but I did stay at a holiday inn.

tikka superlite is lighter by basically a pound.

a tikka locks the bolt on safe.

tikka has a much faster lock time

tikka has integrated scope rail.

Incredibly good factory tolerance and QC. They are the only off the shelf hunting rifle that is affordable that custom barrel makers can make shouldered prefits

70degree bolt throw

Less drop in comb.

tikka won’t have problem with small rifle primers.

the stainless on tikka rifles is better then the 416 we are getting from mills here in the us.

Oh and it’s cheaper.

Ez pass on the christenson Mesa

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If you don't mind sharing, what do you find lacking in design and function of the CA?

Everything Ndbowhunter wrote, plus-

CA’s that I’ve seen have been very spotty in precision and QC. Multiple CA stocks had contact with the barrel and inlet issues.
And the biggest one for me- CA’s are one of the roughest, “grabiest” actions on the market. Not talking about just causally sliding the bolt back and forth, I’m talking about keeping the rifle in position, eye in the scope, and running the bolt quickly and forcefully to chamber another round. They are rough and bind very easily.

One the other hand, Tikka’s are one of the straightest, most reliable actions you can buy.
There is no R700 based trigger that matches the reliability in ice/dust of the T3. The stock shape and vertical grip module is better for recoil control. Barrels are generally excellent. The single stack, single feed magazine is extremely reliable and contributes to the T3’s exceptionally smooth action in use.