BC gnu guy.

Redthies

FNG
Hi from the West Kootenays in BC. I live and hunt along the border north of Spokane WA/CDA ID. I have whitetail, turkeys and quail in my yard daily, and moose, elk and mule deer 2 mins up my road. And a lake full of rainbow trout, bass and Kokanee 2 minutes to the boat launch. Life is good!

We hunt birds a ton as well with two Weimaraners. Ruffed, Dusky, Chukar etc are all less than a 10 minute drive.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new BC member.

Eddie

OP
Redthies

Redthies

FNG
Nice! A Blazing Saddles reference right off the bat! I just watched that again a couple of weeks ago! The Sheriff is near! How that is still on TV in this messed up day is a mystery, yet very welcome…

@Redthies good to have you man, welcome from Alberta! From the sounds of it, food security won't be an issue with that amount of wildlife around if SHTF!

I have a tonne of stuff walk around my property as well, it's really cool to be around that much wildlife. Sucks when you can't put it in the freezer quite yet ;)

OP
Redthies

Redthies

FNG
Where about s in Alberta are you? I’ve hunted the SW corner before from Milk River west. I’d love to get an antelope tag, but I hear they are tough to come by.

Where about s in Alberta are you? I’ve hunted the SW corner before from Milk River west. I’d love to get an antelope tag, but I hear they are tough to come by.
214 Olds area. My dad used to go for antelope up by Hanna all the time. No harm in putting in a draw!

Willyb43

FNG
I just signed up, from the east koots. I also hunt a lot of birds over my griffon. We back into some phenomenal ruffed grouse woods, and I hunt the okanagan and Alberta quite a bit for chukar, quail, huns and pheasant.

Good to see some locals here

OP
Redthies

Redthies

FNG
Nice country around there. I’ve bird hunted just east of you. How old is your Griff?

Willyb43

FNG
Nice country around there. I’ve bird hunted just east of you. How old is your Griff?
He’s got 5 seasons behind him now.
I’ve never run into chukar in the west kootenays, where abouts are you on the west side?

OP
Redthies

Redthies

FNG
I’m just east of Grand Forks. There are chukar here in Gilpin, and on Anarchist above Osoyoos.

Willyb43

FNG
I’m just east of Grand Forks. There are chukar here in Gilpin, and on Anarchist above Osoyoos.
Beautiful spot you live in. When I drive west I usually overnight in Christina lake or grand forks, or if we are rolling through I usually stop at Gilpin to stretch my legs and air out the dog.

That does make more sense. I’ve heard chukar calling in Gilpin but never actually seen one, and I’ve hunted them around Anarchist. I was just running on the assumption that you were east of Paulson.

Might be a big ask, but I’d be happy to trade some spot info if you can steer me towards some quail in your area. I’ve come up dry on quail in the spots I hunt 2 years in a row, even though I see them everywhere when we aren’t hunting.

If we run into someone with a couple grey dogs in your area I’ll be sure to say hello.

Last edited: