BE Rampage Build - Durability Concerns?

RC_

FNG
I shoot 70 lbs @ 31" and am looking to build an all around arrow for elk and deer sized game. I'm looking to switch from my current arrow setup, which for a few seasons has been:

30" 250 spine 5mm FMJ
50 grain brass HIT
100 grain head
max stealth 3 fletch.
Total arrow weight ~535 grains w/ FOC estimated at 10.5% by archers advantage

I'm tired of having FMJ's mushroom on me and while I've considered trying VPA footers with lighter vanes, I don't like the idea of more components, plus there's the added cost of the footers. I'm tempted to try the BE Rampage but have heard stories and read about durability issues with Rampage shafts using HITs and people recommending using a footer. For those that use the Rampage or have in the past, do you find this to be the case? I'm open to trying the BE half-outs but would prefer to stick with brass HITs. If HITs don't work well with Rampage or durability without a collar is a concern, then I might rethink my planned build:

30" 250 Rampage
50 grain brass HIT
100 grain head
max stealth 3 fletch
Total arrow weight ~509 grains w/ FOC estimated at 12.1%

I like the idea of picking up a little FOC and a little speed and could always switch vanes to pick up a little more of each. I'd like to stay with a .204 shaft and the price point of the BE is attractive compared to say a RIP TKO. Really the durability that I'm wondering about before pulling the trigger on a dozen or two?

I shot Rampages for two seasons and have a basement full of broken arrows. That said, I was using the standard half out. They were very consistent arrows and spun very true, but I would break them on cold 3-D targets.

I switched to RIP TKOs last season (using ethics components) and have had really good luck with them. So far I've nailed the rebar inside a 3-D target a number of times, shot a fence post (that was fun digging it out), and shot a boulder. The boulder was the only incident where the failure was arrow related (snapped right behind the insert). Rebar and the fence post resulted in a true spinning arrow that's still in my quiver.

Yes, the Rampages are cheaper, but for me personally and with how often I shoot, I'd need an extra dozen of them just to ensure I had enough arrows when September rolls around. Plus in a .250 spine, you gain some GPI (reduced overall arrow weight) with the RIP TKO that you can then add to FOC.

BDRam16

WKR
I've been shooting Rampages with the half outs for a few seasons and I've only had one break and it was from a non-pass through that broke while a doe was running off with it hanging out. I've been very happy with them.

Zac

WKR
Your going to want to run a collar with those if you want durability. Great shafts, however they do like to break easy. If your not a collar guy, the RIP, or Axis would work just fine.

Holocene

WKR
If you are concerned about durability and don't want extra high-end components, then you might consider a standard .246 diameter shaft. Simple components. Super durable. Great for hunting and an all-around arrow.

I'm your exact specs (70#, 31" draw) and shot those Rampages 4 years ago and have zero left. Lots of shatters against rebar, etc.

Since, I've switched back to Gold Tip Hunter Pros and I have had zero break with lots of standard target shooting -- and plenty of "oh shit I forgot to dial back my sight" moments.

FOC is not a big issue. Shoot 9-12% and you are golden. Shoot what groups best within that range and gives you the speed you like. The FOC ship needs to sink.

Now that I've talked down FOC, it's ironic that I really dig this new arrow that showed up online but not in stores -- it's called the Gold Tip FORCE FOC. It's a .246 arrow offered in 250 spine at a GPI (that's comparable to the Black Eagle Rampage so your overall arrow weight would be similar) and lighter than the Gold Tip Hunter XT 250. It's marketed toward the FOC dorks, but I'm very interested in the shaft as someone who's a long draw shooter but still wants a lightweight, standard-diameter shaft in 250 that's not Black Eagle.

If you are committed to .204, Gold Tip also has the Airstrike and Black Label Quantum available and reports are good on durability. Haven't shot them myself yet.

My shooting buddy raves about those RIP TKOs so that could be worth a look like another posted said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yes......without a collar, I would have durability concerns with the Rampage shafts. I'm not a fan of collars, but if you're stuck on Rampage I would use them. Otherwise I'd look at the RIP TKO's, Sirius Apollo, or good old Axis shafts. I have all three with HIT inserts and they're all more durable than the Rampage are.

OP
R

RC_

FNG
Thanks for the replies so far. Looks like I might go with RIP TKOs. Cost isn't a huge factor, I just don't like spending money if there's an equal quality product for less, but sounds like the TKO's are worth it. As far as collars, I'm not totally opposed, I've just always tried to keep things simple and viewed them as an additional complication, but maybe a case of don't knock it until you try it.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a 300 spine rampage.. out of a 73 lb bow.. thats 6 inches up the shaft. Bounced off a big hogs leg. I found bone chips where it broke the leg.. killed him after I found him layed up in a thicket . Needless to say I no longer shoot rampages. Thats the first time ive ever had an arrow blow up like that . Most still make it through.Screenshot_20220114-072222_Gallery.jpg

I broke most of my rampages first season I had them. Some of it was my fault, but I felt they broke way easier then they should have. They were probably the most accurate/consistent bunch of arrows I had shot the the time though.

Trial153

WKR
I have used the hell out them. 350 and 300 spine …brass hits and flanged footers. They are plenty durable.

Zac

WKR
Thanks for the replies so far. Looks like I might go with RIP TKOs. Cost isn't a huge factor, I just don't like spending money if there's an equal quality product for less, but sounds like the TKO's are worth it. As far as collars, I'm not totally opposed, I've just always tried to keep things simple and viewed them as an additional complication, but maybe a case of don't knock it until you try it.
Collars do suck. Rips are also extremely hard to find. The Axis IMO is a better shaft as far as consistency goes, however probably not by a noticeable amount. I would go with whatever weight you prefer most. Dan from Elk Shape shoots the RIP with a Gold Tip Airstrike half out and does just fine without a collar.

I shot Rampages for two seasons and have a basement full of broken arrows. That said, I was using the standard half out. They were very consistent arrows and spun very true, but I would break them on cold 3-D targets.
50 spine, you gain some GPI (reduced overall arrow weight) with the RIP TKO that you can then add to FOC.

So question for you on this.... did your arrows die because they snapped at the insert/point interference because the insert didn't bond and the arrow point "pushed" into the shaft and broke it?? I'm just now trying BE arrows and i busted my first one the other day after a hard impact. After close inspection, I noticed there was ZERO bond between the HIT insert and the arrow shaft. Last night i took my other non-broken shaft and put a field point in it, locked the field point into my bench vise and literally pulled the HIT insert out. Had the same issue on my wife's BE arrows. I'm switching my bonding agent to something else to see if this fixes the problem

jpmulk

WKR
Ive used the rampages for two seasons so far. I havent had any issues with them. Ive shot two elk with them and the arrow survived fine both times. I used to shoot GT XTs and i dont feel like ive noticed any difference in durability.

Several of these comments about shooting rocks and brick walls and rebar with arrows have surprised me. I guess ive never been under the impression that any arrow is meant to or will consistently survive direct hits to that solid of a surface. I guess I feel like those expectations are a bit high?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I guess ive never been under the impression that any arrow is meant to or will consistently survive direct hits to that solid of a surface. I guess I feel like those expectations are a bit high?
Some arrows just hold up better than others. It's hard to keep track of all the reasons why an arrow broke, but after a period of time it's easy to tell whether they're durable enough. I shot Trophy Ridge Crush arrows for 8 years without a single problem with them. Then I broke 18 GT Kinetic XT 200's in three years. I broke several BE Rampage 250's over the course of nine months. So for me, the durability of those TR Crush shafts has become my Gold standard to which everything else gets compared to. I shoot a lot of squirrels, rabbits, and grouse, and normally there are a lot of rocks, gravel, dirt, and trees that the arrows hit after passing through. But also, surviving rebar in a 3D target shouldn't be an issue for an arrow IMO. Mushroomed field points.....yes, broken arrows........no.

wesfromky

WKR
I seem to break the half outs on the rampages fairly regularly with 3D/targets, but use IW inserts and collars with IW heads for hunting, and they have preformed really well.

TX_Diver

WKR
I went from rampages with the half outs to rampages with HITs and an IW collar, to axis with a HIT and IW collar over the last 4 years. Used the rampages for 3 years before that and while great I would end up culling 50% or so by the time the season rolled around. They would also break if I missed the target. My axis have been great for 2 seasons now although they are obviously heavier. I still get 262 fps though with like 520-30 grains

I guess I’m an out layer here. I have had no issues with the Rampage and durability. I do use the focos system so maybe that the difference but no concerns.