BE Rampage Build - Durability Concerns?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Simple, higher grains per inch equal thinker walls and more durable!
Not necessarily. I've tested some lower gpi arrows with thinner walls that have been more durable than some higher gpi arrows with thicker walls. IMO the type of arrow shaft construction plays a big role in durability as well.

Zac

WKR
Not necessarily. I've tested some lower gpi arrows with thinner walls that have been more durable than some higher gpi arrows with thicker walls. IMO the type of arrow shaft construction plays a big role in durability as well.
Which shafts did you see that with?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've said it before, some of the least durable .204" arrows I've used are the GT Kinetic XT 200's. They come in at 11.6gpi. My Axis 300's are 10.7gpi, and TR Crush 300's are 11gpi and are both more durable. Newer additions that are also showing more durable so far are RIP TKO 250's at 9gpi, and Sirius Apollo 250's at 10.68gpi. Also, IME the Rampages were less durable than the Kinetics, but the Rampages are also lighter weight.

Reactions: Zac
Thanks for the replies so far. Looks like I might go with RIP TKOs. Cost isn't a huge factor, I just don't like spending money if there's an equal quality product for less, but sounds like the TKO's are worth it. As far as collars, I'm not totally opposed, I've just always tried to keep things simple and viewed them as an additional complication, but maybe a case of don't knock it until you try it.
another option is using cool melt and ordering some extra half outs and swap them out when you get one to wobble... that's what i have done on my recurve arrows, and it's worked fine. i did go to the spartan for my compound, they suit my needs better and don't plan on changing them (either of them)

BE arrows in general aren't as tough as some, i have shot axis a bunch, and they are a very tough shaft, but the spine consistency of BE makes me like them better than anything else out there.... pretty much gets rid of nock tuning (an especially big deal with the recurves)

for general use in the woods, the durability isn't an issue, for shooting all year, probably going to toast a couple extra arrows, i'm ok with that. the only ones i have broke were shooting them with other arrows (my fault)

another option is going to the renagade, it's a little cheaper/heavier/tougher, but still has excellent spine consistency. i'm personally not bothered by the rampage, and would shoot them out of my compound if it wasn't for the spartan.

not sure if i'm just lucky or the consistency plays a roll, but my current arrow build with spartans are the most forgiving arrow i have ever shot from a compound... the day i was getting them dialed in, i was shooting bare shafts at 50yds, and they were acting like they were fletched.... in the past, at least for me, when i get to 40yds shooting bare shafts, i have to really pay attention to grip and form, and still have to shoot a few arrows to see what's really going on...... could also be because i was toying with being light on spine (going from a front loaded 300 spine to a 250 rampage, then a 250 spartan) regardless, i like it, and will keep shooting BE.... if i were to make a list of pros and cons of the axis vs the rampage/spartan, there is only one thing the axis has going for it over BE, and if general shooting all year costs me 3 extra arrows, i'm ok with that, because there are a lot of things that are better on the BE's for me.

they don't tolerate hitting each other in the target, but knowing that, it's not a huge problem. i just ordered my wife a dozen rampages i'm going to build her this week... almost went with the x-impact for her, but i didn't want to mess with 4mm shafts unless we were going to shoot the iron will or valkyrie system, and i have quite a few 200gr blood eagles already for her to use this year

I shot Rampages for two seasons and have a basement full of broken arrows. That said, I was using the standard half out. They were very consistent arrows and spun very true, but I would break them on cold 3-D targets.

I switched to RIP TKOs last season (using ethics components) and have had really good luck with them. So far I've nailed the rebar inside a 3-D target a number of times, shot a fence post (that was fun digging it out), and shot a boulder. The boulder was the only incident where the failure was arrow related (snapped right behind the insert). Rebar and the fence post resulted in a true spinning arrow that's still in my quiver.

Yes, the Rampages are cheaper, but for me personally and with how often I shoot, I'd need an extra dozen of them just to ensure I had enough arrows when September rolls around. Plus in a .250 spine, you gain some GPI (reduced overall arrow weight) with the RIP TKO that you can then add to FOC.
which inserts are you using with the RIP TKO's?

which inserts are you using with the RIP TKO's?

90 grains of Ethics. Steel outserts, AL insert. Really happy with the results.

Might go AL outsert and steel insert next year, and just keep a set of outserts at the ready to be swapped out in case they bend (essentially using the outsert as a "crumble zone").