Bear Bait

Hofhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some more resources on bait in Northern Idaho. Been baiting for number of years but just looking for some other things to mix in. Wisconsin has all the goods for bait but it’s an arm and leg to get it here. Anyone be willing to share some resources that be great.
I already do the bread and grease thing and most places around here if they are willing to give up pastry for bait have their people already.
Thanks in advance.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Go into WA and try to find a bakery outlet store, maybe Spokane? They usually have a lot of stuff on the cheap.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Guess I should have thrown in that I’ve done dog food as well but haven’t tried popcorn. Go to local movie theater best way to get large amounts?
Buy popcorn kernels in bulk and cook it in a giant pot in the garage/yard on a propane burner. Popcorn is stupid cheap. Toss in some raspberry Jell-O packets and you've got some great bear bait

would that be the sweet or wet cob that feed stores sell?
I prefer the cheapest lol. I don't know much about horse feed and just purchase the cheapest they have with molasses. Seems like the exact type varies year to year depending on what's available. I still use other foods as well but horse feed has been productive.

Thegman

WKR
The molasses feed seems to work well, but I've had the best success with cheap dog food with used fryer oil and white sugar stirred in. The sugar seemed like it upped the attractiveness over just dog food and oil. Kind of like a barrel of dog food doughnuts.

JJCascade

FNG
The molasses feed seems to work well, but I've had the best success with cheap dog food with used fryer oil and white sugar stirred in. The sugar seemed like it upped the attractiveness over just dog food and oil. Kind of like a barrel of dog food doughnuts.
we used to do a thanksgiving dinner at deer camp every year when there was a big group and one year someone fried the turkey then dumped the oil nearby, the next day a guy in another camp down the way saw and shot a cougar which must have been coming in for the oil and carcass.

Good to know! Is that for both blacks and browns or just blacks? I've used the dog food and oil quite a bit but never tried the sugar. I try focusing on browns but still get quite a few blacks coming in.

Thegman

WKR
Good to know! Is that for both blacks and browns or just blacks? I've used the dog food and oil quite a bit but never tried the sugar. I try focusing on browns but still get quite a few blacks coming in.
Seems to work well for both. We had more grizzlies on the bait this year than black bears. On week we had pictures of six different grizzlies coming in. They don't generally seem to hang around for a long time though, as a rule.

I've used corn and raspberry syrup with good results later in the season. It worked better than everything else I put out that season. Popcorn is a good cheap choice. I can't use dog food in Wisconsin so I don't know how that would work.

Spread jello packs out around the bait pile as well. That powder really smells and it will get on the bears feet and tracked further away as well.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
Guess I should have thrown in that I’ve done dog food as well but haven’t tried popcorn. Go to local movie theater best way to get large amounts?
I used to go to the theater in Moscow. Talked to the manager and they started putting the popcorn in a separate bag for me everyday. Also there is a guy in Post Falls that sells frosting, powder, full baits etc.

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
a lot of guys in S. Idaho use molasses.

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some more resources on bait in Northern Idaho. Been baiting for number of years but just looking for some other things to mix in. Wisconsin has all the goods for bait but it’s an arm and leg to get it here. Anyone be willing to share some resources that be great.
I already do the bread and grease thing and most places around here if they are willing to give up pastry for bait have their people already.
Thanks in advance.
Where are you located in north Idaho?