Bear county and protection...

I know this has been beaten to death, but I think I've decided to buy a holster and carry my S&W 44 precision hunting pistol with me to a fly in Alaska DIY hunt. I think we are going to be fine on weight, and I just like the idea of lead more than spray. There I said it. Need to take my red dot off it and practice a little with iron sights. PERSONALLY, I'll be more comfortable with it than without it. That's gotta be worth something, right?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if your more comfortable go for it; insure you get some suitable ammo (heavy, hardcast bullets w/ some zip!), but don't leave the bear spray at home either

OP
P
if your more comfortable go for it; insure you get some suitable ammo (heavy, hardcast bullets w/ some zip!), but don't leave the bear spray at home either
There will be two of us. He'll have spray. I'm not sure I see the purpose in having both on the same person. my instinct will be to have one thing and you make it count as opposed to trying to make a decision a very stressful moment.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hunt , work and recreate frequently in grizzly country and personally would never go into grizzly country without bear spray; I'll sometimes carry a firearm in addition to the bear spray, but never replace it with one

to each there own

(ps <--- Montana Game Warden for 24 years)

OP
P
I hunt , work and recreate frequently in grizzly country and personally would never go into grizzly country without bear spray; I'll sometimes carry a firearm in addition to the bear spray, but never replace it with one

to each there own

(ps <--- Montana Game Warden for 24 years)

10-4. I guess I'm just missing something. When you carry both, if the need to use one arose, which would you go for first? Seems like it would be better to carry two of that option.... Seems like. I guess I could see handgun being a better option for problem bear you've got your eyes on and you're prepared to fire if necessary. Hand to paw combat from surprise bear, hitting spray might be safer and perhaps more effective.

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you'll be fine. I was recently told that Alaska F&G are now outfitted with 10mm as standard. Not sure how true that is. None the less, 10mm is what I carry

SWOHTR

WKR
Good points. Maybe if you get too close with the bear, you could shove the spray in it’s mouth and let it enjoy a nice peppery snack.

Seen what it does to a dog that bit the can...probably similar effect on a bear?

ebubedike

FNG
That's a little light and despite the large diameter, they will penetrate about like a 225-250gr .44. Which might and might not work. I'd suggest a bullet of at least 400gr, preferably 440gr. They don't have to be at maximum velocity. In this context, heavier bullet weights are vastly more important than velocity.

That said, I have to second the .480 suggestion. There's not much a 425gr at 1200fps can't handle and it will be out of a lighter, handier sixgun. In truth, most would be better served with a properly loaded .44Mag or .45Colt.

OP
P
That's a little light and despite the large diameter, they will penetrate about like a 225-250gr .44. Which might and might not work. I'd suggest a bullet of at least 400gr, preferably 440gr. They don't have to be at maximum velocity. In this context, heavier bullet weights are vastly more important than velocity.

That said, I have to second the .480 suggestion. There's not much a 425gr at 1200fps can't handle and it will be out of a lighter, handier sixgun. In truth, most would be better served with a properly loaded .44Mag or .45Colt.

You lost me. 400 plus grain , but "in truth, better served with .44"...???

AK law requires you to salvage the skull and hide of bears killed in a Defense of Life or Property situation, and surrender them to the state...this may mean an extra flight, or an extension of your trip...also you may not kill a game animal in order to protect meat from another game animal...just a couple things to think about when choosing lethal vs. non-lethal bear protection...

wyosam

WKR
The scenario that make me always carry spray, is the possibility of having to deal with a bear already on a partner. Getting bear sprayed sucks, but so does getting shot. I would without hesitation deploy spray on a friend in that situation, but I think I’d pause and wait for the right opportunity with lead. If I’m getting mauled, I’m gonna vote for intervening ASAFP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guide in Alaska, have for 20 years. I’ve lived in and out of AK since 1959. In that time, 2 DLP shootings.
In the last 18 years, since we’ve had good spray I’ve sprayed three, all the rest of our guides added together equals 16 successful applications, no failures. I always carry a heavy hand gun as well. Personally I’d carry both.

Attachments

• 5F8BDAE0-48FA-497E-BBD4-1411079A60AB.jpeg
    5F8BDAE0-48FA-497E-BBD4-1411079A60AB.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 116
  • A020EC07-43BE-4720-8107-F9B13900E6D7.jpeg
    A020EC07-43BE-4720-8107-F9B13900E6D7.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 115
OP
P
AK law requires you to salvage the skull and hide of bears killed in a Defense of Life or Property situation, and surrender them to the state...this may mean an extra flight, or an extension of your trip...also you may not kill a game animal in order to protect meat from another game animal...just a couple things to think about when choosing lethal vs. non-lethal bear protection...
Understood. Gimme a little credit. ;-)

OP
P
Wait, so if a carribou is eating my moose guts and I have a bou tag, I can't shoot the carribou? What about eagles? ;-)

Seriously, you reminded folks of good points. Thanks

OP
P
The scenario that make me always carry spray, is the possibility of having to deal with a bear already on a partner. Getting bear sprayed sucks, but so does getting shot. I would without hesitation deploy spray on a friend in that situation, but I think I’d pause and wait for the right opportunity with lead. If I’m getting mauled, I’m gonna vote for intervening ASAFP.

Yeah. Roger that. Bear on my partner... Having spray in my hand is way more appealing. Or even spray and handgun. Good point, and something I've thought before but had kinda forgotten.

Me and just me, and one device...I just think gun. But I agree. I'd sure as **** hate to have to put a bullet just the bear if it was on my partner.

Yeah.... This is all unlikely, but you're talking to a guy who overplans and over thinks everything. Hell, just yesterday I fished only 30nm off hill, but it was a boat not familiar to me or the guy driving it. I insisted on 400# of ice just in case, and I brought short list of tools, sat phone and epirb. Fortunately, the only thing we had to use were the tools thanks to a bad connection from Port mtr at switch.

Last edited:
OP
P
I guide in Alaska, have for 20 years. I’ve lived in and out of AK since 1959. In that time, 2 DLP shootings.
In the last 18 years, since we’ve had good spray I’ve sprayed three, all the rest of our guides added together equals 16 successful applications, no failures. I always carry a heavy hand gun as well. Personally I’d carry both.

10-4, and thanks. I understand the headache and loss of animal associated with firearm. In MY MIND, I'm using spray just like a gun. "We have a problem" ... Not likely, but possible, and help is a long long time away.

I want threat eliminated in that scenario. Pictures, antlers, etc no longer matter. Kinda feel like the headache of lethal means and associated cost of flight if need be, would be worth it.

Having both makes the best sense though, I guess. I'd just hate to miss a crucial moment thinking about what's what and what to grab.

Like I said initially, I haven't weighed my 44, but I think it's gonna go with us.

Need to find a good way to carry. It's pretty long gun.

10-4, and thanks. I understand the headache and loss of animal associated with firearm. In MY MIND, I'm using spray just like a gun. "We have a problem" ... Not likely, but possible, and help is a long long time away.

I want threat eliminated in that scenario. Pictures, antlers, etc no longer matter. Kinda feel like the headache of lethal means and associated cost of flight if need be, would be worth it.

Having both makes the best sense though, I guess. I'd just hate to miss a crucial moment thinking about what's what and what to grab.

Like I said initially, I haven't weighed my 44, but I think it's gonna go with us.

Need to find a good way to carry. It's pretty long gun.

try one of the chest holster options. If you look at the photos I have bear spray in my left hand, revolver in my right. I learned how to use multiple techniques while in the police academy, it’s up to the bear, in a manner of speaking, what happens.
One of the training drills I’ve done with all our guides is the bear has a client. We set it up with a mannequin and a fifty gallon drum, side ways on wheels. Everyone pretty much says the same thing I can’t shoot, I might hit her. What about shooting the bear right at the base of the tail, bust his pelvis, break him down, probably get him of your partner, then maybe shoot him in the head.
Simple fact: body can’t go where the brain has never been.
Enjoy your hunt, very few people have trouble with bears.

On a recent thread here regarding the 3 consecutive grizz attacks in MT that were likely the same bear, somebody made a good point. A "problem" bear that you spray may go on to maul another hunter. If the first hunters that got attacked had sprayed it with lead, it could have prevented the 2 following attacks.

fatlander

WKR
On a recent thread here regarding the 3 consecutive grizz attacks in MT that were likely the same bear, somebody made a good point. A "problem" bear that you spray may go on to maul another hunter. If the first hunters that got attacked had sprayed it with lead, it could have prevented the 2 following attacks.

I thought it was reported that one of the groups attempted to shoot yogie, but ultimately the spray was what saved them?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

might want to recheck your facts concerning the incidents in Madison County