Bear Kodiak Takedown configuration advice/opinions

Am planning on ordering a Bear Kodiak Takedown. I'm aware there are a lot of other great, semi-custom take down recurves out there for similar $, but the Bear TD is one I've been enamored with since I was a kid in the late 70's-80's. Remember always grabbing the Bear catalogs (along with the Browning, Winchester, Remington, and Marlin) from our local Coast to Coast hardware store in rural NE and pouring over them at home. I currently shoot an old 1967 Bear Kodiak magnum #47 and a 1965 Bear Kodiak #52. I'm 5'6 with a 27 inch draw. This bow will be primarily for hunting.

What I'm struggling with, is what combination of riser and limb. I know I don't want the B with the #3 limbs as 64" is too long for me for hunting. I'm drawn to the "classic" which to me would be the B riser with #1 limbs for a 60 inch bow, but I've had several folks recommend the A riser with #3 limbs for the same 60" bow. Then again an A riser with #1 limbs for a shorter 56" bow also sounds pretty attractive for hunting. I doubt stacking or finger pinch would be an issue with any of these with my draw length (I don't notice any of either on my Kodiak magnum). Probably going with #50 limbs.....

Anyone have or shot any of these with any sage advice or recommendations? Thanks!

PHo

WKR
I have a 26in draw so take this for what it’s worth. I have an A riser with #1 limbs for a 56” bow and it is awesome. It’s just so easy to maneuver around in the woods with. I don’t think it stacks even past 29” it’s super smooth. That said, I also have a B riser with #1 limbs for the classic 60” length. A little heavier but super stable. Also very smooth. I don’t notice that big of a difference when hunting with it as far as ease of maneuvering. I’d say the biggest difference between the two is the weight. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll like them both.

Also, I’ll put my Bears up against any custom bow when it comes to performance 😉

OP
Runningwater
Thanks for the reply! What weight are you shooting? I also waffle between 50# and 55# limbs. I'm pretty sure I'll go 50# even though with my draw I'll be shooting a little under that. I'm not getting any younger so hopefully it will last me a while longer if its a tad lighter. They'll probably both feel heavy to me as both my old bear recurves are super light. The old Kodiak is incredibly light - the 60's vintage ones had slim grips.....

JD619er

WKR
I've always heard you get more performance out of your limbs with a shorter riser. Idk how true it is but it always made sense in my mind.

OP
Runningwater
With the shorter riser I think you do get more performance in that the limbs are getting "worked" more for a given draw length. I think that's why the limbs are marked say #50 for B riser and #52 for an A riser. On the other hand, I've heard with the shorter limbs produce slightly more speed for a given riser length. So that gets a bit confusing to me - so for a 60" bow, does an A riser with #3 limbs (#50 limbs - #52 with the A riser) shoot faster or slower than a B riser with #1 limbs (#50 with the B riser). The A riser will have a bit more poundage (52 vs 50) at a given draw, but the B with the shorter limbs is supposed to be a little quicker than a B with the #3 limbs......so is it a really pretty much a push between the 2 60" options? It begins to make my head spin! :)

PHo

WKR
At my draw I’m pulling 42 and 54 pounds, I have two sets of limbs. And as far as performance between different configurations I think it’s too close to tell. Just pick one.

PHo

WKR
I thought I’d also add this, the sight window of the B riser is bigger than the A riser. Depending on what you’re aiming/shooting style is you may want to take it into consideration.

OP
Runningwater
Think I'm going to go bubinga/phenolic B Riser, #1 50# limbs. Sounds like it will be hard to not be happy with any configuration. Thanks for the support!