bedding stockys carbon tikka stock

bnsafe

WKR
do yall bed your tikkas when you change to a stockys or not. I will be changing out next week and wanna get it right the first time.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks guys, next question. got the gun in today. the bolt is very smooth, except, after I pulled the trigger its ALOT harder to raise. This normal for a tikka? theres a significant difference. Bolt goes back fine either way, but raising it after trigger pull isnt good, at least the first time. After that rack it all ya want and its smooth as silk.

NSI

WKR
thanks guys, next question. got the gun in today. the bolt is very smooth, except, after I pulled the trigger its ALOT harder to raise. This normal for a tikka? theres a significant difference. Bolt goes back fine either way, but raising it after trigger pull isnt good, at least the first time. After that rack it all ya want and its smooth as silk.
When you raise the bolt the first time you are cocking the firing pin so the trigger will function. Because Tikkas have a 60 degree instead of a 90 degree bolt throw, the work of cocking must be done in less space, making it comparatively 30% harder than some other designs.

-J

Antares

WKR
The resistance is the firing pin spring being recocked. Add a light coat of grease to the cocking ramp on the bolt (the area indicated in red). That can help.

1697147833586.png

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks guys, I thought it had something to do with the firing pin but wanted to confirm. Im very happy with the rifle. Wish you could unload on safety but otherwise love it. The rings are here, scope will be here tomorrow, and stock next week so alls good.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The resistance is the firing pin spring being recocked. Add a light coat of grease to the cocking ramp on the bolt (the area indicated in red). That can help.

View attachment 613187
You can also pull it apart and hone the two pieces till they shine and you will decrease the friction. Adding a longer bolt handle will increase the leverage so that it is easier to cock.

Antares

WKR
You can also pull it apart and hone the two pieces till they shine and you will decrease the friction. Adding a longer bolt handle will increase the leverage so that it is easier to cock.

Exactly. I've hit them with 1000 grit sand paper and and then finished with a felt wheel on a Dremel and buffing compound. That was on a gun where the ramp got dry and started galling.

Antares

WKR
Big improvement?

-J

Fixed the problem. Didn't make it a lot lighter, but made it smooth and not gritty (again, it was galled up). I'd just grease the ramp and work it a bit. I think you'll get used to it.

Reactions: NSI

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Fixed the problem. Didn't make it a lot lighter, but made it smooth and not gritty (again, it was galled up). I'd just grease the ramp and work it a bit. I think you'll get used to it.
Polishing won’t help a lot with weight because that is mainly a function of the firing pin spring weight and angle of the cocking ramp, but it helps the feel and can avoid galling if it is not lubed.

Adding a longer bolt handle can make a substantial difference.

Antares

WKR
Polishing won’t help a lot with weight because that is mainly a function of the firing pin spring weight and angle of the cocking ramp, but it helps the feel and can avoid galling if it is not lubed.

Adding a longer bolt handle can make a substantial difference.

I didn't expect it to make it lighter, I was just trying to smooth out the galling. I was responding to @NSI question about whether polishing made a "big improvement," which I assumed to be in regard to heaviness of the bolt lift.

Reactions: NSI
OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks guys. I looked at some add on bolt knobs. might try that route. If that doesnt work to my liking I will look at a longer handle.