Lightweight Tikka t3x stock (peak 44, stockysstock, wildcat)

OP
V
I owned a Tikka in 300 WSM and sold it over the winter. It had a lot of back-end snort due to being a light gun with a low comb, even suppressed. I wouldn’t want to make it lighter without a stock that significantly improved the ergos.

The torque specs for the action bolts on the Peak 44 stocks are 55 inch pounds. I use 65 on my Tikkas with the factory stock and on one with a VG hunter. The gun with the VG hunter is 7.8# with a 19 oz scope mounted. My general feeling is that the Stocky’s have a thicker and stiffer carbon outer shell for a similar weight of the stock. The Peak stock is still a really good stock. I still have one on a Howa 1500. I just prefer the Stocky’s a bit over it.
This is exactly what I worry about, my shoulder starts to get sore after 25-30 rounds. Then I notice my groups opening up slightly. Im pretty consistent at shooting 1” at 100yards until my 4th to 5th 5 round grouping. I am a larger human 6’2 and 240 (in shape) so I do absorb recoil different than others. I should note these aren’t back to back groups, they are with rest and barrel cooling, often times shooting my 22 and 223 in between.

Do you just prefer the VG stockys over the peak 44 for the Vertical grip?

Just re read your original comment which explained why you prefer the stockys VG

OP
V
I’m thinking by this forum I’m better off getting the peak 44 over the others or keeping this plastic stock. Peak 44 won’t have much improvement. It will offer a more comfortable feel, weight improvement and maybe a slight felt recoil/muzzle lift reduction vs the tikka stock. By the comments of others the rest just reduce weight and not much else changes other then stiffness. I really do wish I could get comfortable with Vertical grip stocks for hunting but I was just never comfortable using it the one year I did which is why I’m stuck on sporter style stocks.

ElPollo

WKR
This is exactly what I worry about, my shoulder starts to get sore after 25-30 rounds. Then I notice my groups opening up slightly. Im pretty consistent at shooting 1” at 100yards until my 4th to 5th 5 round grouping. I am a larger human 6’2 and 240 (in shape) so I do absorb recoil different than others. I should note these aren’t back to back groups, they are with rest and barrel cooling, often times shooting my 22 and 223 in between.

Do you just prefer the VG stockys over the peak 44 for the Vertical grip?

Just re read your original comment which explained why you prefer the stockys VG
My experience with the WSM was similar. I found that I shot my smaller caliber guns consistently better and that recoil was a thing for me despite not also not being a small guy.

Most vertical grips suck. I find that chassis put the vertical grips too far below the bore line for me, which means they are more sensitive to errors with your grip on the gun. Most standard VG stocks have too long of a trigger reach, which means you end up with your hand in the wrong position and your trigger finger not square to the trigger or your finger tips end up resting on the front of the grip. I modified my Stocky’s VG to reduce the trigger reach and I like it a lot now. I posted those mods in the Stocky’s VG thread and others have done similarly. If you fix the grip, that stick is a major improvement over a factory stock.

Honestly, though the RokStok sounds like the winner for you if the design doesn’t offend your sensibilities. The high negative comb puts the recoil in a straight line, reducing muzzle rise. The grip is slightly less vertical than a standard VG, but is better designed with a shorter trigger reach. It’s lighter than the factory Tikka and about the same weight as a Stocky’s VG Hunter, but would give you a significant ergonomic benefit for shooting.

Did you notice any reduction in felt recoil?
That Tikka is in 300wsm, and very light. The Stockys recoil pad was not helping, I put one of the limb savers on it, and that cured the problem. I’ve never found much recoil reduction in different stock designs.

ElPollo

WKR
That Tikka is in 300wsm, and very light. The Stockys recoil pad was not helping, I put one of the limb savers on it, and that cured the problem. I’ve never found much recoil reduction in different stock designs.
The issue isn’t so much recoil reduction as much as it is direction. A low comb and butt relative to the bore results in more muzzle rise which means the comb is coming up into your cheek and you lose or sight picture. A higher comb/butt makes for a recoil impulse that comes more staring back. The perceived recoil is generally less in the latter situation. But you are right, stock design is not going to resolve the recoil issue and a lighter gun will make it worse.

That said, I know the OP said they were Canadian, which means suppressors are off the table. Normally I do not recommend brakes because of the increased muzzle blast and potential for hearing damage even with protection (I hate ending up next to brakes at the range). But if one really wants to go lighter in a WSM, a big brake or suppressor is the way to go. If a brake, use good ear pro even when hunting. One shot without it will resulting in the sort of permanent tinnitus and high frequency hearing loss that I have, and it’s not fun.

The other option is to sell the WSM, buy a smaller gun, and maximize your wound channels through your bullet selection. Honestly, if you can get similar wound channels with something that recoils 10-15 pounds or less instead of 25-30 pounds, why bother with the latter. That’s the route I went.

The issue isn’t so much recoil reduction as much as it is direction. A low comb and butt relative to the bore results in more muzzle rise which means the comb is coming up into your cheek and you lose or sight picture. A higher comb/butt makes for a recoil impulse that comes more staring back. The perceived recoil is generally less in the latter situation. But you are right, stock design is not going to resolve the recoil issue and a lighter gun will make it worse.

That said, I know the OP said they were Canadian, which means suppressors are off the table. Normally I do not recommend brakes because of the increased muzzle blast and potential for hearing damage even with protection (I hate ending up next to brakes at the range). But if one really wants to go lighter in a WSM, a big brake or suppressor is the way to go. If a brake, use good ear pro even when hunting. One shot without it will resulting in the sort of permanent tinnitus and high frequency hearing loss that I have, and it’s not fun.

The other option is to sell the WSM, buy a smaller gun, and maximize your wound channels through your bullet selection. Honestly, if you can get similar wound channels with something that recoils 10-15 pounds or less instead of 25-30 pounds, why bother with the latter. That’s the route I went.
I might be a little conditioned to it, I’ve been shooting heavy recoiling guns longer than I have been hunting. But I’ve also been shooting suppressed almost all the time, so I forget about the effects of muzzle blast. Personally, I seek out light weight first and deal with the rest, a good recoil pad goes a long way from my experience.

t-storm

FNG
Looking for some info on a few stocks I have narrowed my search down to. This will be going on a tikka t3x superlite hunting rifle and the gun doesn't get taken past 600 yards on the range. I have a hard stop at 400 yards for hunting purposes. All of these stocks are around 20 oz and yes I know there are other threads but there is not much info on stockys and how it compares.

Options
1. Peak 44 Blacktooth
2. Stockystock ultra carbon hunter
3. Wildcat stock (I am Canadian)

I've read good reviews on the peak 44 and wildcat stocks but I cannot find much on stockys, With the recent price jump on wildcats I'm not seeing much benefit to save a bit more $$ and not get the carbon fiber, but could be swayed back to wildcat.

Thanks in advance.
This is the barrel channel on peak 44 with spotter contour and tikka t3x barrel. Lot of gap

Attachments

• IMG_0399.jpeg
    IMG_0399.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 27

KU_Geo

WKR
This is the barrel channel on peak 44 with spotter contour and tikka t3x barrel. Lot of gap
I see three options for barrel contour on the website: T3x lite, T3x compact, and sendero. Did you order the T3x lite contour?

Mine has proof sendero barrel and and the inlet is spot on for that barrel.

t-storm

FNG
I see three options for barrel contour on the website: T3x lite, T3x compact, and sendero. Did you order the T3x lite contour?

Mine has proof sendero barrel and and the inlet is spot on for that barrel.
It was sporter contour for t3x. I called and had a conversation with Jacob and found out they don’t make it for the factory barrel. They have the specs on website, my mistake not doing proper comparison to factory stock. Might fit roughtech, but not t3x regular.